User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Sep 2004, 17:31   #1
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
Is anyone else getting random pop ups trying to download scripts?

everytime I log into PA forums now I get this bloody annoying 'you have x amount of spyware on your pc' advert popping up ; not in and of itself a problem because I have bene to lazy to finish reinstall everything sinc emy last system crash last week; however it seems to be constantly trying to download and install java scripts and seems to be related certain programs becoming unstable (Eve/IE both fck up when it tries to do its stuff, might nt be linked) .

So is anyone else getting and wtf is it?
Using IE 6.0.2 here atm.

/me hurries back to installing opera again.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2004, 17:42   #2
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Is anyone else getting random pop ups trying to download scripts?

no, i use firefox
Unread 12 Sep 2004, 17:48   #3
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The usual combination of AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy should do the trick.

Also, wrong forum.
Unread 12 Sep 2004, 18:05   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

ironic, spyware advertising for something to get rid of it
Unread 12 Sep 2004, 19:08   #5
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Firefox > *
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2004, 19:15   #6
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

it sounds like something my brother just had but not as worse.

whats your homepage set at?
if it loads normally then it isnt and its 'easy to fix spyware' otherwise its a little bastard to get rid of but i can help you do it if you need too.

I believe its called Home Search Assistant.
It stores the adverts on your computer in a temporary internet files folder and then pops them up randomly.
It also changes yourhomepage to the homesite search assistant thing and creates havoc whenever you load ie....

its horrible :-(

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18846

that has a guide that mihgt help if you think its that.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2004, 19:18   #7
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
I believe its called Home Search Assistant.
It stores the adverts on your computer in a temporary internet files folder and then pops them up randomly.
I had that with a website and it spammd up random pages
Unread 12 Sep 2004, 19:28   #8
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

That's what he said, isn't it, Einstein.
Unread 12 Sep 2004, 19:39   #9
Smudge
For Crowly <3

but it wasnt just one site, and it was different sites, randomly going to them - one was for furniture sales and the only kind of website i had been on was ebay
Unread 12 Sep 2004, 19:40   #10
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
That's what he said, isn't it, Einstein.
Unread 12 Sep 2004, 20:00   #11
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
whats your homepage set at?
if it loads normally then it isnt and its 'easy to fix spyware' otherwise its a little bastard to get rid of but i can help you do it if you need too.

Homepage is set at pirate.planetarion.com :eek: and it loads normally

Unread 12 Sep 2004, 20:01   #12
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Download adaware

www.lavasoftusa.com

Also get Spybot Search and Destory (www.google.com)

AND get Bazooka Adaware

those 3 have kept my pc clean now for over 6months.
which is a miracle.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2004, 20:03   #13
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Obligatory "Opera keeps my system clean " post.
Unread 12 Sep 2004, 20:07   #14
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Had adaware before just haven't got around to reinstalling it after the PC died last week. I will download it now thx.

[Edit]Had Opera before as well and haven't got around to downloading it again yet either :(

Unread 12 Sep 2004, 22:28   #15
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

It is a variant of the coolweb search PoS, then?

It so far has not had the chance to actually infect my machine (its malicious as it plays with registry settings and such plus it eats resources, so I consider it a virus of sorts as does macafee AV) due to my DL manager asking permission and zonealarm stopping the download software cold.

I am suprised and dissapointed to find such a thing being distributed via the PA forums.

Ah well time to reinstall Opera then.
Unread 12 Sep 2004, 22:36   #16
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Never did like opera that much, prefer mozilla
Unread 12 Sep 2004, 23:19   #17
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of

Also do the usual " use up2date anti-virus scanner + get all windows updates + reboot to safe mode and scan everything again if it doesn't go away" tricks
Unread 12 Sep 2004, 23:48   #18
Superpig #1
^ ^ Clearly Stolen ^ ^

Superpig #1 is infamous around these parts

AdAware + Spybot: Search and Destroy + AVG = Computer coolness
This is a man in a wheelchair - &

and that was my sig.
Superpig #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2004, 23:52   #19
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quazi Starbucks is an unknown quantity at this point

I get this quite a lot Damn annoying things
Quazi Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote