User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Aug 2004, 23:44   #1
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Democracy in the middle east

Even the saudis will beat Iraq to it
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 00:56   #2
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Democracy in the middle east

I still don't see that as democracy.

I don't want to explain why either.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 02:47   #3
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Democracy in the middle east

As democracy goes, it's pretty weak. It's elections for municipal councils--of which only half the members will actually be elected (the other half will still be appointed).

I think the Iraqis will still beat the Saudis.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 14:39   #4
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's not going to be anything approaching Democratic, but the fact that Saudi Arabia has taken to even some form of electoral politics is a major step forward. Some level of reform is better than Saudi standing still in it's present absolutist, authoritarian Wahabist quaqmire.

Last edited by Marilyn Manson; 5 Aug 2004 at 14:49.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 15:35   #5
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all

This new Saudi Arabia will be slightly less democratic than the Soviet Union was. The USSR had several levels of democracy. Firstly, all of the representatives to the local Soviet were elected by the population. The Communist party would put forward candidates and the voters would choose between them. These people had actual power as members of the local Soviets, which then elected members to the national (or Supreme) Soviet, however as the people only had the choice of the options presented to them by the local (or national depending on the region) arm of the Communist party, it was hardly an 'election'. You culd not just 'run' for office, you had to be selected to run for office.

This Saudi system looks more like the 'democratic' reforms of Tsarist Russia after the 1905 revolution, where local people were elected to the Duma, which then sat as an advisory board to the Tsar. However in this situation, like in that one, the ruling authorities had no requirement to pay any attention to the suggestions of the elected council, they did when it was convenient to score themselves popularity points with the pro-democrats, but on anything important the Duma was not even consulted, and rarely heeded. That looks like what the House of Saud is doing now, instituting the trappings of democracy (a vote, an elected body, secret ballots) without invoking actual democracy (representation in government, elected control of the state)

One aside, the Soviets did have one ultra-cool thing in their elections that I have LONG thought we should adopt here in the west. In Soviet elections you could vote AGAINST a person. So, you were not forced to choose the lesser of evils. If the two or three candidates were all unpalatable, you could vote against them, and if the majority voted as such, then the Party wold have to withdraw them and submit new candidates.

WouldNt it be nice if you could actually vote, as Brewster would say, 'None of the Above'?

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 15:58   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillion
That looks like what the House of Saud is doing now, instituting the trappings of democracy (a vote, an elected body, secret ballots) without invoking actual democracy (representation in government, elected control of the state)
I fdon't think we can really blame them for not going far enough quickly enough in this situation. I'm not aware of many saudi opinion polls but I severely doubt that full representative democracy would go across well with many powerful sections of society. The conservativism (and radical fundamentalism) of many saudis would class with the new "liberalism" in a rather spectacular fashion I'd say. One of the more interesting things is that nobody has yet said whether or not women will be able to vote in these elections.

Quote:
One aside, the Soviets did have one ultra-cool thing in their elections that I have LONG thought we should adopt here in the west. In Soviet elections you could vote AGAINST a person. So, you were not forced to choose the lesser of evils. If the two or three candidates were all unpalatable, you could vote against them, and if the majority voted as such, then the Party wold have to withdraw them and submit new candidates.

WouldNt it be nice if you could actually vote, as Brewster would say, 'None of the Above'?
I doubt this would really work in a western style democracy. What would actually happen if a general election didn't actually elect anyone? Would the old government remain in control? Would some kind of emergency cabinet be elected? How long would it take new candidates to emerge? The basic nature of good party politics is that it doesn't really matter who gets the seats as long as the party gets the seats. They're not all going to go off and dissolve themselves and set up new parties with interesting new policies.
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 20:23   #7
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
One of the more interesting things is that nobody has yet said whether or not women will be able to vote in these elections.
Of course they won't. Saudi is the middle eastern country the most repressive of women after Afghanistan. I doubt that that question even crossed the minds of saudi officials when they drafted this plan.

Quote:
I doubt this would really work in a western style democracy. What would actually happen if a general election didn't actually elect anyone? Would the old government remain in control? Would some kind of emergency cabinet be elected? How long would it take new candidates to emerge? The basic nature of good party politics is that it doesn't really matter who gets the seats as long as the party gets the seats. They're not all going to go off and dissolve themselves and set up new parties with interesting new policies.
No, the parties involved would have to go and choose themselves new candidates. Then they would come back and have another election. And I think you underestimte the impact of a leader on a country, after all John McCain was a republican same as Bush Jr., but I bet the country would look a LOT different under McCain right now...

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 20:45   #8
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
No, the parties involved would have to go and choose themselves new candidates. Then they would come back and have another election. And I think you underestimte the impact of a leader on a country, after all John McCain was a republican same as Bush Jr., but I bet the country would look a LOT different under McCain right now...
Point taken about the US. I was thinking more about my own country, although considering I doubt you're that aware of the nuances of Irish politics, do you ythink there'd be a major difference in the Labour party if Gordon Brown was in charge right now as opposed to Tony Blair. Are the parties really going to go off and say "well **** they didn't like the candidates we really want in power, let's choose the candidates the people want!" or are they more likely to offer up a load of pre-election lies and prevarication in order to get into power?

PS What stage do you imagine this rejection taking place? It takes a lot of money to run a presidential election campaign. Not to mention the time factor. Who's in charge after the country rejects it's candidates?

PPS You mean afghanistan past tense right? Or does it still oppress women under the new government?
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 22:08   #9
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
PPS You mean afghanistan past tense right? Or does it still oppress women under the new government?
Afghanistan has a government?!
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 13:44   #10
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I fdon't think we can really blame them for not going far enough quickly enough in this situation.
This is weighted on the presumption that they intend to actually bring in a democratic system as the end goal. That is far from being certain.

If they don't intend to bring in a full transformation, then this looks less like a cautious reform in a series of them, and rather more of a political titbit masquerading as something important.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 14:00   #11
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

A lot of philosophers have proven during the last 4000 years that every people gets the government they need or deserve. Bringing in the most democratic leader ever will not change the ways of the common man.

(This is why itīs currently a big mess in Irak - Saddam actually was the best man for the job, probably...)
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 14:42   #12
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrasyn
A lot of philosophers have proven during the last 4000 years that every people gets the government they need or deserve. Bringing in the most democratic leader ever will not change the ways of the common man.
I'm sure that historically speaking the populace spontaneously changed their opinions in the insant of each revolution

I'd agree there's probably an overall tendency but nothing to the point where we'd say "why bother, they have who they deserve anyways." I dislike that sort of deterministic thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
This is weighted on the presumption that they intend to actually bring in a democratic system as the end goal. That is far from being certain.

If they don't intend to bring in a full transformation, then this looks less like a cautious reform in a series of them, and rather more of a political titbit masquerading as something important.
I think crown prince abdullah has declared his support for a democratic system frequently over the past few years. I'd say it's probably one of those nice coincidences where the "moral" and the "pragmatic" approach are both the same.
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 14:48   #13
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

JBG - Itīs not meant to be deterministic, more like an empirically proven condition. A revolution happens to be just that - a need for the general public to get a leader that suits them better on the whole.
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 15:22   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrasyn
JBG - Itīs not meant to be deterministic, more like an empirically proven condition. A revolution happens to be just that - a need for the general public to get a leader that suits them better on the whole.
I'd prefer desire to need. I don't really think Russia "needed" the Bolshevik revolution. Back in Saudi Arabia though wouldn't the recent number of petitions signed, demonstrations held and elections allowed indicate to you that there's a growing desire/need for democracy?
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 15:25   #15
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Quote:
I'd prefer desire to need. I don't really think Russia "needed" the Bolshevik revolution. Back in Saudi Arabia though wouldn't the recent number of petitions signed, demonstrations held and elections allowed indicate to you that there's a growing desire/need for democracy?
Well, yes, but that proves my point, if you will. The people make the leader!

I think we share a point, but we look at it from different angles.
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 17:44   #16
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

i heartily endorse this film