User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 25 Jan 2005, 16:31   #1
Brimstone
Retired PeOn

Brimstone is a jewel in the roughBrimstone is a jewel in the roughBrimstone is a jewel in the rough
XP, bluetooth and more

I cant be bothered to post several posts on all the problems i've had with this PC, so i'm compacting them into one, and seeing what happens....

1) removing windows messenger/msn messenger.
I have latest MSN messenger, (6.2 i think atm) but the original XP messenger (one built in/supplied with XP) keeps insisting on running in the background and b0rking everything up.

How do i turn it off permanently/remove it?

2) I have an MS6590 (MSI KT6 delta LSR) motherboard, that was supplied with a D-Bracket with 1 bluetooth + 1USB port on it. I have installed all relevant drivers for the motherboard, and even resorted to installing SP1 which it insisted on.

The bluetooth wont work (have not tested the USB port on the bracket as yet, will do so later). I tried installing SP2, which is supposed to help coax bluetooth into working, upon which windows starting getting fatal errors, half my programs refused to run, and i uninstalled it (though its left behind a whole string of "Security updates" which interfere with software, and cant be simply uninstalled.)

Anyone with any ideas on this please give CONSTRUCTIVE comments.

3) Anyone know where i can find the drivers for a DVD/CD-RW combo drive that supports XP?

The company who made my (old and obselete, but once top of the range)drive dont support any system based on NT (NT, 2k, XP). Not overly critical, as i am adding a DVD-RW to my system soon, but would rather have a DVD/CD-RW combo than a plain DVD-ROM drive as my 2nd drive.

Please give constructive comments.

Brimstone
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 16:36   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: XP, bluetooth and more

The make and/or serial number of the drive in question three would be useful, throwing either into DriverGuide.com may throw a result or two.
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 17:42   #3
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

bluetooth port? i was under the impression that bluetooth was wireless...

that asside, http://pirate.planetarion.com/showpo...2&postcount=11
for the msn removal command
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 19:10   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

i was under the impression that you dont need drivers for cd/dvd/writer drives as the generic one works under windows 98,me,2k,xp.....

it might be the writing software which comes with it thats incompatable,though if its nero, it works perfectly well on my system.

as for bluetooth, its wireless and worked straight away for me ( with the drivers i have for my adaptor ). you should install the specific drivers for your mobo to make it work, and get updated ones if they dont.

SP2 has a history of breaking things on anything other then a fresh windows install so if you want to install it, do it right after reformatting
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 19:46   #5
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: XP, bluetooth and more

1) MSN can be deactivated / deinstalled using a tool called XP AntiSpy.

3) Have a look inside the Hardware-Manager. Select the component in question (it really SHOULD appear there, maybe with a question mark as icon). Open properties, and go to Details. You should see some sort of "Hardware Identification" or Description or Vendors Details. They can look like:
"PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E4A&SUBSYS_95601787&REV_00\4&299CCBFA&0&0008"

Apparently in this case, 1002 would be the Verndors ID, and 4E4A the Device ID.
Enter that in Google.
I was told it can be really a great way to find drivers.

Oh, and www.driverguide.com is excellent as well. Temporary but working Login-Data are:
User: temp
Pass: 512
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 03:53   #6
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

user drivers
pass: all

still works to, despite them stating it was going to be disabled several months ago.
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 14:10   #7
Brimstone
Retired PeOn

Brimstone is a jewel in the roughBrimstone is a jewel in the roughBrimstone is a jewel in the rough

The problem im having with my bluetooth is that it isnt working. THe PC/OS hasn't as yet worked out there is a bluetooth port, and the phone cant detect it either.

As to specific drivers, there may be a slight problem there. The MSI website info for my Mobo say that it should be a dual USB D-bracket, not USB/bt. I plan to search through the website to find a similar system that may show the d-bracket i have.

Brimstone