User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 13 Nov 2006, 18:43   #1
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of
Show Alliance Value

I did a quick search, and didn't find a thread on this but I'm sure its been discussed before.

Why not show an approximation of alliance value in the rankings? It would certainly be interesting to know who plays for XP and who plays for value.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 19:39   #2
Clogg
SiNíng is a lifestyle

Clogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to all
Re: Show Alliance Value

Oh furball will drop by soonish to tell it would be to easy to refine coords from the alliance value.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for it, I'm also for the ingame taging off planets, so I don't really see a problem with ally value. But from past experiences I know there are a few against this idea and they will make their objections known loudly.
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 20:26   #3
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogg
Oh furball will drop by soonish to tell it would be to easy to refine coords from the alliance value.
That's impossible right now and was almost impossible in the past. Right now it is impossible because alliances can contain more than 60 members but only 60 count towards the alliance score and size (and thus it should be towards the alliance value as well).

But, even if score/size/value of all members is counted, it still is a subset-sum problem. Those ain't trivial to solve, jester can tell you how often I tried and my final algorithm managed to trace alliances up to 8 members in reasonable time (~10 minutes), however, there could be multiple subsets found (=false positives wasting cpu time) and tracing down a 50 man alliance would take years.
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 20:46   #4
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogg

Don't get me wrong I'm all for it, I'm also for the ingame taging off planets, so I don't really see a problem with ally value. But from past experiences I know there are a few against this idea and they will make their objections known loudly.
Why me?

There was a superb thread on this where Jester (I think) established that it would be difficult, bordering on the impossible, to establish co-ord lists from public alliance values. I don't think it's lost to time though, so I'll keep searching - no luck so far.
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 21:37   #5
Heartless

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Why me?

There was a superb thread on this where Jester (I think) established that it would be difficult, bordering on the impossible, to establish co-ord lists from public alliance values. I don't think it's lost to time though, so I'll keep searching - no luck so far.
You are correct there. It is on PD iirc, xtothez and jester discussing there. With some other elysium bloke.
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 21:48   #6
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Indeed, hence the suggestion to show value. If its approximate then its even harder, or at least not any easier.
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 23:39   #7
Clogg
SiNíng is a lifestyle

Clogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to all

Sorry furball but I recalled from the previous thread that you mentioned that it could be done. No pun intended
Unread 14 Nov 2006, 11:14   #8
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why me?

The word you're looking for is intractable. And it is. The only thing revealing value would do is reduce the number of false positives. It would still take just as long (what comes after millenium?) to find the correct combination.
Unread 24 Nov 2006, 01:23   #9
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Sorry for the bump everyone, but I found that thread while searching for something else.

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=180115
Unread 24 Nov 2006, 03:10   #10
Heartless

Quote:
Sorry for the bump everyone, but I found that thread while searching for something else.

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=180115
And that perfectly demonstrates why it is a NP-heavy algorithm to solve the task of tracing down alliance members. Nowadays even impossible.
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 20:48   #11
The_Tyrant
Giddy little...

The_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to all

So does that mean we're going to see value in the next round? Whats the argument against it?
The_Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2006, 03:07   #12
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Can we get a pa team yes / no for this one? The community doesn't appear to be saying no!
Unread 3 Dec 2006, 10:46   #13
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Personally I belive that alliance and galaxy score should be calculated the same way that alliance score is now. And that for both of them standard normal value should be shown as well. I think value is important becuase it gives you an idea of the military strength of an alliance/galaxy, shich could be crucial in a decision to go to war etc.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2006, 14:18   #14
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Personally I belive that alliance and galaxy score should be calculated the same way that alliance score is now. And that for both of them standard normal value should be shown as well. I think value is important becuase it gives you an idea of the military strength of an alliance/galaxy, shich could be crucial in a decision to go to war etc.
well you and who else playing what? pa?

seems like you vision of a glorious game have missed the window by a mile by now
robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2006, 14:54   #15
Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by robban1
well you and who else playing what? pa?

seems like you vision of a glorious game have missed the window by a mile by now
Actually I like the idea of having only the best 75% of a galaxy contributing to the galaxy score. Gives you less incentive to exile a new player.

But of course there will still be the casual idiot buddypacks which will still insist on exiling newbies... (even if it's just for someone with more fleets for ingal def)
Unread 3 Dec 2006, 15:35   #16
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
Actually I like the idea of having only the best 75% of a galaxy contributing to the galaxy score. Gives you less incentive to exile a new player.

But of course there will still be the casual idiot buddypacks which will still insist on exiling newbies... (even if it's just for someone with more fleets for ingal def)
probably yes but i was more about the fact that its too late to fix the flat tire then you already have hit the wall with the car
robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2006, 15:44   #17
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Personally, I think you pull these opinions out of a random word generator.