User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 13 Jul 2004, 09:14   #1
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Chess for beginners

Anyone knows any good sites that gives you clear beginner's tactics, tips and tutorials and the like? I know how to play chess, well I know the rules but I get my ass kicked on a regular base when playing with a friend.

He claims I play way too defensively, focussing too much on guarding all my pieces instead of creating openings. So basicly I would like to learn how to create space. Each time when I try to play more offensively I end up getting owned in my defence.
SilverSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 09:19   #2
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about
Re: Chess for beginners

hmm you might try NIC or british chess magazine sites.

A good way of learning new tactics and strategy is to play the same openings and learn lines parrot like. Learn the types of tactics and strategies that work in games for masters and then adapt them for your style of play.

If you are defensive I suggest lines like the closed sicillian or the morra gambit and queens gambit opening lines.

Games from some of the older masters like torre and capablanca will give you a good understanding of Tactics where as karpov will give you good strategic understanding and players like kramnik and kasparov will develop a good understanding of general all round play.
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 10:24   #3
Perle

Perle is infamous around these partsPerle is infamous around these partsPerle is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
Anyone knows any good sites that gives you clear beginner's tactics, tips and tutorials and the like? I know how to play chess, well I know the rules but I get my ass kicked on a regular base when playing with a friend.

He claims I play way too defensively, focussing too much on guarding all my pieces instead of creating openings. So basicly I would like to learn how to create space. Each time when I try to play more offensively I end up getting owned in my defence.

first think you need to do is: learn how to open the game. best think to do is to learn the italian opening first. while you learn the opening, you should learn how to combinate in a game.
grab yourself a book about chessmate motives. very important, you have to learn the different motives in chess. This will boost your play alot.
do not start examining games from capablanca and the like. Capablanca was a master of the strategic game and his games were always very defensive and strategical. that is for the very advanced players(above 2000 elo).
you need to play offensive and you need to learn how combinate.

Mankind is ready to enter the solar system
George W. Bush, in his speech about his space program
Perle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 10:32   #4
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

play on places like this (http://gameknot.com/), after a few games you should see how other people play, which should help you somewhat.
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 10:39   #5
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perle
first think you need to do is: learn how to open the game. best think to do is to learn the italian opening first. while you learn the opening, you should learn how to combinate in a game.
grab yourself a book about chessmate motives. very important, you have to learn the different motives in chess. This will boost your play alot.
do not start examining games from capablanca and the like. Capablanca was a master of the strategic game and his games were always very defensive and strategical. that is for the very advanced players(above 2000 elo).
you need to play offensive and you need to learn how combinate.
I am above 2000 elo (180 bcf) but learning from the masters is a practical way of analysing the openings. Capablanca was an excellent strategist, but he also had excellent tactical knowledge of queens pawn openings (as did torre). Many tactical exchanges can only be learnt from seeing them in action (windmill, tactical exchanges for better position in midgame or endgame).

Also his "style" is of a defensive nature. Players often find a style best suited to them and develop that. I am a very strategic player so as such seen as defensive, but will analyse tactical combinations at critical poins in a game,

So I do not hold with your statement.

[EDIT] The correct name for the Italian Opening (which is its old name) is Guioco Piano
Proud to be Independent
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 10:45   #6
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
play on places like this (http://gameknot.com/), after a few games you should see how other people play, which should help you somewhat.
Practice makes perfect for any theory - just remember that as well as learning from others you can also pick up their mistakes and errors.
Proud to be Independent
Unread 14 Jul 2004, 04:29   #7
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

play go

(yes i know, unnecesary bump, but its 4:30am and i cant sleep )
Unread 14 Jul 2004, 04:52   #8
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

kidnap an old ukranian dude.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2004, 13:40   #9
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

why not take two...
Unread 14 Jul 2004, 22:54   #10
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

if you choose 'go' half of this forum will be able to help you.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2004, 23:11   #11
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i could have sworn it was just me that still plays
Unread 14 Jul 2004, 23:13   #12
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

http://www.google.com
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote