User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Jul 2003, 16:02   #1
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Recommended philosophical reading

Care of dearest inf, add books if you feel I've missed out on something and I'll probably end up using this list myself.

Plato - The Republic (first truly great work on both political and individual philosophy)
Aristotle - The Nicomachean Ethics and the Eudemian Ethics (two treatises on ethics, eudemian is earlier I seem to recall)
Aristotle - De Anima (On The Soul)
(these three works are the most significant ones to understand the roots of medieval and renaissance philosophy, and indeed right up to modern times)

More - Utopia (the creation of an entire genre of literature and one of the most interesting books I've ever read, go irony btw)
Descartes - Meditations on First Philosophy (in my opinion this book signalled the end of the unquestioned dominance of the classic philosophers and scholars)
Locke - An Essay Concerning Human Understanding (Locke and Descartes set the scene for modern philosophy, basically a systematic attempt to set out the entire field of knowledge in a readable fashion. Unfortunately it does drag a bit at times)
Samuel Johnson - Selected Essays (I'm unsure how many different books go under this title but the one I have is a "penguin classic")
Rousseau - A Discourse On Inequality (he goes a bit mental at times but he's well worth it for the insights he brings if not his conclusions in their entirety)

Mill - On Liberty (First treatise to organise the ideas that had sprung up around the concept of liberty into a coherent philosophy)
Marx and Engels - The Communist Manifesto (although very different books with different emphases try reading the above two directly after each other)

Nietzche - Thus Spoke Zarathrusta [and Beyond Good And Evil to a lesser extent] (great reading and innovative ideas, despite what rubbish "liberals" would have you believe)

Sartre - The Age of Reason, Iron in the Soul and Reprieve (they're a triology whose name I always forget, roads to liberty or something, definitely one of the more readable philosophers you'll find and the father of existentialism)
Rand - Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead (essential reading to understand modern theories of objectivism-individual, which people invariably **** up, and capitalism-political)

That's about as general and broad as I can make it heh. I should probably recommend Kant (critiques of pure and practical reason) but I really don't like that guy.)

Read the history of those times (classical greece, the renaissance, the enlightenment and the 19th and early 20th centuries) as well before you read the books from those periods. And when/if you finish buy Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy, which is still the best history of philosophy you'll find.

I'd recommend some Arab philosophers from around 900AD as well but I haven't even read anything from that period myself, bar history, so I can't really comment. That's on my reading list along with any decent chinese philosophers I come across.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 16:07   #2
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little
Tao Te Ching - Lao-Tzu
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 16:14   #3
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Really? Reading isolated excerpts it seems a bit "let's all pretend we've gone totally metaphysical". Perhaps it's the translation, although I'm certainly not learning how to speak classical mandarin chinese to read a few books heh.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 16:19   #4
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
This isn't philosophy, this is history. History of philosophy to be exact.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 16:19   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Alternately, read Russell's "History of Western Philosophy" which covers most of the above, and won't take months to get through.

p.s. Rand doesn't belong on the list.
p.p.s. For a more practical look at Marxist thought, check out Engels "Origin of Private Property, Family and the State". You can't go wrong with the manifesto tho - it's not particularly "philosophical" though. Try the "German Ideology" I suppose for that.
p.p.p.s. What about Hobbes? OK, he's a tosser.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 16:22   #6
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
I recommend The New Lifetime Reading Plan to anyone who wants to bluff being well-read, for example to fit in with toffs at prestigious universities.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 16:23   #7
JonnyBGood
Banned

It was supposed to be a general introduction W. How anyone can pretend to understand something without analysing the causes behind it is beyond me.

Dante, Rand does so belong on that list (although we could put friedman on instead). And once again it's just a generalised list. Hobbes and Kant can go **** themselves.

PS Ta queball, I'll be pretending to order it soon.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 16:37   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
Dante, Rand does so belong on that list
I don't see how you can have a list of philosophical texts and have Rand over Kant (or Hegel, or Hobbes, or Acquinas, or Spinoza, or Machiavelli, etc). The former is merely a sub-par novelist.

Friedman is more of an economist, does he have much to say about philosophy?
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 16:40   #9
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
I don't see how you can have a list of philosophical texts and have Rand over Kant (or Hegel, or Hobbes, or Acquinas, or Spinoza, or Machiavelli, etc). The former is merely a sub-par novelist.

Friedman is more of an economist, does he have much to say about philosophy?

I was trying to give a relatively balanced general overview. If you want to add to it then by all means go ahead. Friedman had a few writings on political philosophy which serve to provide the same perspective as rand. Personally if I gave my own favourite list I'd say anything by voltaire and anything by nietzche and tell the rest to **** off.

PS Just thought of something else, book called the Philosophy Gym (forget the author's name).
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 16:45   #10
W
Gubbish

Quote:
It was supposed to be a general introduction W. How anyone can pretend to understand something without analysing the causes behind it is beyond me.
That's the thing. You seek to understand human philosophy. Thus you see human philosophers as the cause, and study them. You might even be very good at understanding human philosophers. But you'll never be a philosopher. I prefer to understand reality. Then human philosophers are simply inspiration.

Or to quote your link to the Tao Te Ching:
Quote:
The enlightened possess understanding
So profound they can not be understood.
Because they cannot be understood
I can only describe their appearance:

Cautious as one crossing thin ice,
Undecided as one surrounded by danger,
Modest as one who is a guest,
Unbounded as melting ice,
Genuine as unshaped wood,
Broad as a valley,
Seamless as muddy water.
The people on lists like these are the ones with the most set patterns of thought, the dogmatists, the ones who state rather than question. I'd rather read (and gain more inspiration from) a cheap scifi pocket than any of these.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 16:47   #11
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by W

Don't imagine your problems affect everyone else.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 16:51   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Personally if I gave my own favourite list I'd say anything by voltaire and anything by nietzche and tell the rest to **** off.
Voltaire is the win, but Nietzsche? I found him very poor. What useful, concrete issues did he raise? What suggestions? What insights did he make, or even spark?

Second rate poetry. He's philosophies equivalent of nu-metal.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 16:53   #13
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Voltaire is the win, but Nietzsche? I found him very poor. What useful, concrete issues did he raise? What suggestions? What insights did he make, or even spark?

Second rate poetry. He's philosophies equivalent of nu-metal.

They both made me laugh. (More gets a mention for making me grin wryly).
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 16:59   #14
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Are there any history books you'd recommend to accompany the time periods my love?
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:01   #15
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by KaneED
Are there any history books you'd recommend to accompany the time periods my love?
Aye but they're probably too right-wing/not completely made up for dante and W respectively.

PS I tried to :rolleyes: in size 52 but it wouldn't work :(
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:02   #16
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
And, for those books that are stories, how do you decipher their philosophical meaning or do they become patently obvious when you actualyl read the book?
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:04   #17
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Don't imagine your problems affect everyone else.
What problems are these?

Let me recommend my own list of philosophical reading:
  • The five books of the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy triology
  • The Centauri Device by M. John Harrison
  • Stranger In A Strange Land and The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein
  • Gravity Dreams and The Forever Hero by L. E. Modesitt jr
  • The Dispossessed by Ursula LeGuin

Yes, these are all science fiction books. They'll do more for your mind than years studying historical philosophy.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:09   #18
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Aye but they're probably too right-wing/not completely made up for dante and W respectively.
The issue is not whether anyone is right or left wing. It's whether they make a significant contribution to the body of work, or are "relevent" in some academic sense (depending on why you're reading of course).

It's the equivalent of including Insane Badger in a "Britain's Top 100 Intellectuals" list. Not connected to him being right-wing but still absurd.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:10   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by KaneED
And, for those books that are stories, how do you decipher their philosophical meaning or do they become patently obvious when you actualyl read the book?

They try to encourage you to develop your own understanding of the situation so it mirrors theirs. Well most of them do, rand just belabours the point until you cry. Mostly they're fairly obvious though, that's the gift of a great novelist.

W, the problem you appeared to state you have when you said
Quote:
The people on lists like these are the ones with the most set patterns of thought, the dogmatists, the ones who state rather than question. I'd rather read (and gain more inspiration from) a cheap scifi pocket than any of these.
You seem to state here that you feel that you feel yourself unable to glean anything of worth from those philosophers. I can, and have. Thus it's your problem and not mine.

And those books might do more for your mind, however seeing as I've read a few of those I'll say that I felt that voltaire or aristotle did more for my mind than the authors you just mentioned.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:11   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by W
They'll do more for your mind than years studying historical philosophy.
As much as it pains me to say, I partially agree with W here. A lot of contemporary philosophy seems mired in a weird past-worshipping phase where no-one actually does anything.

To paraphrase Daniel Dennett : We should not learn philosophy, we should do it.

Of course, there are still a lot of insights to be gained, etc, etc.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:12   #21
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
The issue is not whether anyone is right or left wing. It's whether they make a significant contribution to the body of work, or are "relevent" in some academic sense (depending on why you're reading of course).

It's the equivalent of including Insane Badger in a "Britain's Top 100 Intellectuals" list. Not connected to him being right-wing but still absurd.
I said recommended philosophical reading, not greatest philosophers ever and the works they've written. I'm not going to go around telling everyone they should only read marxist books or objectivist ones or that they should only study existentialism. I trust in people to make their own decisions when they're given enough information, rather than force-feeding them everything that I've managed to convince myself is correct.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:19   #22
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I said recommended philosophical reading, not greatest philosophers ever and the works they've written.
I'm aware of this, however I still wouldn't recommend Rand to someone who was looking for some sort of insight (which I presume is the point of the exercise). This is nothing to do with accuracy or even political ideology - I wouldn't recommend Lenin to most either (depending on their interest of course).

Obviously it's your list and you can recommend what you wish, but I presume you wished for some kind of debate.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:21   #23
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
I'm aware of this, however I still wouldn't recommend Rand to someone who was looking for some sort of insight (which I presume is the point of the exercise). This is nothing to do with accuracy or even political ideology - I wouldn't recommend Lenin to most either (depending on their interest of course).

Obviously it's your list and you can recommend what you wish, but I presume you wished for some kind of debate.

It was supposed to be a general introduction actually. inf said he wanted a starting point, and I'm fairly sure there's a couple of different starting points in there. You presumed right or else I would have just pmed him the list. However I was hoping more for other books and reasons why they're recommended than why the above list is missing xyz or why it's not really philosophy and so on and so forth.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:24   #24
plasmas_arms
Banned

plasmas_arms is an unknown quantity at this point
Nietzsche is it not?
plasmas_arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:25   #25
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by plasmas_arms
Nietzsche is it not?

Screw you pedant with your narrowly defined limitations and ego-centric life. You're preventing my womanhood from fully blossoming :(
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:28   #26
plasmas_arms
Banned

Quote:
Screw you pedant with your narrowly defined limitations and ego-centric life. You're preventing my womanhood from fully blossoming
I think you're great jonny. When you come to scotland I'm buying you a beer!
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:31   #27
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
I think you're great jonny. When you come to scotland I'm buying you a beer!

Ah, thanks tony :))))
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:33   #28
plasmas_arms
Banned

Quote:
Ah, thanks tony )))
As long as its not guiness, Sure Johnny
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:34   #29
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
As long as its not guiness, Sure Johnny
As long as it's not tennants I'm totally up for it as well.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:35   #30
plasmas_arms
Banned

Quote:
As long as it's not tennants I'm totally up for it as well.
Tiger it is then.

Maybe some bucky ))
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:37   #31
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Tiger it is then.

Maybe some bucky ))

Tiger beer? Never heard of it.

PS we still hijack threads pretty well!
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:37   #32
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
As much as it pains me to say, I partially agree with W here. A lot of contemporary philosophy seems mired in a weird past-worshipping phase where no-one actually does anything.

To paraphrase Daniel Dennett : We should not learn philosophy, we should do it.

Of course, there are still a lot of insights to be gained, etc, etc.
I dunno. Phenomonology has been successful in physics. Marxism and critical theory are intensely practical for everything else. There's various ideas like memeology and cybernetics which are sort of philosophical. Ethics is still as strong as ever.

If someone comes up with an idea that helps me argue in Internet discussions then . What contemporary philosophy do you mean?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:38   #33
plasmas_arms
Banned

Quote:
Tiger beer? Never heard of it.

PS we still hijack threads pretty well!
Its singaporean (?) and I like it.

Can you be said to hijack your own thread, isnt it just 'redirecting' ?
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 17:39   #34
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
If someone comes up with an idea that helps me argue in Internet discussions then . What contemporary philosophy do you mean?

Whenever anyone asks me for what I recommend concerning contemporary philosophy I always link to this.

PS I can do anything now they've made me a mod!
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 18:33   #35
W
Gubbish

What I want to know is what Inf wants. What purpose those this thread serve for him?
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 19:03   #36
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
i thoguht you and jonny arguing was amusing for about 30 seconds...

that served enough of a purpose for me.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 19:32   #37
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by W
What I want to know is what Inf wants. What purpose those this thread serve for him?

Maybe he forgot to pm his thoughts to you
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 20:40   #38
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
What contemporary philosophy do you mean?
I meant the study of philosophy at universities, although to be honest, I'm mainly discussing political philosophy (which my experience stems from). One of the reasons I found studying politics to be tiresome was that it was all learning what other people thought of fundamental questions. Not as a starting point, but an end point too.

And then it get's more abstract. It's not "What do you think of the role of the state", it's "What was Marx's view of the state?", and then "What did Foucault think of Marx's view of the state" to "What did some piss-ant nobody think of Foucault's view of the Marxist view....", etc.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 21:05   #39
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by W
I wanted a few recommendations of philosophy texts.

Thanks to Jonny. Any other recommendations are welcome.

Also links to (free) ebooks would be good.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 23:37   #40
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally posted by inf

I mean, why?

You motive tells alot more of what to recommend.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 00:01   #41
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by W
I mean, why?

You motive tells alot more of what to recommend.
I just want to explore philpsophy a bit.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 00:31   #42
huh
WHY DID YOU PUSH GRANDMA

huh is an unknown quantity at this point
This thread is full of pretentious waste and should be deleted before the world cringes too much.
huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 00:44   #43
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
John Stuart Mill - O(n)f (Liberty) his own free will on half a pint of shandy was particularly ill
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 00:53   #44
G_frog
Look over there!

G_frog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by inf

Try Project Gutenberg for ebooks of raw philosophical texts.

Russell's History of Western Philosophy is probably a very good starting point.

P.S. I feel honour-bound to state that daniel dennett makes richard dawkins look like richard lewontin. (for the non-biologists, that makes him a fool.)
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 00:58   #45
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by G_frog
Russell
There you go, bringing god into it again
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 01:01   #46
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by huh
This thread is full of pretentious waste and should be deleted before the world cringes too much.

We really need a size 50 rolleyes smiley guys.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 01:38   #47
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Is this the thread where I tell everyone how clever I am?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 01:40   #48
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
Is this the thread where I tell everyone how clever I am?
Sure, why not, we all need a good laugh
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 01:44   #49
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by W
Sure, why not, we all need a good laugh
ur dum
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 06:05   #50
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by G_frog
P.S. I feel honour-bound to state that daniel dennett makes richard dawkins look like richard lewontin. (for the non-biologists, that makes him a fool.)
Hey, what's wrong with Lewontin?

Dawkins is OK, although I'm generous since he's a pretty strong atheist.

[edit]And Matt Ridley smells[/edit]