User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Feb 2003, 14:37   #1
Ruler
leecher

Ruler is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up para jump buttons

Nice of them to make those para jump buttons in gal screen!

But I really think they should swap the buttons around, cause now you go down in para when you bush up
Really confusing if you ask me!
Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 14:51   #2
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of
They are the right way round if you think of the universe like a plain.

Press the down button to move down through the clusters, or rows. And up to move up them, ie lower numbers but 'north' on the plain.

The left and right buttons move left and right thought the galaxies, or columns, within the cluster.
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 14:54   #3
Ruler
leecher

Ruler is an unknown quantity at this point
If you like at it like that you are right indeed
Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 14:58   #4
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
So PA is now a 2D plain

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

And hence the buttons are there as vectors. As I already said, this is logical at a mensa convention, but a mensa convention PA is not. It is over-complicating it really imo, having it so that the up button increases the cluster, and the down button decreases it makes it more logical within the human mind. You have to put some thought into it when thinking of it as a plain (and I suspect the less mathematically inclined people of the community will not apreciate this admittedly minor "feature").

I fail to see the benefit of doing it this way, yes, it may seem more realistic, and may be logical in one way, but in the end, it is just an annoying thing when you don't realise that the creators have tried to make the buttons vectors, and you end up going the wrong way. It is nice to see them there, but I think it would be a little more player-friendly and simpler if you made it so that the up increases the cluster.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 15:02   #5
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of
Its completely player friendly. Heh. Its no more difficult to think of the system as a plain, as above, than as + and - buttons. This whole thing is nearly as petty as saying the "^" and "v" are wrong because "v" stands for nothing to do with parallels and the hat symbol is used within calculator programs and programming to signify "to the power of", which again has no meaning in parallels.

Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 15:07   #6
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Kloopy
Its completely player friendly. Heh. Its no more difficult to think of the system as a plain, as above, than as + and - buttons. This whole thing is nearly as petty as saying the "^" and "v" are wrong because "v" stands for nothing to do with parallels and the hat symbol is used within calculator programs and programming to signify "to the power of", which again has no meaning in parallels.

I admit the point is minor, but nonetheless it is just one of those annoying little things that just cause a little annoyance. And your trying to dismiss the point by using something irrelevant and beyond petty to illustrate your point doesn't remove the original point.

I admit though that is is nothing more than a minor annoyance, just one of those things that I will throughout the round just be muttering under my breath every time I forget the "logical answer", so it is hardly something I think will cause any major effects, but I do think it is mildly annoying
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 15:12   #7
Pring
Sexy Man

Pring is an unknown quantity at this point
But, but.. I want the NUMBERS to go up/down.

I can see your argument but it really isn't the most intuitive way and designing a user interface is all about making the interface intuitive for the user.

Retired. (Thank ****)

M&S Forever!
Pring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 15:31   #8
Devo
Spinner Flamer Flamer

Devo is an unknown quantity at this point
Just be greatful you can access PA...

Some of us are still waiting for friends to decide if they are gonna give me the money to activate their account or not
Quote:
Originally posted by Zh|l
Why are you quoting me in your signature?
Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 15:33   #9
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
I'd always thought something like this would look better (if properly formatted ofc, this was a 2minute job):
http://solitaire.ouzohq.org/galpage.html
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 16:11   #10
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
logical?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

This should satisfy both the 2D visualisers AND the up=higher logic people.

So change the button to fit the original poster, and you visualisers swap your mindset.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 16:47   #11
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
But Chax, an Origin (for want of a better word) in the bottom-left would be normal, and fit in with people every-day perceptions of 2D "grids"...and that would be like "helpful".
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 16:49   #12
Muzzinator
Muzzy

Muzzinator is infamous around these partsMuzzinator is infamous around these parts
i've always thought of the pa universe as kloopy describes it above :S

"oh well, whatever, nevermind"
Muzzinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 16:56   #13
waassaa
unknown to all

waassaa is an unknown quantity at this point
lol, u guys can argue about anything.
first off, to whoever added them (kloopy ?) a big thx.

lol, now, me being ur avarage stupid pa player, first thing I did was go straight to #planetarion and ask if they were the wrong way round, so expect alot of....
[16:50] <waassaa> Question!!! is it my false logic, or are the Para arrows working the wrong way round !
and
[16:51] <A2> Kloopy reckons it's right that way round waassaa -- then again he's odd

now i really don't mind, but they are wrong

Not in any alliance, but to be found in the #LCH channel amongst others. Just wanted that cleared up.
waassaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 17:23   #14
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
They seem correct to me
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 19:55   #15
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by SYMM
But Chax, an Origin (for want of a better word) in the bottom-left would be normal, and fit in with people every-day perceptions of 2D "grids"...and that would be like "helpful".
yeah, it'd be very helpful, if indeed there was a 0:0 coordinate, but there isn't OK?
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 01:09   #16
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
(0,0) or (1,1) doesn't really make a difference. Basic Maths (or common sense?) dictates that bottom left is where to start from, so to increase x (cluster) go right, to increase y (parallel), go up.
I was agreeing with you...in a cynical/sarcastic/ironic way...but whatever.
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 01:16   #17
Sun Pin

Sun Pin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez
I'd always thought something like this would look better (if properly formatted ofc, this was a 2minute job):
http://solitaire.ouzohq.org/galpage.html
yep, that looks good
Sun Pin is offline   Reply With Quote