User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 2 Dec 2004, 14:30   #1
deerbarn
Anal Crumb

deerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to behold
Anyone good with vb?

Well?
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 14:40   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Anyone good with vb?

i'm sure someone is

a) wrong forum you faggot.

b) specify your needs more clearly.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 14:42   #3
deerbarn
Anal Crumb

deerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to behold

Ive been here longer than you go and die. xx
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 14:54   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

heh, what a retort.

shame you didnt learn how to ask questions on forums properly along the way.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 14:57   #5
deerbarn
Anal Crumb

I did. xx
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 15:02   #6
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I used to do it years ago but I seem to remember JetLinus being good at this kind of thing.
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 15:29   #7
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

there was even a big link at the top of GD fs
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 18:22   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I'm using VB ATM. I dislike it enormously. That's why I'm putting everything in a DLL I can write in C++.
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 19:03   #9
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

Evil school made me write connect 4 in VB last week it was evil
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 01:43   #10
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of

I like it ;-)
And can do it. So...
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 19:11   #11
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Today, I ran into probably the stupidest limitation of VB I encountered since I started with it:
You can't access array indices above index 32767 (2 bytes with a signed bit).
I was computing a huge array with database data, and it just gives me an "overflow" error when I access index 32767+1.
Crap VB
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 22:45   #12
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

the crappiest about VB is that I forgot to turn in the project I talked about to posts higher
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 13:12   #13
Caesar2
Commander

Caesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
Today, I ran into probably the stupidest limitation of VB I encountered since I started with it:
You can't access array indices above index 32767 (2 bytes with a signed bit).
I was computing a huge array with database data, and it just gives me an "overflow" error when I access index 32767+1.
Crap VB
That's because you dimmed it as Integer, dim it as Long

You were just "bashed", live with it.
Caesar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 17:21   #14
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar2
That's because you dimmed it as Integer, dim it as Long
What, the array? Or the counter? Both are a defined as a long. I checked and rechecked it several times.
Where does this "Dim" stuff come from BTW? Does it stand for something?
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 17:32   #15
Caesar2
Commander

Caesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really nice

Code:
Dim i As Long
Dim myArray(35000) As Integer
For i = 1 To UBound(myArray)
  myArray(i) = i
Next
Will crash your program

Code:
Dim i As Long
Dim myArray(35000) As Long
For i = 1 To UBound(myArray)
  myArray(i) = i
Next
won't.

You say that you dimed both as long. It's strange that it crashes, can you post the code?

Google told me that dim means either DIMension or Damnit I Meant .

You were just "bashed", live with it.
Caesar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 00:32   #16
JetLinus

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Anyone good with vb?

Dimension, thats right.

What about (dodn't try)
Code:
Const MAXVAL As Long = 60000
Dim MyArray(1 to MAXVAL) as Long
Or, you could try to use:
Code:
' Just go 2-dimensional, hope that works...
Dim MyArray(1 to &H8000, 1 to &H8000) as Long

' then, everytime you wanna call it:
' Use a bitmask to get bits 30 down to 16 for the 1st index, and 15 to 1 for the 2nd. Didn't test it
Value = MyArray(LongIndex And &H40000000, LongIndex and &H8000)
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 00:42   #17
JetLinus

Arrow Re: Anyone good with vb?

I just thought about another way:

Code:
' Fake it using a function

Type typBigArray
  Content(0 to &H8000) as Long
End Type

Function FakeArray(Index as Long) as Long
  Static MyData(0 to &H8000) as typBigArray

FakeArray = MyData(Index And &H40000000).Content(Index And &H8000)

End Function

' You could use this baby just like this:
SomeValue = FakeArray(2345346378)

' Note: Check Array boundaries, I'm not sure about starting with 0 or 1.
' And make sure the bit-operations work well with the sign-bit

' Also note: This example uses wayyyyyy much memory to run like this

Basically I tried to split the array in two sub-arrays.
It might be enough, if you had something like Static MyData(0 to 7) as typBigArray, giving you 2 ^ (3 + 15) items...

You would then access the items by:
MyData(Index \ &H8000).Content(Index Mod &H8000)

Someone would need to check all that Mod, integer division and bitmask operations.

But I think the idea gets through, no? I'm pretty sure, this code is bullshit mostly, and some mods and Ands are defenitely wrong in order or something...