User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 12 Apr 2006, 18:59   #1
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Post Book thread

In the spirit of the poetry thread, and in complete agreement with whoever said that "GD needs more literary threads" I thought I would make a thread. The idea is to say which books you just read, which ones you're reading, make reccomendations and flame anyone who reads Archer, that kind of thing.

Oh, and it's also to make yourself feel intellectual by mentioning really hard books!

So I just finished Finnegan's Wake, it was quite good.

I also finished The Brothers Karamazov about a month ago, and I don't think I have ever spent as long as I did on that on a single book (3 months). It was really good though, but not exactly bright and cheerful. A very touching book at some points as well, one of those ones where you sometimes read a paragraph twice, not because you didn't understand it, but because you want to experience it again

After that I bought a Stephen Fry book (The Liar) and Candide at a 2nd hand bookshop and read them. Both were pretty good and comedy was a welcome change from Russian Despair. I would reccomend Candide to absolutely everyone as well, it's actually really really easy to read and could be done in one sitting of about 1-2 hours if you wanted to. Although then of course you won't get the most out of it.

The Stephen Fry one was really funny, and pretty interesting too. It was exceedingly gay however, it was "public school" this and "rent boy" that. Not that that should put you off.

I'm currently reading a Wodehouse called "laughing gas", which is, of course, excellent. Also the plot actually surprised me hugely, which is unusual for a Plum book
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 19:08   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Book thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
So I just finished Finnegan's Wake, it was quite good.
I trust you mean finished burning it.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 19:09   #3
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i really really like books by Louis de Berniere at the moment.
There are funny bits, sad bits, sexy bits, angry bits, "i didn't know that" bits and they are extremely well written.

Oh and remembering our conversation in the pub the other day - the Iain M Banks book I have in my "to read" pile is The Algebraist

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 19:10   #4
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I trust you mean finished burning it.
Something like that.

Anyway Jonny, tell us what you've been reading. Be less of a cynical observer and bare your soul for the judgement of others.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 19:12   #5
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
i really really like books by Louis de Berniere at the moment.
There are funny bits, sad bits, sexy bits, angry bits, "i didn't know that" bits and they are extremely well written.

Oh and remembering our conversation in the pub the other day - the Iain M Banks book I have in my "to read" pile is The Algebraist
I can lend it to you when im back in Manc, it's on my bookshelf in my room innit.

It's probably my fave sci-fi one he has done in a while. Not so much that it's a great story (although that's not to say that it's bad) but the world he creates is so complete and compelling it's breathtaking
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 19:17   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Recently I've been readin dese books:

Beyond Good and Evil
The Stars My Destination
and Utopia.

More, Bester, Nietzsche irrespectively.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 19:18   #7
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Something like that.

Anyway Jonny, tell us what you've been reading. Be less of a cynical observer and bare your soul for the judgement of others.
Rawls. Again. Not sure why.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 19:23   #8
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I can lend it to you when im back in Manc, it's on my bookshelf in my room innit.

It's probably my fave sci-fi one he has done in a while. Not so much that it's a great story (although that's not to say that it's bad) but the world he creates is so complete and compelling it's breathtaking
i meant it's literally in my "to read" pile
it's quite a big pile but a pile nonetheless

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 19:28   #9
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Cliver Cussler :/
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 19:30   #10
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I havent read much recently, although I've been dipping in and out of "Attack and Defence" and "Tesuji" if that counts for anything. The last actual book I read was probably yet another rereading of Wittgensteins Philosophical Investigations a month or so ago, and then a couple of Discworld books before that (Going Postal and Thud). Actually, I read Kierkagaard's Fear and Trembling around the same time, and it sucked horribly, and also a brief history of mathematics by Morris Kilne which was pretty good, if a bit hyperbolic.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 19:33   #11
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Recently I've been readin dese books:

Beyond Good and Evil
The Stars My Destination
and Utopia.

More, Bester, Nietzsche irrespectively.
i haven't read 'the stars my destination', (or any bester for that matter) any good?

actually, i haven't read any books in far too long.

this post is really just about how much "Thus Spake Zarathustra" sucked ass.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 19:36   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
i haven't read 'the stars my destination', (or any bester for that matter) any good?
Exceptionally

Quote:
YOU'RE LYING!
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 19:37   #13
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

Gd
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 19:47   #14
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

[sci fi]
richard morgans stuff is great (altered carbon, the 2 sequels, and err, whatever the other one thats a new setting is. )
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 19:57   #15
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:

actually, i haven't read any books in far too long.

Nietzsche would kick your ass if he wasn't dead and being laughed at by god right now.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 20:01   #16
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

Having a look through my pile of books on top of my book case, I have recently read in no particular order-

The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson, a trilogy released around the time Lord Of The Rings was. An epic story and well worth a read.
recursion by Tony Ballantyne, a nice sci fi about a world where the state knows best.
The Glory Bus by Richard Laymon, quite a heart warming tale with murders rapes and other nasty stuff along the way.
Necromunda: Blood Royal by Wil lMcDermott and Gordon Rennie, harkening back to my days of playing fantasy games by Games Workshop.
Necromunda: Survival Instinct by Andy Chambers, the same as above.
Nocturnes by John Connolly, a book of short supernatural thrillers with a novellette at the end, a great read.
Impossible Odds by Dave Duncan, a cool swords and sorcery tale that kept me reading throughout.
Forty Signs Of Rain by Kim Stanley Robinson, a dull read that seems to just trail off towards the end.

These I have read in the last 2-3 months. Being a member of the fantasy and sci fi book club I tend to order 3-4 books each month with occasional bursts of buying upwards of 10 books when there is a sale on. My 3 book cases are now full, and I am looking forwards to moving out so I can buy a book case to fill an entire wall of my new room (when we've found somewhere to rent).

I'm currently reading The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the second trilogy, which is really keeping me engrossed. Started reading it on sunday and I am now just under half way through 1234 pages and is turning out to be even better than the first trilogy. With the first book of the third trilogy of this series already released and the rest to follow I shall be waiting eagerly.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 20:13   #17
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I just finished Hunter S. Thompson's "Kingdom of Fear."

Prior to that was "The Song of Ice & Fire" series by George R.R. Martin. I'm not a particular fan of the Fantasy genre but I have to say I found those 4 books to be amongst the most well-written and enjoyable novels I have ever read.

Next on the list is a Historical Fiction novel by Bernard Cornwell, "The Last Kingdom." It's about Alfred the Great and his struggles against the Danes.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 20:18   #18
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Prior to that was "The Song of Ice & Fire" series by George R.R. Martin. I'm not a particular fan of the Fantasy genre but I have to say I found those 4 books to be amongst the most well-written and enjoyable novels I have ever read.
The rate at which he writes those books makes him a strong prospect for dying before he finishes them though
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 20:34   #19
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBG
The rate at which he writes those books makes him a strong prospect for dying before he finishes them though
I read an online interview recently where he hinted it would be finished in about 12 months. That said, the previous five year gap is not all that inspiring.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 20:38   #20
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I finished Anthony Beevor - the spanish civil war just today. It was good, but then again, it was (for me) proper propaganda. I'm thinking of getting a rightwing view on it aswell, but I dont buy fascist books as it gives fascists money
Im also try to read Mutual Aid, but its dreadfully boring. I think I've tried to read it a hundred times, but i just cant finish it. And now, with 8 exams in 5 weeks, I doubt that I will finish it this time.
I also just finished "anarchism and ecological survival" by some hippie, and its as boring as it sounds. I read a few hundred pages of a Terry Brooks book, but I could not be arsed to read it more as it was crappy.

ps Somebody recomend me a book written by a english writer before 1970 please. Something obscure that gives me lots of bonus points and that is a good read would be awesome.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 20:46   #21
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Can't go wrong with either novel by Eric Blair (aka George Orwell) if you haven't read them already. Animal Farm or 1984.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 20:48   #22
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I used them both in my first-year project, so I need new ones
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 20:51   #23
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein, I found to be a good read, originally published in 1961 iirc, and recently rereleased in it's original uncut form.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 21:14   #24
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snurx
Im also try to read Mutual Aid, but its dreadfully boring. I think I've tried to read it a hundred times, but i just cant finish it. And now, with 8 exams in 5 weeks, I doubt that I will finish it this time.
Really? I found it both readable and quite interesting.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 21:18   #25
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Just read Heart of Darkness.

Reading Frankenstein.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 21:47   #26
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm part-way through reading The Crossman Diaries, and just started re-reading My Life - Bill Clinton's autobiography. I haven't read a decent fiction book for at least a year.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 22:23   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Can't go wrong with either novel by Eric Blair (aka George Orwell) if you haven't read them already. Animal Farm or 1984.
Well, given that 1984 (especially) isn't particularly well written, I'd prefer to recommend Down and Out in Paris and London or The Road to Wigan Pier.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 22:40   #28
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Quote:
Well, given that 1984 (especially) isn't particularly well written, I'd prefer to recommend Down and Out in Paris and London or The Road to Wigan Pier.
I am not in a position to reply meaningfully as I am unfortunately ignorant of his earlier work I shall make it a point to remedy that forthwith.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 23:28   #29
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Crisis in the Southwest:
The United States, Mexico and the Struggle over Texas

by Richard Bruce Winders

The politics which led to the Texas Republic and its annexation by the United States.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 23:29   #30
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
Rawls. Again. Not sure why.
I don't believe you.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 23:50   #31
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson. It's the sixth book in a fantasy series that I (and many others) enjoy immensely. I tend to think he's one of the better authors in the genre (he can actually write!). It's been a great book so far, very complex and engaging.

Oh and I've been reading the Antichrist off and on. Trevlrs posts sparked my anti-christian sentiments, so it was time for a healthy dose of Nietzsche. Not his finest work I'll grant you, but it is well worth a read.

Lastly well, its not really a book, but I'm listening to a TTC lecture series on the ancient civilizations of asia minor delivered by Kenneth Harl. It's been really interesting and I would recommend it if you have the time to waste on it.
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 00:44   #32
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
I also finished The Brothers Karamazov about a month ago, and I don't think I have ever spent as long as I did on that on a single book (3 months). It was really good though, but not exactly bright and cheerful. A very touching book at some points as well, one of those ones where you sometimes read a paragraph twice, not because you didn't understand it, but because you want to experience it again
Dostojevskij was a genious, in my opinion. If you enjoyed Brothers Karamazov, maybe you should look into more of his books. I can recommend The Idiot, for starters, or Crime and Punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBerk
The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson, a trilogy released around the time Lord Of The Rings was. An epic story and well worth a read.
It's been a while since I read it, but I must say that though it was a good read, "the Land" doesn't seem that well thought out (compared to The Lord of the Rings, for instance). It's exciting to a certain extent, but I did not consider it to be one of the better books of this genre...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBerk
I'm currently reading The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the second trilogy, which is really keeping me engrossed. Started reading it on sunday and I am now just under half way through 1234 pages and is turning out to be even better than the first trilogy. With the first book of the third trilogy of this series already released and the rest to follow I shall be waiting eagerly.
This is news to me. Maybe I'll start reading after my exams... Now that I already know the first part, I can't just let it die there

I last read 1984 by George Orwell, and The old man and the sea, by Hemingway. I'm now reading Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. Moby Dick by Herman Melville is next on the list (due to everyone constantly saying it's a must).

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 09:11   #33
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson. It's the sixth book in a fantasy series that I (and many others) enjoy immensely. I tend to think he's one of the better authors in the genre (he can actually write!). It's been a great book so far, very complex and engaging.
I finished that last week. It was good

PS Why don't you believe me deep? It's not like I just said I was spending my days reading proust or joyce or something.
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 09:25   #34
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
PS Why don't you believe me deep? It's not like I just said I was spending my days reading proust or joyce or something.
Mainly cos Rawls is a gayer.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 09:34   #35
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Mainly cos Rawls is a gayer.
So's your face.
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 09:57   #36
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Rawls does tend towards the penis eating end of the spectrum to be fair.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 10:35   #37
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

I don't believe that you aren't sure why. I think you do know why, but for some reason do not wish to share
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 11:07   #38
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
I don't believe that you aren't sure why. I think you do know why, but for some reason do not wish to share
It puts me straight to sleep at night lololololol.

Actually it's because I haven't managed to get to the bookshop recently.
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 11:18   #39
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Surely you could elaborate. What is it you like about the book? What do you get out of it? You must have hundreds of books, what is it about this one out of all the ones you own that makes you choose it over others when you can't get to the bookshop?
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 11:59   #40
JonnyBGood
Banned

I drew nudey pictures inside it.
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 12:12   #41
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
You are quite wrong (imo), but 'Keep the Aspidistra Flying' is also good, and very neglected.
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 13:36   #42
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
I drew nudey pictures inside it.
Oh Jonny, always with the clever one liners... but what of your soul? What of beauty? Why must you hide away from us, are you so ugly?

Unread 13 Apr 2006, 13:42   #43
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I can't remember the last book I finished, but I'm on course to abandon The Annals of Ancient Rome about two thirds of the way through!
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 13:51   #44
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Oh Jonny, always with the clever one liners... but what of your soul?
Drowned in a sea of guinness.
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 14:33   #45
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
Drowned in a sea of guinness.
Stop replying to my heartfelt entreaties to stop using clever one liners with clever one liners! Are you some kind of robot?
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 14:41   #46
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Stop replying to my heartfelt entreaties to stop using clever one liners with clever one liners! Are you some kind of robot?
bwtmc thought so
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 14:43   #47
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Are you just going to keep doing this until I give up?

What do you feel?

Do you have a dark past?

Will you ever love again?

Unread 13 Apr 2006, 14:48   #48
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Are you just going to keep doing this until I give up?

What do you feel?

Do you have a dark past?

Will you ever love again?

I blame my crippling lymphoma.

No wait that's tomkat ahahahahahaha.
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 15:03   #49
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

It's like banging my head against a brick wall except that the wall makes me laugh a little bit instead of hurting me; but then I still feel empty inside.

Why do you read books? Obviously art is wasted on you anyway so why bother? You could spend the time drinking guinness and numbing the pain of your existence!
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 15:10   #50
JonnyBGood
Banned

I can put up with many things but being intellectually discredited by a half-hearted sociology student of a drug-abusing failure in life is not one of them.