User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 9 Nov 2006, 01:17   #1
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts
production times

how about a step back to longer production times for various classes? as it is now ppl dont have to build stuff and can cover themselves pretty easy.

i have seen this for quite some rounds now and i can see a pattern that ppl dont build stuff so there isnt any real def in allies or gals and so on, it leads to an egoistic playstyle that doesnt help allies or gals

i think pa as a game should encurage teamplay by giving some dynamic back to the playfield
robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2006, 01:18   #2
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: production times

agree

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2006, 01:24   #3
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

In a way, having different production times would be a bit unfair on certain races.

In R3ish, it used to take ~6 hours for Fighters, 8 for Corvettes, 12 for Frigates, 16 for Destroyers, 20 for Cruisers and 24 for Battleships.

Now, lets say you've got ETA 8 incomings (FR/DE). Thus all races who have their primary anti FR/DE in Corvettes or Fighters have the opportunity to build themselves out of it without requiring a change in Engineering. Similarly, a FI/CO ETA 7 attack with a race who's anti FI/CO are Fighters will similarly gain from it. Other races who are very Battleship dependent will find that attacking is a pain because their ships are a couple of ticks away from finishing, yet they need them now; so they have a choice of attacking with yesterday's fleet or wait till later to be re-enforced.

Thus, such a proposal would generally favour Xans over Terrans, for example. If that's ok, then its ok; but generally i prefer an even playing field.

Yes, i know if you make the times less drastic, then you dodge many of the problems; but the building yourself out of trouble still would apply to certain races.

But robban, its good t o see you making a thoughtful and positive post!
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2006, 01:24   #4
Error

Error is just really niceError is just really niceError is just really niceError is just really niceError is just really nice

i think it would work, resourcing hording is a good tactic, but if we change it people in average alliances might be able to launch decent attacks

Proud to have been ND
Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2006, 05:37   #5
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Try it in a speedgame and see how well it's recieved. Personally I don't like the old style pro\duction of ships but it is closer to being realistic.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2006, 08:47   #6
Cedlind
[SiN] HC

Cedlind is an unknown quantity at this point

A +1 "penalty" in production time for FR/DE and +2 for CR/BS, like in traveltime, actually sounds like a good idea in my ears.

The "R3ish way" mentioned above doesn't, much for the same reasons mentioned in the same post.
<@Clogg|zZzZz> you get that with most nicks tbh
SiN->SiNND *shivers*->SiN->TGV->really long break->Asc
Cedlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2006, 18:21   #7
rop1964
F Crew

rop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nice

if such idea as lenghtning the production time of ship is applied.. then a way to shorten it should be offer too.. maybe buy build more factory type of the ships.. up to a minimum time of production.. so let say a xan can produce ship on eta 5..
see it lenghten to 6 .. he could build 1-2 more factory to return to 5..
same with terran bs.. building more factory cut on production time.. which would in turn add a different stratgy to game..
do i build faster.. or do i build more ''defensive'' construction.. or raffinery or whatever...

[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]uked
rop1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 01:29   #8
MaD_Fr34k
Wondering!?!

MaD_Fr34k is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedlind
A +1 "penalty" in production time for FR/DE and +2 for CR/BS, like in traveltime, actually sounds like a good idea in my ears
sounds like a good idea, because if it were real then a small ship like harpy would only take a small amount of time to make, and battle ships a bit longer, being terran i know that getting attacking quickly can be a bit of a slow process as u cant get pods till you get a medium factory and the second research in ships (can take some time compared to all other races as they can get pods practically strait away) but i think that it would be welcomed in to the game.
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 02:17   #9
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD_Fr34k
sounds like a good idea, because if it were real then a small ship like harpy would only take a small amount of time to make, and battle ships a bit longer, being terran i know that getting attacking quickly can be a bit of a slow process as u cant get pods till you get a medium factory and the second research in ships (can take some time compared to all other races as they can get pods practically strait away) but i think that it would be welcomed in to the game.
True, but you dont generally order only 1 harpy or 1 battleship; you tend to order like 1k harpies or 10 battleships, so in that way it might take roughly the same amount of time .

However, what was suggested above could still work; i actually like the idea that building more factories slightly (eg, -1 tick) reduces the production time for that class of ship (eg, FI/CO for light factories). Combined with a +1 for FR/DE and +2 for CR/BA, i think that might be a workable and viable change that's small enough just to liven up production a bit (cos really, nothing's changed since R10 there ).
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 16:25   #10
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

This actually makes good sense - and pretty much only affects those who build ships for defence.

As it stands, a planet can get ETA 9 incs (BS say) and a terran can build Basilisks and send them in time (4 + 5). Not to mention defending themselves with ease.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote