User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 8 Dec 2003, 22:31   #1
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
NTL:Broadband

shit
Am i rite?
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 22:33   #2
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Re: NTL:Broadband

no

NTL customer service is bollocks

the actual service is fine generally
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 22:34   #3
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

It's good. No major problems here since I started using it last year some time.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 23:19   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

1Mbit NTL line here.
Had about 3 dropouts since installation in september.
The last one was due to the fallout when the main transatlantic backbone cable was severed so could hardly be blamed on NTL.

But yes, their customer service blows.
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 23:24   #5
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

Cannot really think of anything better in the UK right now for broadband.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 23:27   #6
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

telewest are better :P
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 23:42   #7
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

don't ntl have some sort of download limit/cap - where if you download over 1gb a day - often, they start giving you warnings?

if that is so... it's crap

Zar
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2003, 00:32   #8
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

Apart from random DNS problems and the worst technical support ever - they're fine.
Unread 9 Dec 2003, 00:33   #9
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point

Nildram ADSL for the win.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2003, 01:38   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar
don't ntl have some sort of download limit/cap - where if you download over 1gb a day - often, they start giving you warnings?

if that is so... it's crap

Zar
They dropped that after threats of legal action.
Unread 9 Dec 2003, 03:52   #11
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

128Kb/s here. It's lovely.
Unread 9 Dec 2003, 08:34   #12
insane_in_da_membrane
Blowdried

insane_in_da_membrane is an unknown quantity at this point

1MB line here, works fine. Only had 2 problems. One was when the DNS server went tits up, but I was at work all day so it didn't really bother me. The customer service is shite though
insane_in_da_membrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2003, 08:40   #13
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point

All home ISPs are shite.

The only decent ones are the business only ones such as Enach (or something like that)

but they only deal in 6mb or above pipes
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2003, 09:42   #14
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyr0 MK III
All home ISPs are shite.
but which is the least shite?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2003, 20:57   #15
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
128Kb/s here. It's lovely.
Hasn't yours been upgraded to 150Kb/s?

I thought they all were.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2003, 20:59   #16
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough

Not quite 10mbit is it
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2003, 05:57   #17
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

for all of those with uni lan connections - just you smug asses wait.

i was like that last year - a gorgeous 10mbit+ connection - no download restrictions and no noticeable slowdown.

2nd year - i had to move into a house. Now i share a 1mbit connection with 4 bandwidth hungry students. I miss my old connection so much, and wish i wasnt so smug about it - perhaps i'd miss it less then.

Zar
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2003, 18:36   #18
Smesh
Baaaaaaa

Smesh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
They dropped that after threats of legal action.
Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTL site
Nobody may use the Services, either directly or indirectly: ...

h) in excess of "normal use" bandwidth limits set out in this section.

ntl: home's broadband and dial-up services are intended for normal recreational or educational use by individuals and families and our pricing and network architecture have been designed accordingly. Customers who use the services more heavily than a normal home user will reduce the performance of the network for other customers.

"Normal use" of the service is defined as up to 1 gigabyte downstream of data transfer daily (which equates to approximately 200 music tracks, 650 short videos, 10,000 pictures or around 100 large software programmes downloaded per day).
Taken from here, although there is a nice FAQ section here explaining how they wont get upset if you go over it a few times.
Smesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2003, 18:39   #19
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
Hasn't yours been upgraded to 150Kb/s?

I thought they all were.
Well, I've been getting 18KB/s downloads, so yeah. I didn't hear about anything tho.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2003, 18:52   #20
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smesh
Are you sure?

Taken from here, although there is a nice FAQ section here explaining how they wont get upset if you go over it a few times.
The argument put up by the people they tried to throw off for "over-use" was that a 1mbit line is theoretically capable of downloading 10.5Gb a day (128kb/s * 60 seconds * 60 minutes * 24 hours = 11,059,200kb/day).
Restricting users to a limit of 1Gb means they were expecting thier customers to use less than 10% of the line's available capacity.
This works out as about 100kBITs per second (12.5kb/s) and NTLs 150k/s line costs about £15 a month. The perfectly reasonable question asked by the users in question was "what the hell are we paying an extra £20 for if you expect us to use it LESS than the lowest package?".
NTL tried to fob them off by claiming they were paying for the extra speed (bullshit - who'd pay £20 a month just for faster downloads? the reason people pay is to download MORE), at which point the regulator stepped in and pretty much told NTL where to shove it.

So the 1Gb thing has been kept by NTL as a "guideline". If they ever try to enforce it, they'll just end up in the same sticky mess all over again.

It's worth noting "anti-cap" supporters have government backing (Tony's vision of Broadband Britain and all that).
For more info see this and this and this and all the other "related storys" links at the bottom of those pages.
Unread 10 Dec 2003, 18:56   #21
Smesh
Baaaaaaa

Smesh is an unknown quantity at this point

excellent.
Smesh is offline   Reply With Quote