User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Aug 2006, 21:12   #1
teknik
Antagonist

teknik has a spectacular aura aboutteknik has a spectacular aura about
Xp

My suggestion is that we put XP back to the way it was a few rounds ago, last round i played was 14 and i think it was fine then. I realise the whole asc thing (damn you bwtmc!) made people whine and obviously crybabies whining = game fundamentally changed but in my opinion it needs to be changed back.

Ziks obviously always have the massive value advantage so XP means nothing to them, so we see 60% of the t100 being zik (and that number will only go up as the round crawls to a close) shortly after a big XP "nerf" and we think the stats are uneven? We know stealing is a huge conundrum in terms of balance, so why do we make it even more important by reducing the importance of XP?

obviously the fear of "another asc" is there, but you have to ask your selves, the other major players that round must have felt mighty silly losing out to them and they probably won't let it happen again. As with the Spanish Inquisition, one of the key elements of this kind of tactic is surprise which is gone now.

I personally am not an XP whore style player but i'm not an advocate of reducing options and styles of play in the game, we shouldn't be forcing everyone to just play one way. the argument that XP whores are "unstoppable" is just plain daft, as now a days we know that the only way to really cripple a player's growth is to fleetcatch them, and this is even more true of an XP whore. sure you can't take away their XP but you can stop their growth dead by taking out their attackfleet.

This suggestion would really help balance the races in my opinion, as i know a lot of terrs and xans who have just given up this round because their chances of getting into the t100 are non existant.
Unread 18 Aug 2006, 21:14   #2
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts
Re: Xp

ohnoes. not another XP thread =(
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2006, 21:17   #3
add100
add

add100 has a spectacular aura aboutadd100 has a spectacular aura about

well did XP not make alot of ppl unhappy and thats why PA is geting less and less ppl playing it now ?
r21 Wolfpack
r22 Jenova
r23 Destiny
add100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2006, 21:57   #4
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I agree, as I've repeated over and over again.

The formula should be reverted to a slightly nerfed version of the r16 formula (either make it harder to get XP or make the XP count less towards score).

Then write stats that accomodate the need to prevent free roids - so no easy landing on Zik.

As teknik said, no wonder that in a value-whoring round the top race is Zik.
Unread 18 Aug 2006, 22:24   #5
SpookyVince
The Force of Spookyness

SpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I agree, as I've repeated over and over again.

The formula should be reverted to a slightly nerfed version of the r16 formula (either make it harder to get XP or make the XP count less towards score).

Then write stats that accomodate the need to prevent free roids - so no easy landing on Zik.

As teknik said, no wonder that in a value-whoring round the top race is Zik.
Being zik, I must totally agree on those 2 things... Very easy landings, especially in the beginning of the game, but that's the "normal" defect of ziks, no?, and easy to get to higher ranks because of value.
SpookyVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2006, 22:44   #6
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

i'm still for the return of dying steal ships combined their initiative being between the normal ships (kill/emp) and pods, thus init 20 or so. This would make Zik a tad harder to roid (as swapping ships for roids won't work anymore), and at the same time make it harder for Ziks to get ships levelling the value playing field for quite nice.
Unread 19 Aug 2006, 15:24   #7
teknik
Antagonist

teknik has a spectacular aura aboutteknik has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandows
i'm still for the return of dying steal ships combined their initiative being between the normal ships (kill/emp) and pods, thus init 20 or so. This would make Zik a tad harder to roid (as swapping ships for roids won't work anymore), and at the same time make it harder for Ziks to get ships levelling the value playing field for quite nice.
I'd rather we just got the armour/cost ratio right for stealers to make sure its not *too* easy to steal, but not impossible either. but thats a different thread imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by add100
well did XP not make alot of ppl unhappy and thats why PA is geting less and less ppl playing it now ?
Sadly XP is a necessary evil. before xp people were being fleet caught and going from first place to 2000th, and that wasn't that fun when it happened to you, which is bad for the game as it makes people quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighteh
ohnoes. not another XP thread =(
hmm I had a quick scroll through thread names and I didnt see any about XP apart from Wandows thread about XP being like XP in MMO's, so you're ships kinda level up with xp (which i dont like as an idea btw :P). Apologies if this has been discussed to death already

Last edited by teknik; 19 Aug 2006 at 15:31.
teknik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2006, 12:36   #8
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

I still believe appoco's exponential xp formula was a fantastic solution.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote