User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Jul 2004, 15:14   #1
Little Timmy
Winker

Little Timmy will become famous soon enoughLittle Timmy will become famous soon enough
Jumping Ship

I know it happens every round, But Im just curious as to what makes an individual move from one alliance to another during a round?

Is it self presservation cause you think you will be attacked by a bigger alliance than your own if you dont move ?
Is it disatisfaction with your current alliance ?

As for alliances, what soul searching do you do; if any; before taking in someone from another alliance who is doing ok with their planet mid round ?
Do you look at it as "well they have a good planet and will boast our score " or do you actually question the ship jumper to find out the real reasons they are moving mid round rather than see out the current one where they are ?

Yeah so what Im an Original Pr0nstar

some of us have serious jobs
Little Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 15:41   #2
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Jumping Ship

It depends on whose perspective you see it from. Someone leaving a losing alliance might be seen as a traitor or ship-jumper, but they might respond by saying that they don't want to stay in an alliance that doesn't function properly. Likewise, a person may leave an alliance after many rounds of loyal service and still be hated by the alliance for doing so.

I think it all comes down to the circumstances behind them leaving. If a person has made an honest attempt to contribute to an alliance, but feels he's not getting the same in return, I think he is entitled to leave for somewhere more suited to him. And in reverse, if someone joins an alliance, makes the bare minimum effort to stay on the member list, then jumps ship at the first sign of trouble then they deserve to be condemned for it, and any alliance they apply to would be well advised to reject the application.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 17:19   #3
Chippeh
Void of Sarcasm

Chippeh is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree entirely with how Rob sumed it up.

Another reason a person might leave is disagreements with other members or command, unfortunately these often arise at important times, so when the person leaves it might be seen as 'jumping-ship'
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 18:53   #4
CrazyConrad
DarnocYzarc

CrazyConrad is on a distinguished road

All shipjumpers that leave for a better allinance "cause that alliance is more 1337" are and will always be fcking loosers...
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 20:29   #5
Sinn

Sinn is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyConrad
All shipjumpers that leave for a better allinance "cause that alliance is more 1337" are and will always be fcking loosers...
well technically, if they move to a better alliance it's more likely they'll end up as fcking winners. That said, i agree with the point you were trying to make..

The cumstain on the sheets of humanity
Sinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 20:51   #6
waffle
Eclipse 4 Life

waffle is an unknown quantity at this point
why do the "winning" alliances take them in?

If someone is leaving a 4th ranked alliance, why do the alliances ranked 1-3 take them in? AKA - Elysium taking in FAnG round 10, MISTU and FAnG in 10.5 when phraktos fell. If you take in 1, you should take in all. Why take them in at all though. I got the speech "you joined phraktos, you fall with phraktos" and such. Should be that way for everyone eh?
<cheerios> just a heads up if you're drunk or summit
<[DC]waffle> fkin n00b
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2004, 20:59   #7
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: why do the "winning" alliances take them in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle
If someone is leaving a 4th ranked alliance, why do the alliances ranked 1-3 take them in? AKA - Elysium taking in FAnG round 10, MISTU and FAnG in 10.5 when phraktos fell. If you take in 1, you should take in all. Why take them in at all though. I got the speech "you joined phraktos, you fall with phraktos" and such. Should be that way for everyone eh?
The top alliances take them in because they want to end #1. Last round F+M were not fighting each other, but they were competing for the top rank. If Fang had refused all people who wanted to jump ship, Mistu might have won. In the current round it's stupid to take in shipjumpers though as no alliance is certain the tides will not turn against them (in which case they could have better taken in an active, but loyal newby).

Edit: This was post # 1,000
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 12:03   #8
CrazyConrad
DarnocYzarc

CrazyConrad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinn
well technically, if they move to a better alliance it's more likely they'll end up as fcking winners. That said, i agree with the point you were trying to make..
I wasnt "trying" to make a point, I made a point...

I aint talking about changing alliance between rounds but jumping ships in the middle of the round will make you a looser imo...
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 13:44   #9
Shev
So what?

Shev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to behold

Having seen a fair bit of the 'shipjumping' this round, I can pretty much say that none were for the simple reason of wanting to get out of the firing line. One left FAnG over the TP incident, while another group left the same alliace after giving the HC a large list of grievances. Attack tactics was pretty much the main thrust of it, but there was lots of other stuff as well.

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 15:07   #10
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
The top alliances take them in because they want to end #1. Last round F+M were not fighting each other, but they were competing for the top rank. If Fang had refused all people who wanted to jump ship, Mistu might have won. In the current round it's stupid to take in shipjumpers though as no alliance is certain the tides will not turn against them (in which case they could have better taken in an active, but loyal newby).
Tbh, whether FAnG had taken in some of the Phraktos members or not, i doubt it would have changed the end rankings, only a couple, no more than 5 joined from what i can remember anyway, and at that point FAnG already had about 100mill score lead from Mistu and quite a lot more roids, so whether it would have made a difference is negligable, Rd10 however....but lets not start that argument again
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 16:03   #11
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

Yea, alliance changing mid round is pretty cowardice. Some people want to move for political reasons. A lot of people move just to protect their planets. When the going gets tough, thats usually the sign for un-loyal players to look for a better alliance. I see why big alliances take these people in though. I mean, they will be going somewhere, why not play with them instead of against them.
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 18:25   #12
§pa¢e¢ook¦e
Teh Legion. Urwinism

§pa¢e¢ook¦e can only hope to improve

if you have grounded reasons to leave, if the organised structure isnt there and the alliance isnt performing to the degree for what they expected and been told i might understand the leaving of an alliance, but leaving due political reasons is lame.
Unread 4 Jul 2004, 21:53   #13
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough

I did it once, waaaaay back in round 4. Why? Alliance leader announced that we were going to be fighting a defensive action the whole round against Legion. I didn't want to fight a defensive action, I wanted to FIGHT, so I left and went to NoS. I loved the people, but the alliance's approach and my own weren't meshing....It wasn't that they were losing, but that they weren't playing to win. It wasn't sitting well with me. Hell, Rd 6, my gal got stomped to piss but we never stopped fighting. THAT'S what I wanted.

I ended up the next round in Wrath, where I put in 4 rounds with Fury before leaving the game entirely (and Fury disbanding).

Some people have no loyalty, and some are just looking for something worthy of it. It should be considered by case, as blanket rules rarely work.
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 00:59   #14
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

I've only left 1 Alliance in my PA Career, and that was Ety for Seraphim.

Reason: I just did'nt feel like I fitted in there. And wasnt enjoying myself.

Every other alliance i've been in ive left when they have disbanded.

P.S I'm not a bad omen
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 09:45   #15
Chippeh
Void of Sarcasm

Chippeh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle
Maybe thats just because people don't like you... and if they were told you had joined them, they would be pissed for not being able to own you