User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 26 Apr 2013, 22:00   #1
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of
Prelaunch.

Please remove the prelaunch option, or atleast rework it.
With prelaunch you are limiting this game to be played at night time only, its about time we remove the option of a auto-pilot planet played for only 30 minutes each day.
I dont mind that we are able to chose landing ticks beyond our ETA, but the incommings should turn up on the targets overview with the correct eta when launched, and if it is recalled it should return to the planet with the eta it has been out flying towards the targetted planet.
Pre launch for def could stay the same for all i care.

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2013, 15:16   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Prelaunch.

Moving my reply from the alliance limit thread to here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaguuu View Post
didnt pl get removed abit back for a round, it doesnt result in people waking up to launch, it results in people not launching at all...
With pl you atleast have some attacks going around giving the "inactive" alliances a chance to do some dmg when stats allow for it.
I've noticed recently that attacks have moved to the morning. Not so long ago, LTs around 3am were very common. Nowadays, 5am seems to be the norm, and that's just for the first wave.

I'm inclined to attribute that change to prelaunch now showing on incoming scans. People seem unwilling to disclose their LTsto their targets, even though most people aren't around to inc scan every tick, and therefore are more likely to live launch. Rather than wake up at night for it, they've decided to move their LTs to when they're awake anyway.

This in turn I see as a strong indication that removing prelaunch would not kill the game for the less active, but merely further move their LTs to the morning or evening. The current launch times prove that this need not be the crippling blow you make it out to be.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2013, 15:39   #3
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

I actually find this 'later' launching a more effective tactic.

Before when you had incs you could get up at 3am, DC them all then get ready and go to work at 7am... now with first wave turning up at 5am it screws you for dcing yourself more...

As much as we might all whinge at people attacking at night it was far easier to deal with than attacks that come in whilst your working (especially if you dont have a computer/office job) just purely for coordination reasons.

PA will trundle on for a little while yet but you can already see in the top alliances that less and less people are willing to DC their own incs and would rather sleep or do RL things (regardless of time they appear) and that is the death kneel of PA. I dread to think what it is like in lower alliances!!
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2013, 16:32   #4
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

At least in the "daytime" there are likely to be others online who can handle your call. This allows you to get your inc scans, put together a bcalc and pass it to someone to finish the job.

As you can see, this encourages teamwork and a sense of community - which is what this game is (or ought to be) about.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2013, 16:42   #5
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Moving my reply from the alliance limit thread to here.
Another good idea. Mind if I join you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaguuu View Post
didnt pl get removed abit back for a round, it doesnt result in people waking up to launch, it results in people not launching at all...
With pl you atleast have some attacks going around giving the "inactive" alliances a chance to do some dmg when stats allow for it.
It didn't "get removed". It was reduced to +4 for attack fleets.

As I said at the time, this was the worst of both worlds. It inconvenienced those who use PL without giving the benefit of ensuring people are online at the time they launch their attacks. The actual time of day is irrelevant here. Being online when you launch means that you can also offer defence - at a time when some people (including you) are launching attacks.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
Unread 28 Apr 2013, 17:44   #6
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcChas View Post
At least in the "daytime" there are likely to be others online who can handle your call. This allows you to get your inc scans, put together a bcalc and pass it to someone to finish the job.

As you can see, this encourages teamwork and a sense of community - which is what this game is (or ought to be) about.
Actually i disagree there, at 5-8am when incommings mainly show now the US players are asleep and the EU players are getting ready for work or are already at work.

Atleast at 2-5am (the old times) the US players were more like golddust as DC's with it being their evening time. If anything i think US players have now reversed, with attacks that go eta 4-0 when they are asleep they are vastly more prone to crashing and are a little harder than waking europeans to get online to def now...
Unread 28 Apr 2013, 18:14   #7
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

Some in the EU may be getting ready for work - others are not. I think you're in danger of flogging a dead horse here.

(Not for the first time).
Unread 28 Apr 2013, 21:10   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
I actually find this 'later' launching a more effective tactic.
For my part, I wake up right when this type of attack tends to show up. I don't DC for an entire alliance (not even one as small as mine), but while getting ready for work, I generally have time to sort out my own fleets and maybe one other person's.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 29 Apr 2013, 07:18   #9
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
For my part, I wake up right when this type of attack tends to show up. I don't DC for an entire alliance (not even one as small as mine), but while getting ready for work, I generally have time to sort out my own fleets and maybe one other person's.
Yes i am the same, i am able to DC for my galaxy by waking up an hour earlier than normal. BUT for a lot of players now they dont DC themselves, they just turn up at 8am and whine they arent covered, cos there is a massive lazy culture in PA now.

Also as you say for an 'alliance DC' someone like Irvine is/was for FAnG, this later launching impacts more on an alliance that runs that way.

We are not all school/college/uni kids now im afraid, this is not 2002 anymore... A LOT of players have jobs, careers, families and children and PA is not a game that played at the higher competitive level allows for much RL, you need to be available when called if you want to win normally. We are mostly all too old and settled now to do this anymore, this is why the playerbase continues to drop and will never grow again
Unread 29 Apr 2013, 08:35   #10
TheoDD
Othello Champion, Solitaire Champion, Anime BlackJack Champion

TheoDD has a spectacular aura aboutTheoDD has a spectacular aura about

it is probably the main reason to why the playerbase is/has been decreasing, but to say it is THE reason is just partially right.
TheoDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2013, 08:53   #11
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Yeah fair enough, dated gameplay, lack of graphics, same old same old things happening, lack of vision from owners, lack of leadership from PA team, over zealous MH team. They are all contributing factors to players leaving the game but as you say the main reason is that we all just grew up! And PA is Neverland....

Unfortunatly PA could never reinvent itself to be as appealing without the 24/7 gameplay, that is its niche and its enticement for those of us that are still addicted. Nowadays gaming is pick up/put down, all those Zinga games on FB and what not that require you to log in and set stuff once or twice a day without worrying that you will get wiped out in your sleep, that is where gaming is now. You can see that from the WoW exodus and other 24/7 games, people just dont have the time anymore, and some of us now have wives and gf's that shout at us for being up at 3am coordinating lines of texts :P

(my gf's even plays and she still gets annoyed about it!! so i can only imagine what it is like for those of you who's other halfs are outsiders!!)
Unread 29 Apr 2013, 12:18   #12
Mzyxptlk
mz.

I see no reason why a game like PA could not be popular. Yes, casual gaming has seen a huge upsurge in recent years, but it has not replaced hardcore gaming.

Extrapolating the other way, from PA to the rest of gamedom, seems to me as glossing over some of the very specific problems PA has had (in fact, the very problems you mention): lack of financial support, lack of coherent vision.
Unread 29 Apr 2013, 16:54   #13
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
I see no reason why a game like PA could not be popular....lack of coherent vision.
I totally agree Mzyxptlk. Sad thing is there have been a number of offers over the years to give PA exactly what you bring up, yet none of the owners have ever taken them.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2013, 23:00   #14
tokath
semi-retired

tokath is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in one of those near perfect timezones for pa (PST/PDT) in it's current state so these generally later launches have actually been beneficial to me.

While the dc'ing does tend to be more frantic as more tends to show the same tick, the overall time expenditure is less as so far most aren't attacking later than the latest coordinated attacks in previous rounds.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see a difference between setting an alarm for five till vs setting pl and going to sleep. Both allow you to not really participate. If it were up to me the only thing I might do is limit pl def to combat complete leaks of targets/attackers/lts and having said targets just pl def and go to sleep. Though I probably wouldn't even do that.
tokath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2013, 08:34   #15
Mzyxptlk
mz.

If all you do at night is wake up, log in on phone and go back to sleep again, then yes, you're basicaly performing a manual prelaunch. But if, since you're awake anyway, you also check the ally def page and send a fleet of defense, then you're doing much more.
Unread 2 May 2013, 19:18   #16
tokath
semi-retired

tokath is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If all you do at night is wake up, log in on phone and go back to sleep again, then yes, you're basicaly performing a manual prelaunch. But if, since you're awake anyway, you also check the ally def page and send a fleet of defense, then you're doing much more.
Therein lies the issue. In my experience those that are lazy with pl are just as lazy without it.
tokath is offline   Reply With Quote