User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 2 Feb 2006, 20:34   #1
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future
5.1 sound in windows media player.

For some reason, though i have a sound card capable of utilising 5.1 surround sound and use it regularly in film and game play, windows media player bucks all convention and proceeds to only use the front three speakers and sub.. The other week I tested it, and turned all but my central speaker volumes down to nil, yet with WMP the front side speakers continued to work perfectly..
The aim of this post i guess is to see if someone can give me some help setting up WMP to use my 5.1 surround, (which is set as default for my pc), fully. Any help given will be gratefully received.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 20:43   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: 5.1 sound in windows media player.

windows media player cant use 5.1 channels if the sound is only in stereo format, ie 2.0

Its strange the drivers havent adapted it to use all 5 speakers though, mine always did
What soundcard do you have?
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 20:54   #3
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

Hhhm, interesting, can anyone recommend to me then an audio player that will utilise surround sound?
To Phil^ iirc I have a creative soundmax card, though it has been a few years since i put it in.. Also how about songs that are designed to be used in surround sound? Such as Aphex Twins- Bouncing Balls track which uses surround sound to deliver the sound in waves around a person, as i have found this song to have the same problem.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 20:59   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

hm

go to control panel, sounds and audio devices, and under the speaker settings press advanced
ensure they are set in 5.1 mode
similarly for any driver software which came with your card - make sure its set up for 5.1 mode.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 21:09   #5
TheBerk
dazed and confused

I've done that many times, it doesn't see to make a difference.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 21:18   #6
Phil^
Insomniac

does it do the same if you use something else to play the file? like winamp or something.
If it does, then its a system issue and not a wmp issue
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 22:08   #7
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Take it form a musician. Windows Media Player, is shit.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2006, 16:14   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think you misunderstand how PC surround sound works.
Assuming you're playing standard MP3s, media player is producing output in stereo and sending it off to directsound. DS then gives that to the soundcard driver, which gives it to the actual hardware. It's up to the driver to do any fiddling with the sound to upmix to 5.1, not media player, as Microsoft haven't licensed any upmix tech for media player (nor have they developed thier own).

For example, I have a Creative Audigy2 ZS. It has four modes to handle upmixing.
1) Do nothing (front 3 speakers + sub only - centre speaker uses 50/50 mix of L/R at a lower volume)
2) CMSS Music (creative's version of dolby prologic music mode)
3) CMSS Movie (creative's version of dolby prologic movie mode)
4) Dual stereo (both left speakers do left, both right speakers do right, centre speaker works as in "1", and sub)

I usually leave it on 4.
I use Power DVD to play DVDs or downloaded TV episodes, and that has it's own implimentation of real Dolby ProLogic2 so always sends a 5.1 signal to DS (either real 5.1 from the DVD or interpreted 5.1 from running the 2 channel source through it's DPL filter).
Games that support surround sound also send 5.1 to DS, otherwise it works the same as playing a stereo MP3 in media player (ie. it falls back to the soundcard to decide what to do with it, which depends on which mode I've set).

The only way you'll get guarunteed reproduceable surround sound audio is to buy a DVDA disc of a surround sound album. Everything else is just guesswork by the soundcard or audio player if it has the technology.
If you're happy with interpreted surround then play your MP3s through a player that has Dolby ProLogic (or equivilant).