User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Jun 2004, 19:35   #1
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts
[Football] Strikers for Chelsea

Ok given chelsea's open chequebook policy and the fact that none of their signings last season produced (nor did I expect them too) who would you sign?

I think it's well within chelsea's budget to sign someone proven, why go for a flavour of the season or 'youthful' potential? Let other teams do the work if you can afford the end product.

Anyway, Going with the Chelski thing, I think it's a crime that they haven't made moves for Andriy Shevchenko who I'd think would piss on RVN from a high height.

What about you?

(yes you can argue for chelsea's current strikers, but I think mutu still has 2 or 3 years to develop still and crespo is overrated tripe)

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 19:44   #2
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: [Football] Strikers for Chelsea

Frankly, if they stop the rotation policy for strikers maybe strikers like Crespo and Mutu will be able to score goals more often as this helps them to be on form.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 19:44   #3
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Abromovich went to Milan a few weeks ago and was told Shevchenko wasnt for sale at any price. More chance of them getting Henry i think. I think Ronaldinho's new contract has a £100 million release clause in it as well, so he wont be going anywhere.

Everyone at Everton seems to keep saying things along the lines of 'we wont accept £50 million for Rooney' but i cant see anyway they could refuse that. They arent exactly a rich club and are looking to get a new stadium, which 30-50 million would go quite a way to building. What Chelsea really need though is a good partnership rather than just buying good strikers. Jimmy and Gudjhonsen are a great partnership, if they had been used more last year Chelsea might have done even better.

I dont see the problem with buying youngsters, it secures the club for the future. They get a player cheaper because he isnt the finished product, and can then develop him into a great player (or loan him out) for a few years down the line. Then they can always sell him on for a profit. Freddy Adu would be an awesome signing .
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 19:49   #4
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

its not hot enough in london for larsson

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 20:12   #5
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
More chance of them getting Henry i think. I think Ronaldinho's new contract has a £100 million release clause in it as well, so he wont be going anywhere.
I can't see Henry leaving. He's always stated his love for Arsenal. He knows he could have been better off at Real Madrid for instance but chose to stay put.
As for Ronaldinho, £100m is still easy for Abramovic. The guy's too rich. If he wants someone, he won't stop just after one bid. He treats it all like a must-have fashion accessory.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 20:38   #6
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
I can't see Henry leaving. He's always stated his love for Arsenal. He knows he could have been better off at Real Madrid for instance but chose to stay put.
As for Ronaldinho, £100m is still easy for Abramovic. The guy's too rich. If he wants someone, he won't stop just after one bid. He treats it all like a must-have fashion accessory.
I wasnt trying to say Henry to Chelsea is a realistic transfer, i was just trying to ssay that Shevchenko wont be moving. Abromovich might be ridiculously rich but he is a business man, i'm sure he will realise that £100 million for a player is way too much to be paying when you could easily get someone else for a quarter of the price.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 20:41   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
i'm sure he will realise that £100 million for a player is way too much to be paying when you could easily get someone else for a quarter of the price.
Especially given, when he was on the £60m release clause, he turned down Chelsea's advances to sign the new contract with the £100m release clause.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 20:45   #8
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
i'm sure he will realise that £100 million for a player is way too much to be paying when you could easily get someone else for a quarter of the price.
As if £120m for another whole squad that would bring him a title straight away is not too much.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 20:46   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
As if £120m for another whole squad that would bring him a title straight away is not too much.
£30m for Gerrard is the 'word on the street*'

*back pages.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 20:48   #10
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If Rooney is supposedly worth £50 million (lol, did someone add an extra zero for a laugh?), why the hell is gerrard only worth £30 million?

Unread 20 Jun 2004, 20:49   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
If Rooney is supposedly worth £50 million (lol, did someone add an extra zero for a laugh?), why the hell is gerrard only worth £30 million?
Rooney isn't worth £50m. I doubt they'd turn down £20m, and he's only really worth that because of his age.

The Rooney number is off in the land of make believe, like Newcastle's '£100m if you want Woodgate'. £30m, on the other hand, is the highest transfer fee since Ronaldo, and the market's collapsed since then.

If I had £50m to spend, I'd spend all of it on trying to get Gerrard.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 20:55   #12
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

I personally believe Rooney is maybe worth a £10 million gamble. Maybe £15 million if he continues to improve some aspects of his game.

£30 million for gerrard is probably about fair.

never understood the woodgate thing, hes never really done much for me . I think his absence cause of the court bollocks seem to create this huge myth that he was this awesome godlike player that somehow Leeds / England missed terribly.

Unread 20 Jun 2004, 20:58   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Woodgate's a good defender; he's like a faster and slightly less skilled Terry.

The form of Newcastle's defense when he's been present this season compared to when he's not is testament to his ability.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 21:02   #14
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Maybe so, but i dont watch enough Newcastle to make a valid opinion. Maybe you do, watching out for who to despise etc. Problem with highlights is you dont get much of an opinion to make on defenders.

What i really meant, was at the time of his conviction for affray, woodgate had what, one england cap? Bowyer had 4 or 5?

Both of them were hailed as "major blows" to England, even though they werent established parts of the setup

Unread 20 Jun 2004, 21:07   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
What i really meant, was at the time of his conviction for affray, woodgate had what, one england cap? Bowyer had 4 or 5?
When was the trial? Bowyer made his debut (and played pretty well, if memory serves) against Portugal in the latter half of 2002. Woodgate made his debut in the Euro 2000 qualifiers in 1999 under Keegan.

Quote:
Both of them were hailed as "major blows" to England, even though they werent established parts of the setup
Yeah, but that was bollocks though.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 21:20   #16
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Rooney to Chelski for £30m+

Gerrard going ABSOLOUTELY NOWHERE
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 21:23   #17
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

On another Chelski related note.

Why would they buy Deco for their midfield when he has absoloutely no pace whatsoever?
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 21:25   #18
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

You just saw him get skinned too? I didnt realise till that moment that hes that slow

Unread 20 Jun 2004, 21:54   #19
JC
lolly roffle

Quote:
What?

I said 100 million for 1 player was too much. For a whole squad its a bargain.

Deco isnt all that great. I cant understand why you would want to buy him, or Ferriera (or however you spell it), when you could go and get someone better quite easily or just stick with your current players.

lolly roffle Sven just said Owen played better against Switzerland than France.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 21:56   #20
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

i don't see why he would even think about rooney when he has the money to buy a decent striker instead.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 21:59   #21
JC
lolly roffle

Quote:
I personally believe Rooney is maybe worth a £10 million gamble. Maybe £15 million if he continues to improve some aspects of his game.
He is 18.

He had an amazing first season with Everton. Last season wasnt as great for him but players tend to have less impact in their second season. He has been pretty great in every match he has played for England. You seem to have some anti-Rooney thing going on and just dont seem to watch the same game as me. He holds up the ball, brings other players into play, creates openings, and scores goals. He might not be Terry 'Enry yet, but he aint bad.

Oh and, he is 18.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 21:59   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
lolly roffle Sven just said Owen played better against Switzerland than France.
Well, he did. He actually touched the ball against the Swiss.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:01   #23
JC
lolly roffle

I must have blinked when that happened .
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:07   #24
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

He set up the first Rooney goal.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:09   #25
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima

Why would they buy Deco for their midfield when he has absoloutely no pace whatsoever?
Cause he's creative..... and a goal scoring threat.... why bother with pace if you can pick out someone quickly.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit

Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:18   #26
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Gerrard going ABSOLOUTELY NOWHERE
Is that Superkura insider info, or just a statement based on studying the player?

Most of the speculation is based on two things: Lampard's comments about him and Gerrard as a unit, and whathisname at Anfield saying that, for the first time, Gerrard leaving was a possiblity.

Quote:

Because he was a major part of a Champions League winning side managed by Chelsea's new manager?
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:21   #27
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
He is 18.

He had an amazing first season with Everton. Last season wasnt as great for him but players tend to have less impact in their second season. He has been pretty great in every match he has played for England. You seem to have some anti-Rooney thing going on and just dont seem to watch the same game as me. He holds up the ball, brings other players into play, creates openings, and scores goals. He might not be Terry 'Enry yet, but he aint bad.

Oh and, he is 18.
Yeah he's 18, he's young. Reminds me of someone back in 98.. Hes firey, ambitious, talented, a hot prospect, speedy, wreckless, and hungry. He's 18.

With any luck he could grow up, mature and become the Michael Owen of today.

Oh wait.

What pisses me off is when the English media grab hold of someone and put everything out of perspective. He wasnt great against France. Neither were England as a whole. He made that good run, yes. But for god sake open your eyes. I could replay that match for you and you can watch him gather the ball well.. hold on to it for a few seconds....

...and lose it. Or it went out for a throw. Or he went down the wing and was tackled.

Admittedly this is a + in comparison to owens unwillingness to come back and collect the ball, complete anonymity etc. But it still wasnt great. Or even good to be honest.

Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:25   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Yeah he's 18, he's young. Reminds me of someone back in 98.. Hes firey, ambitious, talented, a hot prospect, speedy, wreckless, and hungry. He's 18.

Bad comparison. Owen's game was based ENTIRELY around pace. Knock the ball past the defender, beat him to it. He can't do that any more, as a result of injury and 'strength building'. (On a side note, Houllier's greatest failing has probably been Owen. If a one trick pony is losing their style, you don't keep on trying to play to their 'strengths', whilst ignoring their development in other areas.)

You can't say that about Rooney, who has much more already than Owen ever had; he has a much more powerful finish, is better on the ball, is stronger, is better in the air, can pass better and links up better with other forwards.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:32   #29
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
Cause he's creative..... and a goal scoring threat.... why bother with pace if you can pick out someone quickly.
And where do you play him in a 4 man midfield that already has Parker , Duff , Lampard and Makelele , and really could do without a slow , physically weak Brazilian who looks like he has none of the attributes required for the English Game (Such as, erm , strength and a workrate).

Hes another Seba Veron just waiting to happen. Porto will be pissing themselves if Chelsea offer even £15 million for him. Mourinho maybe thinks hes going to get the next Zola. No way on this earth is that going to happen.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:32   #30
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Who's to say Rooney wont get an injury? Pace is still a major asset in his game. What would he be without it?

Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:34   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Who's to say Rooney wont get an injury? Pace is still a major asset in his game. What would he be without it?
More like Sheringham?

His link up play is some of the best I've seen from a young player; he's not greedy, his anticipation is top notch.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:35   #32
JC
lolly roffle

MrL said most of the stuff i wanted to say.

Rooney has much more potential than Owen ever had. He could be the best player England have had in a long long time. Even better than Shearer, though they arent the same style of player. Chelsea might as well buy him now before someone else (Real or Man U) gets round to buying him.

I'm not watching England games with rose tinted glasses. I initially said he was too young to play for England and hadnt proved himself. I was wrong. He didnt have his best game against France, but he didnt have a bad game by any stretch of the imagination.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:36   #33
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
More like Sheringham?

His link up play is some of the best I've seen from a young player; he's not greedy, his anticipation is top notch.

Hes not greedy? Only have to go back a game for that to be shat on im afraid.

Beckham shouldnt have had a chance to miss that penalty against France. Vassell had about 10 square metres of space but Rooney went for glory

Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:39   #34
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Deffeh - please take off your thistle tinted glasses.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:39   #35
JC
lolly roffle

Thats like me saying Larsson is shit and picking out one chance he missed to back up my point.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:41   #36
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
MrL said most of the stuff i wanted to say.

Rooney has much more potential than Owen ever had. He could be the best player England have had in a long long time. Even better than Shearer, though they arent the same style of player. Chelsea might as well buy him now before someone else (Real or Man U) gets round to buying him.

I'm not watching England games with rose tinted glasses. I initially said he was too young to play for England and hadnt proved himself. I was wrong. He didnt have his best game against France, but he didnt have a bad game by any stretch of the imagination.
The gods honest truth is that the only thing that can prove you wrong (or possibly right) is time. Im sure if this was 98 we would have been having this exact same convo about Owen. Youd be saying how he was so new and fresh compared to the coles and (aging) sheringhams and fowlers and ferdinands you were used to being paired with shearer. Every new young talent that does one or two things right looks like "the one" to football fans with a vested interest.

Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:43   #37
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Deffeh - please take off your thistle tinted glasses.
?
I support celtic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Thats like me saying Larsson is shit and picking out one chance he missed to back up my point.
Cool, do that. There was plenty this season. If he was in his prime he would have scored double. Some were at bad times too (Villareal).

But before you do, point out an instance of Rooney not being greedy

Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:44   #38
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
?
I support celtic.
I meant Scottish. isnt that your emblem on your rugby shirts, like ours is the "rose"?
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:45   #39
JC
lolly roffle

Quote:
Youd be saying how he was so new and fresh compared to the coles
Anyone* is better than Cole was for England.

*except Ricketts.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:45   #40
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Is that Superkura insider info, or just a statement based on studying the player?

Most of the speculation is based on two things: Lampard's comments about him and Gerrard as a unit, and whathisname at Anfield saying that, for the first time, Gerrard leaving was a possiblity.
The fact Gerrards name is being bandied about is because with the arrival of the new boss, and the fact that his first act was to dismiss the Anfield Bootroom (thompson and co) says that the guy wants to do things his own way, and a lot of movement will occur this summer. However if you have arguably the finest England midfielder of his generation under contract and desperate to win things with the club, what kind of a manager says "Ill dump him in favour of a foreign player thats unproven at this level".

No manager does. The press in Liverpool are generally saying that Gerrard is going nowhere, but Owen looks like being sold as Benitez thinks hes past his best. The press in LONDON (hey , its your daily newspapers that sell stories such as "Beckham to Chelsea" and "O'Neill to Liverpool) are saying Gerrard will be sold. I prefer to trust local knowledge.

Quote:
Because he was a major part of a Champions League winning side managed by Chelsea's new manager?
Paulo Ferreira was in that same team. Chelsea look like paying £13M for him. Jorge Andrade played in the right back slot for Portugal tonight and had pace , power , accuracy of passing, and made Ferreira look like a 2nd divison reserve.

Nuno Capucho was part of the Porto side which won the UEFA cup last season. Tore Andre Flo was part of a Chelsea side which won the UEFA cup. There are hundreds of players throughout history that have been part of teams that have won big trophies who were as dodgy as a Steven Gerrard passback. The fact Deco didnt start against Greece in favour of a "lesser known" talent such as Simao says a lot for how good he really is.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:49   #41
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:

Oh wait.

What pisses me off is when the English media grab hold of someone and put everything out of perspective. He wasnt great against France. Neither were England as a whole. He made that good run, yes. But for god sake open your eyes. I could replay that match for you and you can watch him gather the ball well.. hold on to it for a few seconds....

...and lose it. Or it went out for a throw. Or he went down the wing and was tackled.

Admittedly this is a + in comparison to owens unwillingness to come back and collect the ball, complete anonymity etc. But it still wasnt great. Or even good to be honest.
For a minute there I thought he was talking about Alan Smith.... hahahahahahahahaha.

Overrated 30-90 zillion valued strikers that are english are at least one a season.

Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:53   #42
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Hes not greedy? Only have to go back a game for that to be shat on im afraid.

Beckham shouldnt have had a chance to miss that penalty against France. Vassell had about 10 square metres of space but Rooney went for glory
Have to stop you there Mr Deffeh , but

Because a striker makes one single "Bad" decision (it resulted in a penalty , it might have been different if he passed, but hindsight only counts in memoirs), does not make him a "Greedy" player. If youve watched Rooney week in , week out (and i get to because the live matches are on in the pubs here at 3pm on a Saturday) youll see the main strengths to Rooneys game are his ability to bring others around him into the game. You will next to never see him muscled off the ball , and his delivery to those around him is brilliant. Hes far more of a "Forward " than a "Striker" , and whilst yes, hes never going to be Henry (nobody is) , for what he is, and what he can do at his age, theres very few talents like him. Hes better than Owen by a country mile, has a far more complete game, and as he doesnt rely on his pace (which fades in every player with age) , he can only get better.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:54   #43
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
I meant Scottish. isnt that your emblem on your rugby shirts, like ours is the "rose"?
I wear Thistle tinted spectacles.

GET TO **** YOU CALEDONIANS!
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:55   #44
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
For a minute there I thought he was talking about Alan Smith.... hahahahahahahahaha.

Overrated 30-90 zillion valued strikers that are english are at least one a season.
BTW , are you sitting there thinking that, having just watched Dado Prso score a wondergoal against France, that hes going to be the next Ally McCoist , or the next Marco Negri?
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:55   #45
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Yeah, but who the hell cares about Rugby. Its not tactically entertaining in any shape or form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Anyone* is better than Cole was for England.

*except Ricketts.
How many games did he play?

Also, a note. I was trying to recall England squads of the past and the Strikers youve had but i hit a mental block. See if you can help me

2004 : Owen, Rooney, Heskey, Vassell

2002 : Owen, Heskey, Vassell, ?

2000 : Owen,

1998 : Owen, Shearer, Sheringham

1996 : Shearer, Sheringham,

Unread 20 Jun 2004, 22:56   #46
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Yeah, but who the hell cares about Rugby. Its not tactically entertaining in any shape or form.
That wasn't my point...
I was merely showing the thistle is your national flower.
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 23:02   #47
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Im not as anti english as you presume. If you read back, i reckon youll make the semis. I think you could take any team in group a, and i dont mind how well you do so long as you dont win it. (The press.)

After all, every week in the regular season i watch Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, etc. These are some of my favourite players.

Unread 20 Jun 2004, 23:03   #48
JC
lolly roffle

Cole was about 13 games and 1 goal i think.

Ferdinand and Fowler in 96.

98 - fowler?

2000 - Shearer, Heskey, Phillips, Fowler

2002- Fowler, Sheringham
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 23:07   #49
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

You sure about 2000? No owen? injury? I dont remember anything international or club between 99-01, Seriously its ****ed up. I dont even remember going off football (nor can i imagine that.). I just dont remember anything. Like celtic signing people etc

Unread 20 Jun 2004, 23:10   #50
JC
lolly roffle

Owen was there. We took 5 strikers i think. I'm not certain on all of these and i cant for the life of me think why Fowler has been in so many squads. Shows the lack of strength in depth we have had over the years .