User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Nov 2004, 22:29   #1
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little
Two firsts of this year for me!

I've purchased my first piece of software of the year!

I've purchased my first ever piece of Linux software.

Cedega!

Onward to playing all my favourite games without ever having to look at that Microsoft trash again!

In the words of Dr. Zoidberg

"wooop wooop woooop wooooop"
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 13:28   #2
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Two firsts of this year for me!

w00p w00p w00p w00p w00p!
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 21:16   #3
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Two firsts of this year for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy
Onward to playing all my favourite games without ever having to look at that Microsoft trash again!
I wonder what games THAT could be...
Not the nice looking DirectX-using ones at least...
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 00:53   #4
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road

Yeah let me know how this works out
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 00:56   #5
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Well, it seems to be running TA, HL and Max Payne quite happily. Just installed SW Galaxies as well which it seems quite happy with.

It does support DX9 games.

Haven't tried anything else yet, although I'm gonna drop Flashpoint and GTA3 on tomorrow.
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 12:46   #6
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It runs 8 games perfectly, most of which are several years old. For the price of a year's subscription, you could almost buy a copy of windows, and rebooting whenever you want to play a game is probably less hassle, and quicker, than playing about with config files.

Seems more like petty raging against the M$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ machine than a worthwhile product, unless I've missed something.

Last edited by Nodrog; 11 Nov 2004 at 12:55.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 13:00   #7
skiddy
wild one

Well, there is no playing with config files as Point2Play is all graphical.
I only went for a three month subscription which set me back all of £9.
The only decent version of Windows is XP and that struggles with some older games.
My favourite games are Janes FA/18 and SSI's Flanker 2.
Windows XP will run neither of these.
Cedega runs them perfectly.
I try to spend all my time using Linux so I can get myself on a nice all paid for course and start supporting it at work.
All the programs I need to use are available for Linux and are sometimes better.
No one else at work has an interest in Linux, by becoming the only one who understands it I become an asset to the company as we have clients who run Linux and have to currently subcontract the work out.
Getting my games to run on Linux means I don't have the temptation to just throw the towel in and go back to using Windows.

So yes, you are missing something.
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 13:08   #8
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

stuart, tell your company to give me a job so that i can move away from this shithole of a town
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 13:08   #9
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy
My favourite games are Janes FA/18 and SSI's Flanker 2.
Windows XP will run neither of these.
Cedega runs them perfectly
Didn't wine run these for free?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 13:18   #10
skiddy
wild one

No, you need DirectX support for them. WineX possibly would have run them, but that was modified and added to and developed into what has now become Cedega.

Lets be honest, Transgaming constantly develop the product. They're always adding support to it on a per game basis - the games they choose to concentrate on depends on their forum members opinions of the game and polls that they do weekly on their website questioning subscribers priorities on development - whether they want to see better DX9 support or if they want a particular graphics mode developed. The updates are released and x, y and z are now supported.

For £3 per month you get unlimited updates and support. I personally think its a great deal - especially as it leads me away from the temptation of '**** it, I'm loading XP up as Linux won't play my games" - now it does.

As for the fact that games I've mentioned are a couple of year old, Cedega supported Doom3 before ID released a Linux version, although they've taken support for Doom3 out now to try and urge people to purchase the official Linux version. It's not just old games it supports though, it's right up to the cutting edge.