User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 25 Oct 2004, 16:05   #1
Conall
There is a better answer

Conall will become famous soon enoughConall will become famous soon enough
Round 13 Galaxies

Since we all want input to how PA is run, perhaps it is a good idea to start the suggestions now. Yes, I know there is a suggestion forum, but few people (the most dedicated perhaps) actually seem to post there.

The next round is sometime away but I am fairly sure coding has or will begin very soon, so a few ideas about galaxy structure well in advance would be prudent.

Basically I see 3 options:
1. Fully random
2. Fully private
3. Mixed.
a. Buddy Packs
b. Semi Private

I think most agree that one of the 3rd options is most desirable, but how should it be done to achieve the objectives of making the game fun and balanced while giving active hard core PA players the incentive to keep playing and still attracting and keeping new players.

First thing is to set the galaxy structure before the end of this round and stick to it. This will allow players to be prepared for next round.

Second I think semi private galaxies are the best option. Buddy packs were good, but can cause an imbalance in and of themselves, i.e. some galaxies get 2 buddy packs others get none. Base the size of the semi private galaxies on the number of paid non-random planets this round. This will take some analysis because planets that were deleted for inactivity should not be figured in to the number in order to get the truest picture. If the paid non randoms made up 58% of the planets then set the private galaxy number at 6. There should be a minimum number of private planets, perhaps 4, which the private galaxy should have.

Set that number; let’s use 6, as the base. Set planets 1 – 6 as private only and fill in randoms from 7 – 10 and fill the galaxies up as people sign up. If a private galaxy doesn’t fill its privates up or chooses to go with 5, or less, give them the option of opening their galaxy to have extra private slots filled with randoms. This balance will allow existing PA players to create galaxies they feel they can compete with and give everyone an equal shot at randoms. The new randoms will benefit from having hard core PA players in their galaxy giving them a chance to learn the game and grow.

I wrote this quickly so I am sure there are some flaws in this proposal, but let’s discuss them now before plans for round 13 are set in stone. Perhaps if we can come up with a solid solution, PATeam will listen and utilize it.

So fire away, but keep it constructive so PATeam realizes that we are truly trying to improve the game. Perhaps if this thread works we can do the same with other game play features and we can all help improve the game.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Sir Winston Churchill
Conall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2004, 16:39   #2
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
Re: Round 13 Galaxies

if done properly you'd get the same, or next to the same, amount of buddy packs in each gal. as long as defficiencies are made up with paid randoms i don't see this as much of a problem.

on the flip side, 6/4 or 5/5 galaxies mean that the private group are big enough to dictate galaxy politics, and therefore the randoms are pretty much outcasts - i know this round at least some galaxies have one gal channel for the private pack, and the gc sat in another channel with the randoms. not so good for getting them taught, in to alliances, playing next round etc i suspect.

therefore, broadly agree, but i prefer buddy packs

-mist
[edit]speeling[/edit]

Last edited by mist; 25 Oct 2004 at 16:44.
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2004, 17:32   #3
Conall
There is a better answer

I have already found 1 flaw with my own plan. All randoms need to be placed in gal 200 and above untill they join a private galaxy or till shuffle. If not then paid accounts that planned to join private galaxies could just sit in a galaxy as a random till tick 71 and deprive that galaxy of randoms.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Sir Winston Churchill
Unread 25 Oct 2004, 17:40   #4
Conall
There is a better answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
if done properly you'd get the same, or next to the same, amount of buddy packs in each gal. as long as defficiencies are made up with paid randoms i don't see this as much of a problem.

on the flip side, 6/4 or 5/5 galaxies mean that the private group are big enough to dictate galaxy politics, and therefore the randoms are pretty much outcasts - i know this round at least some galaxies have one gal channel for the private pack, and the gc sat in another channel with the randoms. not so good for getting them taught, in to alliances, playing next round etc i suspect.

therefore, broadly agree, but i prefer buddy packs

-mist
[edit]speeling[/edit]

Mist - If we can see some kind of plan for distribution of buddy packs, I don’t think most people would have a problem with that.

As for politics - you are correct that one block could run a galaxy, but I am unfamiliar with any major problems doing that when the rest of the galaxy is random. I have heard of major problems when you have 2 buddy packs form competing alliances however.

As for private galaxy channels, I can certainly see the use of them till they galaxy gets an idea of how certain players play, what their intentions are, that they are not spies, they are active, etc. But I would think that would go away after a bit of time. It only makes sense for that to happen. I don't really see that being much different from players using fake nicks in galaxy channels and having a separate private channel now, regardless of the buddy pack versus private issue.

Sir Winston Churchill
Unread 25 Oct 2004, 20:48   #5
Jackal2112

Jackal2112 is infamous around these partsJackal2112 is infamous around these parts

why not just play fully random! any kind of implementation with buddy packs, private 5 player groups etc. will have its flaws and will be abused by the petty and pathetic. instead, let's make it 'fair' for everyone, but really fair for everyone by making it fully random and after a brilliant shuffle disable the exile feature (or make it VERY expensive, or limit it to 1-2 exilex max).

my suggestion to proceed would be, let people sign up, place them solely in a 1player galaxy (or a 'space continuum, where they just have a sequence number). after sign ups have completed, you then shuffle ALL the paid accounts into 8 or 9 players galaxies AND move all unpaid/free/random planets into a zone about C200, and give them an option to move into a paid galaxy to the lower clusters but ONLY after they have paid.

This way you will have completely fair random galaxies, noone will be able to influence his galaxy upfront with so called buddy packs, or private gal codes AND you will have a chance to get the 'active' planets from out of C200+ and after they decide 'hey pa is fun, i wanna pay and exile into the paid zone' they can still join the lower 'galaxies'.

just an idea.
LD
Unread 25 Oct 2004, 21:37   #6
Conall
There is a better answer

I think being able to have your mates in your galaxy is one of the main reasons many of the long time PA'ers are still here/have returned. Besides even completely random rounds were somewhat manipulated in the early rounds based on sign up time. Unless you did a complete shuffle then you will always have an issue.

More importantly though is the fact that this is still a game of skill, part of that skill being choosing wisely your galaxy mates.

Sir Winston Churchill
Unread 25 Oct 2004, 23:20   #7
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Round 13 Galaxies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conall
I have already found 1 flaw with my own plan. All randoms need to be placed in gal 200 and above untill they join a private galaxy or till shuffle.
I agree. Filling galaxies during signups is what leads to 99.44% the problems. They should:
  1. Start signups
  2. Form buddy packs (if desired)
  3. Start ticks
  4. Weed out inactives
  5. Weed out some more inactives
  6. Fill/merge galaxies
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2004, 23:28   #8
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough

FULLY RANDOM, screw the rest of it.
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 11:59   #9
Helix

Helix will become famous soon enoughHelix will become famous soon enough

Ffs - Go Post Ideas On The Suggestion Forum In The Post Already There For Discussing The Round 13 Galaxy Setup
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote