User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 28 Jan 2003, 10:58   #1
Ðiscorporation

Yay, a new pc! But what cooler?

That Zalman CNPS6000Cu, is it any good?
(Its for a Socket A 2200AXP A7N board)

I'll have 4 casefans in a tower, perhaps the Zalman cooler is a tad too much?

(I'm not going to OC it yet. I first ahve to experiment with my old pc)
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 12:14   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
A few things you need to ask yourself.

Are you going to ever OC? It sounds like you are from your post.

Are you after a *quiet* PC? Since you already have 4 case fans they must make a fair bit of noise altogether, even if they are silent designed fans.

How much are you willing to spend?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 15:00   #3
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!
A few things you need to ask yourself.

Are you going to ever OC? It sounds like you are from your post.

Are you after a *quiet* PC? Since you already have 4 case fans they must make a fair bit of noise altogether, even if they are silent designed fans.

How much are you willing to spend?

- Yes. Though, if I'm going to OC, I'll buy a liquid cooling set or a vapochill-like case. (Plus I first need to experiment with my old pc)

- As long as it doens't sound like a vacuum cleaner on speed, its fine by me (I'm prolly going for 2-4 Papp casefans)

I'm willing to spend up to 50 euro on a fan (yes, a lot).
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 15:09   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Good, cos the zalman is quite expensive.

this is my machine:
XP2000+
the same Zalamn cooler, a dual fan PSU, and no case fans
Idle temp (in a room at 22C or whatever "comfortable" room temp is) is between 58C and 61C. Stress temp is between 65C and 67C.
Those are quite high, but they are well within the operational abilities of the chip and this system is rock-solid stable. It's never EVER randomly crashed in the year since it became the system it currently is (I don't upgrade to new systems, I just slowly upgrade the parts in THIS one then build 'new' old ones out of the leftovers when i have enough). The only times it has crashed has been through a) me ****ing something up (installing win9x drivers for my TV card - now that was a bright idea ) or b) crap programs that crash anyway.

The XP2200+ should run cooler than the XP2000+ if you get the new core, so your temps should be a few degrees below mine anyway, quite without case fans.

Oh and btw, those temps are with the Zalman's fan on it's lowest possible speed setting (about 1500RPM). At that speed it makes no discernable noise at all. I did try connecting it to a 12v battery and closing the case so it was the only thing going just to see, and it is indeed silent.

Unread 28 Jan 2003, 15:18   #5
Ðiscorporation

\o/

That makes one zalman

I'll still go for the case fans, though. I have nasty, nasty experiences with any temperature above 46 degrees C =/

I'll have a Tbred core. When the barton cores are cheaper then now, I'll buy me one of those, but for now, I'l be satisfied with a Tbred
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 15:31   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
My XP2000+ is, as far as i know, the oldest core (palamino).
Yours will be cooler.

Unread 28 Jan 2003, 15:46   #7
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
My XP2000+ is, as far as i know, the oldest core (palamino).
Yours will be cooler.

My old pc has a duron cpu =/

you can see why I need an upgrade
(46 degrees and the pc crashes! wtf is up with that!?)
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 16:27   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

It could be that other components are getting too hot.
If the chipset gets too hot the system can become very unstable (since it controlls just about every IO fuction, including disks). This problem is more common than you'd think, because while CPUs have a nice big fan blasting on them, it is very focussed most of the time and only cools the CPU - leaving the chipset to get too hot sometimes (it's generally near the CPU).
The Zalman nicely solves that too since it's insanely large fan blows air over both the CPU and the chipset.

Unread 28 Jan 2003, 16:31   #9
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
It could be that other components are getting too hot.
If the chipset gets too hot the system can become very unstable (since it controlls just about every IO fuction, including disks). This problem is more common than you'd think, because while CPUs have a nice big fan blasting on them, it is very focussed most of the time and only cools the CPU - leaving the chipset to get too hot sometimes (it's generally near the CPU).
The Zalman nicely solves that too since it's insanely large fan blows air over both the CPU and the chipset.

\o/

My nice old pc has its case open and a desk-fan blowing at it to keep it cool. Perhaps a wee lil heatsink for the n-bridge (or the other one) might solve it.

Essentially not y problem, since I'm going to give the pice of poo to my mother after I'm done playing with it.

muhuha
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 18:12   #10
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
you could set it up as a gateway once you're done

if you want any other bg info there's some handy bits in my cooling queries thread I made a while ago - dunno if anything new to you will appear there
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 00:10   #11
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
When did you acquire your AXP2200+?

and if possible, can you quote what it says on the CPU?

It should be on a black sticker below the core and begins with, for example "AX2200 blah blah blah", next line "AXDA blah blah blah" about 3-4 lines.

I have a feeling that your CPU is an older core... but I could always be wrong

Last edited by Luckeh!!!!; 29 Jan 2003 at 00:26.
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 10:40   #12
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
When did you acquire your AXP2200+?

and if possible, can you quote what it says on the CPU?

It should be on a black sticker below the core and begins with, for example "AX2200 blah blah blah", next line "AXDA blah blah blah" about 3-4 lines.

I have a feeling that your CPU is an older core... but I could always be wrong
I'm going to have to buy the new CPU first. I'm going to be very sure it's going to be a T-bred

My old cpu is a Duron (a diagnostic tool said it was a K5 =///)
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 15:03   #13
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
I also have the Zalman 6000CU on my 1700+ and my proc is around 50-55 degrees stressed. I could get it a tad cooler if I didn't mount one of the casefans the wrong way around (have to change that one day, if I can be arsed to get the case from under the desk).
The Zalman is VERY sensitive to a good airflow in the case because of the flower design. So a case fan or two wil make a good difference.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 16:42   #14
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
Originally posted by ÐiSCoRPoRaTioN
I'm going to have to buy the new CPU first. I'm going to be very sure it's going to be a T-bred

My old cpu is a Duron (a diagnostic tool said it was a K5 =///)
ALL AXP2200+ cpus are Tbreds but I'm not sure if the revised core tbred core for the AXP2200+ is in general circulation yet.

Can you not stretch it to an AXP2400+?
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 17:01   #15
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Just get one of these and do what hardocp have done here and here
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 17:02   #16
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
ALL AXP2200+ cpus are Tbreds but I'm not sure if the revised core tbred core for the AXP2200+ is in general circulation yet.

Can you not stretch it to an AXP2400+?
well, those 200 lil points'll cost me 60 euro's more. whicch is not what I want to do
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 17:07   #17
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
Originally posted by BesigedB
Just get one of these and do what hardocp have done here and here
i'd rather buy the other case, which is cheaper and gets the temp 20-30 degrees lower
But, i'm going to order the pc now so its all too late

mwahaha
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 17:57   #18
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
well, those 200 lil points'll cost me 60 euro's more. whicch is not what I want to do
In that case, unless you can definitely get the correct stepping for the AXP2200+,

I would get a Tbred AXP2100+ instead.
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 19:22   #19
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
In that case, unless you can definitely get the correct stepping for the AXP2200+,

I would get a Tbred AXP2100+ instead.
Could you explain me why?
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 20:05   #20
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

because although the AXP2200+ will definitely be a Tbred, it might be the first tbred revision that AMD did, this revision can't OC very much and runs excessively hot.

What I'm trying to say, unless you can get the 2nd revision of the tbred AXP2200+ it might be more prudent to get a Tbred AXP2100+ instead since it runs alot cooler and OCs like a c0w on speed.
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 20:07   #21
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
£360 for a VapoChill case compared to £35 for a Zalman flower jobby - with that price difference you could do save lots leaving teh money for doing other things like RAM heat spreaders (default with the XMS modules tho) - altho not needed (simply saying), HDD cooler from Zalman - heck - go overboard and get zalman's full range!

imo. I'd only get the VapoChill case (standing at the current price) if I could spend the difference on a cpu and o/c'ing it - ie: I spend £100 on a AMD XP1700 Tbred, buy the VapoChill case, o/c the CPU to match a XP2800 in speeds which costs saying £200 more - then yeah - I'd probably buy the VapoChill case but personally, it looks ugly and I think the costs outweigh it imo.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores

Last edited by Androme; 29 Jan 2003 at 21:13.
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 20:29   #22
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
because although the AXP2200+ will definitely be a Tbred, it might be the first tbred revision that AMD did, this revision can't OC very much and runs excessively hot.

What I'm trying to say, unless you can get the 2nd revision of the tbred AXP2200+ it might be more prudent to get a Tbred AXP2100+ instead since it runs alot cooler and OCs like a c0w on speed.
I appreciate the advice. I don't worry [b] that much abut the heat anymore, though.

(ordered the parts, they should be arriving within a week \o/)
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 20:58   #23
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
My old pc has a duron cpu =/

you can see why I need an upgrade
(46 degrees and the pc crashes! wtf is up with that!?)
i counter u with this pc's celeron cpu now beat that but my new pc is beside me all built just need a graphics card its a amd athlon2000+ xp with asus a7n8x mobo and i have a cheiftec case
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 21:17   #24
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
Originally posted by cookiemay
i counter u with this pc's celeron cpu now beat that but my new pc is beside me all built just need a graphics card its a amd athlon2000+ xp with asus a7n8x mobo and i have a cheiftec case
I counter your celeron with a PII333Mhz pc!
(My REALLY old pc =/)
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 22:09   #25
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
I counter your celeron with a PII333Mhz pc!
(My REALLY old pc =/)
Did you ever try to compile a project with 10+ files in Visual C++ on a Pentium2 266? It's like a 10-15 minute job.... and if you change a single damn header file, you need to compile it all over again.
That's the situation I'm facing at "work" at the moment. I'll be sooooo happy when I get back to school next monday.

And much Much MUCH respect to those Microsoft people who compiled/linked the first Windows 95/98 on their soddy old boxes.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 22:20   #26
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
Did you ever try to compile a project with 10+ files in Visual C++ on a Pentium2 266? It's like a 10-15 minute job.... and if you change a single damn header file, you need to compile it all over again.
That's the situation I'm facing at "work" at the moment. I'll be sooooo happy when I get back to school next monday.

And much Much MUCH respect to those Microsoft people who compiled/linked the first Windows 95/98 on their soddy old boxes.
I'll pretend to know what you're talking about =/
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 23:10   #27
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

I remember executing a fairly long macro for Excel on my P200MMX, that was fun, I could have made a club sandwich, eaten it and still have time to have a cup of tea.
Unread 30 Jan 2003, 01:59   #28
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity

They cross compiled it. 'l33t'

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2003, 02:53   #29
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Those vaporchill cases are completely pointless unless you're some kind of O/C nut. I'm perfectly happy running my XP2000 at XP2000 speeds - especially as Athlon XPs are locked anyway so the only way I can OC is to increase the FSB speed which my graphics card takes an extreme dislike to. Then again, it also takes a dislike to just itself (rather than the bus) being O/C'd; guess that'll teach me why people don't buy from MSI.

What I find humerous is that I could get lower temperatures with an XP2400+ than this chip, which at least leaves me room for expansion in the future, especially as this board is good for far better than that (Asus A7V333 - good up to an XP2800 with the latest BIOS update).

As for compile times, when I first pratted about with Borland Tubo C++ on my 386, compiling the "hello world" example took a good 30 seconds or so.
A complete recompile of my scrolling space-invadery type game (256 colour graphics - wooo!) was a "hmm, what's on TV for the next half hour or so" decision. It certainly made you check your code carefully when you knew if you missed something you'd just wasted 30 minutes.

Unread 30 Jan 2003, 09:57   #30
Ðiscorporation

One question, though.

I've checked the ASUS site for bios updates, and there are two types of files, one for the BIOS and one for the chipset.

Should I d/l and execute both of them? What should I pay attention to when trying to flash the BIOS or update the chipset fingies?
Unread 30 Jan 2003, 11:10   #31
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
What I find humerous is that I could get lower temperatures with an XP2400+ than this chip,
I'm assuming you have the palomino, the newest Tbred-B revisions are with AXP2400+ and above, they have improved temperature thingy, lower core voltage and a smaller process than the Palomino allowing for higher speeds but also not creating so much heat.

As for the BIOS and chipset files, they are two different things.

You do not usually update the bios unless you got problems with it. As for chipset, it is usually always prudent to use the latest drivers.
Unread 30 Jan 2003, 14:30   #32
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Yup I have the palamino.

ÐiSCoRPoRaTioN - why do you want to do either?
As Luckeh said, chipset updates are drivers - you just install in windows (usually with VIA chipsets its to fix some incompatibility heh).
BIOS updates are to fix something majorly wrong with the board, or to add low level support for new hardware. Example if I wanted to run an XP2700+ in this board I'd need to upgrade to BIOS revision 1013, to add support for the 33Mhz FSB chips.
Flashing the BIOS is something you should NEVER do unless absolutely necessary - if it goes wrong, the only thing your motherboard is good for is perhaps chopping up to make one of those circuitboard mouse mats. This is because if the BIOS flash screws, the board wont boot in most cases - and if the board wont boot then you can't fix it.

Unread 30 Jan 2003, 16:21   #33
Ðiscorporation

Thanks for the advice,