User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 27 Nov 2006, 14:02   #1
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of
Daytime Attacks

...They just don't happen.

We've been discussing in #planetarion a way to improve the spread of attacks throughout the day to encourage a more balacned 24 hour game.

One way I suggest is that the XP you gain from stealing roids depends on the number of attacks currently on route in the Universe. So if you attack at night, when 600 other attack missions are flying about the Universe, you may get 50XP per roid stolen. If you attack during the day time, when currently there may only be 50 other attacks happening, you could get 250XP per roid.

The numbers there are obviously just examples and would need refining... The amount of XP gained would have to be enough to encourage day time attacks despite the higher chance of defence. But if it was balanced correctly (Yes, I know this is PA.) then we could well see a spread of attacks at all times of day rather than just when the majority of the playerbase (Europeans) are asleep.
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2006, 14:05   #2
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of
Re: Daytime Attacks

Nice idea.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2006, 18:35   #3
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

That would be good, but in a way it would advantage those players (particularly Americans, New Zealanders and my fellow Australians) disproportionally to people of other countries. To be fair, we tend to be the loudest critics when a proposal that would benefit one timezone more than other is suggested (most frequently, a "sleep" time which would be mostly used by europeans), and thus immediately supporting this suggesion would be hipocritical.

However, it is an interesting way to try and spread out the attacks, and reward players for attacking at times that are more traditionally suicide attacks and lemming runs due to the alertness of alliances and so on.

An alternative is that there is a certain amount of "bonus XP" in a pool every tick; and each fleet landing at that tick is entitled to a proportion of that pool - ie, if 1000* XP was available per tick, and say that during the 0300 to 0600 when attacks are commonly launched, all those fleets get about 5 XP each (200 fleets per tick) - whereas at 12pm a fleet would get something like 100 or 200 XP bonus for landing. That way it doesnt have to depend on you capping, or doesnt disproportionally give more XP to those who would have capped more and so on, but does provide some encouragement to attack at alternative times.

Other problems would be that DCs might have to hang around longer if the attacking window opens out.

*all figures subject to common sense and viability considerations, merely suggested for illustrative purposes.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2006, 18:52   #4
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

i attack whenever i have fleets home, and have varied success, todays pa is alot different, you have to keep fleets flying 24/7, noone waits to launch at night anymore
Unread 28 Nov 2006, 23:09   #5
Ver

Ver is an unknown quantity at this point

I land most attacks during the day ... less allie def, it all been soaked during the night ... most ppl got no ships home ... higher risk for FC's though ...
Ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2006, 00:46   #6
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver
I land most attacks during the day ... less allie def, it all been soaked during the night ... most ppl got no ships home ... higher risk for FC's though ...
On the contrary - FCs are imo easier to cover at the landing time of attacks launched around midday. 8/9/10 probably brings the highest activity levels for planetarion, thus more defence ships available. As you also said, ally (including your own should you opt for one) def is out in the morning, and tends to be returned by the time you land.

Its the attacks that launch in these most popular evening activity times and land when defence is scarce at 4am that can really be fleetcaught with ease - especially with pre-launching.

In short, if you don't want attacks to ALL be launched at 3/4/5am, remove pre-launch. I'm not asking you to but merely saying its one or the other.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2006, 10:05   #7
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Are there any statistics on launch times?
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2006, 19:49   #8
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

there is a timezone neutral option.

an individual gets more XP if they launch attacks at a time they do not normally launch attacks at. (we simple need to collect statisitcs on their launches per "time period" to calculate this).

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2006, 19:50   #9
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
there is a timezone neutral option.

an individual gets more XP if they launch attacks at a time they do not normally launch attacks at. (we simple need to collect statisitcs on their launches per "time period" to calculate this).
But then that'd remove all strategy from deciding when to launch

The proposal is that XP acts as an incentive to launch at a non-standard time. I like both versions - Kloopy's and Sovereign's.
Unread 29 Nov 2006, 20:05   #10
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
But then that'd remove all strategy from deciding when to launch

The proposal is that XP acts as an incentive to launch at a non-standard time. I like both versions - Kloopy's and Sovereign's.
true.

I think the problem is not so much that everyone launches at night, but that if you are a "normal" person with say 7 hours sleep, 7.5 hours at work, there are very few actual launch windows you can use. I'd suggest that its wrong to reward people for not launching at thoose times as you are then rewarding activity over skill.

On first glance I thought both Kloopy and Sov's ideas were great, but now I'm conerned over the deeper effects.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 30 Nov 2006, 03:57   #11
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
a "normal" person with say 7 hours sleep, 7.5 hours at work,
First off, i bloody well want your job, if you're only working 7.5 a day. That's just crazy. I work longer than that, plus traveltime to and fro, and saturdays too .

Perhaps that's why Australia's economy is booming whilst "relaxed europe" is off taking a siesta?

Quote:
there are very few actual launch windows you can use. I'd suggest that its wrong to reward people for not launching at thoose times as you are then rewarding activity over skill.
Its true, there are certain possible windows for each person; pretty much when you're online. There are two issues though;

Firstly, each individual person is their own person - their schedule is likely to be different than others, eg someone in Germany would be an hour ahead of someone in France, and thus presumably launches a tick earlier (or whatever). SOme people can log on at work/uni/school?, but presently there isnt really much reason to as they couldnt attack anyway due to the unfavourable launch time(s) would make it suicide. Granted, it would give the hyperactive player who took the time to calculate exactly how many fleets were landing at a certain time or whatever, and then chose to optimise their launch time, but frankly i cant see that the (200?) XP gains from launching at an irregular time would a) be a large proportion of XP given the sheer quantity given through roid gain, and b) be worth risking a valuable fleet to attack at any time other than the safest time(s) to maximise roid gain and minimise fleetcatching.

My second point is that there is a feature in the game known as "prelaunch" - even if you've only just logged in, you can still launch an attack in 4 hours time so that it lands during a time when you're online to check it. sure, we know the risks involved with prelaunch, but now that there are gains for unconventional landing times, its just a matter of whether risk = reward, and imo that's something for each individual player to decide.
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 19:40   #12
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
First off, i bloody well want your job, if you're only working 7.5 a day. That's just crazy. I work longer than that, plus traveltime to and fro, and saturdays too .

Perhaps that's why Australia's economy is booming whilst "relaxed europe" is off taking a siesta?
37 hour week is reaosnably standard for office based job in the UK. A few places are 40 hours, but its rarely more. Granted sometimes I work longer etc, but 7.5 horu sis pretty normal for a day (thoguh that means 8.5 hours in total at work if u include launch + 2 horus travel in total)

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 30 Nov 2006, 19:48   #13
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
37 hour week is reaosnably standard for office based job in the UK. A few places are 40 hours, but its rarely more. Granted sometimes I work longer etc, but 7.5 horu sis pretty normal for a day (thoguh that means 8.5 hours in total at work if u include launch + 2 horus travel in total)
All I can say is WOW, no wonder Europeans have trouble competing....

Anyway back on topic I think another solution is to market the game to more American/aussie/kiwi tastes and thereby increase the percentage of players from these time zones and significantly decrease the advantage of attacking at particular times. Also a very scary percentages of Europeans who play this game apparently don't sleep at all and are up all ni ght playing this game. So I think rather then trying to force people to attack at specific times albeit through bonuses I think it would be more benifficial to widen the geographic player base. We should make a chinese version of PA, lots of untapped Chinese who need an outlit!

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2006, 03:07   #14
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Australia's economys is booming? Who told you that ?!?!?!?
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2006, 05:48   #15
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne
Australia's economys is booming? Who told you that ?!?!?!?
UN, but I suppose he can be a unrelyable sorce.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2006, 08:11   #16
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
37 hour week is reaosnably standard for office based job
How about being on topic and replying to the actual point of the post? Is silence disagreement?

Somehow i always manage to get people to talk about whatever i'm not talking about.

I think i am hated .