User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 16 Jan 2005, 20:33   #1
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place
something is kooky with my internet explorer

keeps setting my homepage back to http://0ml.net/cat what ever i do
McAfee doesnt seem to be doing anything about it :-(

what is it and what do i do?

xx
Unread 16 Jan 2005, 20:44   #2
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: something is kooky with my internet explorer

run Search and Destroy and Ad-ware. Also that new microsoft spybot program. Things will be better after probably.
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 02:51   #3
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough

mine started doing that about a week ago, s&d didnt nothing, nor did spybot or noadware and norton didnt pick anything up either, now one of my friends has started doing it too, mine is still infected, i had to change to firefox as ie became unusable and it was the only thing left to do.
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 03:37   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

switch to firefox for good measure ( or opera , before leshy yells ). Anything but IE except for sites which demand it ( with activex and all that )

should help to keep your computer relatively securer then it would be using IE alone
Unread 21 Jan 2005, 05:00   #5
Cyp
∞+♪˛

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point

Code:
# emerge -pv search internet-explorer
Searching...
[ Results for search key : internet-explorer ]
[ Applications found : 0 ]

# emerge -pv IE

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "IE".
Huh? What's Internet Explorer?
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2005, 19:14   #6
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

seriously, just stop using that piece of shit really.

Personally I've told all my acquintances who usually ask me for help when they have trouble with their PC, I'm not helping any more if they use IE. So tired of it
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 14:51   #7
Brimstone
Retired PeOn

Brimstone is a jewel in the roughBrimstone is a jewel in the roughBrimstone is a jewel in the rough

I stopped using IE over a year ago, switched to Firefox0.8.

The trick is, to actually remove it from your system entirely, which i have found to be impossible with damn windows XP, which keeps putting it back.

Anyone who knows how to get rid of that huge virus that is IE please let me know.
I have (officially/technically) uninstalled it, but windows doesn't remove it entirely, and if you simply delete iexplore.exe XP reinstalls it a second or so later.

Alternatively, help me to convince MSN messenger to stop opening IE when opening Inbox (have msgplus installed, which "in theory" will overwrite it and open in a different browser)

Brimstone
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 22:40   #8
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
dont remove IE
it's needed for the system to work
last i heard, this was untrue.
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 23:53   #9
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: something is kooky with my internet explorer

Well, I wouldn't suggest it anyway!
My old point in favor of IE was always the Windows Update Website, but that's not true anymore since this update.
Hm, maybe http://officeupdate.microsoft.com ?

But anyway, it's ok if you don't USE it, but why removing it? You can't be sure that it's not needed at all by XP. That's the problem with some THAT deeply "to the OS connected" piece of software. You might harm yourself more then you'd like.
And is the disk space really THAT badly needed?

And MSN can be deactivated / deinstalled using a tool called XP AntiSpy.
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 23:58   #10
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

start -> run
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
reboot

winner \o/
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 08:23   #11
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
last i heard, this was untrue.
it is untrue you dont *need* IE for windows to work
However since ms bundled it into the core os ( which creates a whole host of problems itself, mostly security related ) its been done so it cant be removed properly. theres no real reason for it being as tightly bound into the OS other then to stamp out other browser software out there while avoiding the antitrust lawsuits screaming " we cant remove it, see! "
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 11:35   #12
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://www.webuser.co.uk/cgi-bin/for...b=5&o=93&part=

try what hes talking about. hopefully you know what things like 'hijack this' is etc.

if not then google for whatever he talks about in the post and run them.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 15:19   #13
mist
Jolt's best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
it is untrue you dont *need* IE for windows to work
However since ms bundled it into the core os ( which creates a whole host of problems itself, mostly security related ) its been done so it cant be removed properly. theres no real reason for it being as tightly bound into the OS other then to stamp out other browser software out there while avoiding the antitrust lawsuits screaming " we cant remove it, see! "
i was under the impression that someone had demonstrated an IEless windows in court during a us anti trust case?
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 15:40   #14
Brimstone
Retired PeOn

Brimstone is a jewel in the roughBrimstone is a jewel in the roughBrimstone is a jewel in the rough

Heh. solved my problem enough, found a plugin for msgplus that works +overrides the need for IE to open mails, and removes a number of very annoying limiters built into messenger. All other programs have worked out what "Default Browser" is for, and use Firefox.

One problem down, about 50 more to go...