User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 12:05   #1
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
Troll of the week: Complaint

So, I have an opinion which may not conform to the majority of others and this causes people of dubious intelligence to label me a 'troll'. But thats to be expected when you hang around people who have shoe sizes which match their IQ.

Then to make things even worse, a certain mod join in with this name calling and 'singling out' buy adding a silly and unnecessary comment into the title of a thread I posted earlier.

Quite frankly, I expect better of the people given authority to moderate this board.

It not right to label and make fun of someone just because of their opinion and its bad enough when ordinary posters do it but its part worse when moderators join in.

JammyJim, do you find it acceptable to have people board who assist in targetting individuals in this way, mereley because their opinion differs from the majority? I dont.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 12:20   #2
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Some mods are and will remain twats. They think that since they've somehow been judged responsible and adult enough to wield the power of a moderator, that they're close to unimpeachable. Unfortuneately they're right.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 12:26   #3
BarbieKen

Sadly, mod abuse on these boards are excessive.

And, as W said, they get away with it.

Unread 21 Jul 2003, 12:26   #4
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 12:29   #5
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
PM JJ and Ashknight if there's a problem, they'll sort it hopefully.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 12:34   #6
BarbieKen

Quote:
Originally posted by KaneED
PM JJ and Ashknight if there's a problem, they'll sort it hopefully.
Problem is the 'friends of friends' threatment.

If MrL/Kurashima was to start a gimmick, it would just be cool and witty, but since John Doe does it, it's stupid and boring.

Notice the double standards..

Unread 21 Jul 2003, 12:36   #7
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
mod bashing again... stuff really does go in cycles doesn't it?

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 12:42   #8
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
mod bashing
with me it's a constant thing.....oh sorry I meant bishop bashing. HAHAHAHAHAHAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 13:42   #9
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You trolled better in the other thread.

This is just daft.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 13:54   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Covered in advance guys.

This is not a democracy.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 14:08   #11
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
actually mistar CT as usual it isnt really about what you said or the opinions you have but rather the cack way in which they were expressed. Ive found PA GD to be actually very tolerant to different ideas, and the mods and the GD posters are open to well constructed/thoughtout views. Saying that you went to cuba and wanted to shake the hands of the guards guarding the terrorist scum isnt either.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 14:13   #12
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Nusselt
actually mistar CT as usual it isnt really about what you said or the opinions you have but rather the cack way in which they were expressed. Ive found PA GD to be actually very tolerant to different ideas, and the mods and the GD posters are open to well constructed/thoughtout views. Saying that you went to cuba and wanted to shake the hands of the guards guarding the terrorist scum isnt either.
Whether people like it or not that is my opinion and the way I expressed that was spot on. You have been able to recite it without error, which I am pleased to say.

You see, just because I prefer not to write a 500 word essay with links backing my reasons for my opinion doesnt mean it is any less valid, and it certainly doesnt deserve name calling. Does it?
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 14:17   #13
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by CrashTester
You see, just because I prefer not to write a 500 word essay with links backing my reasons for my opinion doesnt mean it is any less valid, and it certainly doesnt deserve name calling. Does it?
Yes it does, and if you're allowed freedom of speech so is everyone else. If you express an opinion in an online forum you have to expect that if everybody thinks you and your post are total shiet they're going to tell you. This is not an AOL chatroom.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 14:19   #14
BarbieKen

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
Yes it does, and if you're allowed freedom of speech so is everyone else. If you express an opinion in an online forum you have to expect that if everybody thinks you and your post are total shiet they're going to tell you. This is not an AOL chatroom.
Fair enought, but you should rise above this as you are moderators. It's like letting a judge participate as a judge in a trial towards himself.

Unread 21 Jul 2003, 14:23   #15
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by BarbieKen
Fair enought, but you should rise above this as you are moderators. It's like letting a judge participate as a judge in a trial towards himself.

I'm not an admin, and I will not force anybody to do anything that they do not wish to do.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 14:25   #16
CrashTester
I am an idiot

Quote:
Except 'a mod' isnt everyone else and should not therefore provolke people into having a negative reaction towards other posters.

That isnt what you are here for.

If people dont like what I or anyone else has to say, they are free to click ignore.

I dont have a problem with posters calling me what they like in public or in private, I will give as good as I get and that kinda nullifies your argument. What I do object to is moderators abusing their powers to prompt other posters into viewing others in a negative way. Its unnecessary and wrong. I'd expect even someone like you to understand that.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 14:26   #17
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Fifth_teletubbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

You see, just because I prefer not to write a 500 word essay with links backing my reasons for my opinion doesnt mean it is any less valid
ROFLMAO

Ostraka: It's a Social Club with guns (and K-Y)
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 14:33   #18
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
What I do object to is moderators abusing their powers to prompt other posters into viewing others in a negative way.
You obviously don't read the forums enough.

No-one pays any attention to what I say and the idea that people are prompted by mods into having opinions is utterly laughable.

HEY KIDS, I HEAR TAKING HEROIN IS COOL AND GETS YOU LOTS OF FRIENDS, I TAKE IT MYSELF LOTS AND LOTS SO IF YOU WANT TO BE COOL AND HIP AND HAPPENING LIKE THIS HERE MOD, YOU SHOULD TRY IT TOO....

Unread 21 Jul 2003, 14:34   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Except 'a mod' isnt everyone else and should not therefore provolke people into having a negative reaction towards other posters.

That isnt what you are here for.

If people dont like what I or anyone else has to say, they are free to click ignore.

I dont have a problem with posters calling me what they like in public or in private, I will give as good as I get and that kinda nullifies your argument. What I do object to is moderators abusing their powers to prompt other posters into viewing others in a negative way. Its unnecessary and wrong. I'd expect even someone like you to understand that.
I don't quite understand. Were we granted special powers to coerce other posters into viewing certain people in a negative way while I was gone? To be completely honest I haven't a ****ing clue what you think we do in our spare time. If you call me a ****ing spastic when I do something stupid I'm not going to close your account and get you IP banned and I don't think any of the other mods would. When I agreed to be a mod (both times) I don't remember a 'thou shalt not post anything which could be misconstrued as remotely controversial' rule.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 14:45   #20
BarbieKen

Quote:
I'm not an admin, and I will not force anybody to do anything that they do not wish to do.
Noone said that. Read, think, write.

Unread 21 Jul 2003, 14:53   #21
CrashTester
I am an idiot

Quote:
I don't quite understand. Were we granted special powers to coerce other posters into viewing certain people in a negative way while I was gone? To be completely honest I haven't a ****ing clue what you think we do in our spare time. If you call me a ****ing spastic when I do something stupid I'm not going to close your account and get you IP banned and I don't think any of the other mods would. When I agreed to be a mod (both times) I don't remember a 'thou shalt not post anything which could be misconstrued as remotely controversial' rule.

Dude, dont get rattled. Its really simple.

If people want to think of me as a piece of sh*t that is fine, they can call me that in public if they wish and I will be happy to tell them what I think of them in return.

If people dont think Im a piece of sh*t, I dont think it is right that any moderator uses the edit option to announce to the whole forum that i am a troll, as what happened earlier.

Its not a special feature, its the plain old edit option.

I dont care if a moderator thinks im a piece of sh*t, so long as my posts are treated like everyone else's and Im only repremanded when Im in the wrong.

I dont care what you do in your spare time and more than I care what the security guards down stairs do in their spare time. It's of no interest to me whatsoever.

Its refreshing to hear that I am able to call you a f*cking spastic without worrying whether you are going to close my account and IP ban me. Thats just the way it should be, since in my experience most moderators are f*cking spastics.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 14:54   #22
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Noone said that. Read, think, write.

I was pointing out you're talking to the wrong person. Any and all complaints/suggestions concerning mods should go to either JJ or Ashy.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 14:56   #23
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
I dont think it is right that any moderator uses the edit option to announce to the whole forum that i am a troll
Don't worry. Everyone already came to that conclusion long before Dead_Meat announced it.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 15:01   #24
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
If people dont think Im a piece of sh*t, I dont think it is right that any moderator uses the edit option to announce to the whole forum that i am a troll, as what happened earlier.

Its not a special feature, its the plain old edit option.

I dont care if a moderator thinks im a piece of sh*t, so long as my posts are treated like everyone else's and Im only repremanded when Im in the wrong.

You are treated like everyone else, and excuse me but you're lucky that thread wasn't closed or deleted. In case you're unaware this board has a "no trolling" clause in the rules. Thus threads which are considered by a mod to be "trolling threads" may be closed/deleted/edited as they so wish. If you wish to debate whether that thread was a troll or not you can, as I said above, take it up with JJ or Ashy.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 15:23   #25
CrashTester
I am an idiot

Quote:
You are treated like everyone else, and excuse me but you're lucky that thread wasn't closed or deleted. In case you're unaware this board has a "no trolling" clause in the rules. Thus threads which are considered by a mod to be "trolling threads" may be closed/deleted/edited as they so wish. If you wish to debate whether that thread was a troll or not you can, as I said above, take it up with JJ or Ashy.
Im fully aware of the ill defined 'no trolling' clause and what I am trying to say to you and anyone else is that these are my opinions no matter how different they are to yours or theirs no matter how I express them.

If one moderator announces that 'this thread is a troll thread' then people will look on that as some kind of definition and Im forever labelled as such. Thats abuse.

If I thought I would get anywhere with JJ I would take it up with him, but we are talking about a man who has so far been incapable of definining this very topic and I know the reaction I will get.

So I thought I'd bring it here as a discussion.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 15:31   #26
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Im fully aware of the ill defined 'no trolling' clause and what I am trying to say to you and anyone else is that these are my opinions no matter how different they are to yours or theirs no matter how I express them.

If one moderator announces that 'this thread is a troll thread' then people will look on that as some kind of definition and Im forever labelled as such. Thats abuse.

If I thought I would get anywhere with JJ I would take it up with him, but we are talking about a man who has so far been incapable of definining this very topic and I know the reaction I will get.
The reason we have mods and not an automated moderating machine is because cases arise which require the ability of a mod to recognise and differentiate between different individual cases (ie clause one). If you post a porn link you've posted a porn link. If you've posted a troll thread you've posted a troll thread. I've posted a fair few I imagine since I joined this forum, if this makes me a troll so ****ing what? People aren't told what to think by the mods. If your thread is a troll thread that means you've posted a troll thread as I said, it does not necessarily mean you are a troll. That's for everyone to decide on their own.

Everyone has an opinion. However if my opinion is that black people are all ****ing wankers and should **** off back to whatever ****ing ****hole they crawled out of that's racism. If my opinion is that anyone who posts a thread using the word 'about' are faggot loving homosexuals whose parents should all die for the crrime of having sexual relations with a monkey that's flaming. If my opinion is that prisoners currently unconvicted of a crime should be abused by their guards that's trolling. That's my opinion and the fact I hold those opinions are part of the reason I'm a mod here. Most mods have relatively similar opinions because of the very fact that they were picked because of those opinions.

The trolling clause is ill defined because you choose not to acknowledge and instead to disagree with it. It does remain though, and it does exist. We're here to interpret it.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 15:39   #27
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Meat
HEY KIDS, I HEAR TAKING HEROIN IS COOL
Posting "If I told you to try heroin, would you do it?" retrospectively is one thing. Actually posting an imperative in the present tense without any sort of sarcasm indicator is likely to get you sued.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 15:42   #28
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Sued? By who? The Internet police or little Johnny's parents in ten years time when he dies of an overdose?

Don't be silly.

Unread 21 Jul 2003, 15:43   #29
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
HEY KIDS, I HEAR SUEING IS NOT COOL

Problem solved.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 15:50   #30
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
Irresponsible behaviour from someone I'd expect to know better, DM.

Anyway:

Jonny is right to draw a distinction between a troll, and a user who makes a troll post. It's also true that just because one is entitled to have an opinion, it does not neccessarily follow that the opinion is automatically valid or suitable to be expressed on a public board that anybody can access.

However, I have to agree with crashtester that mods should not be poking fun at members for their own amusement by changing the attributes of a thread. Making a title more descriptive is one thing - but changing it to degrade a forum member in front of their peers is not the sort of behaviour I would tolerate from any of the mods on the boards I administer.

Mods should have the insight and initiative to interpret the vague trolling clause, and make full use of their discretionary powers, but above all they should be impartial as the name Moderator itself implies. Otherwise there is no point in having them.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 15:50   #31
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
HEY KIDS, I HEAR SUEING IS NOT COOL
Problem solved.
lol

Interesting approach.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 15:56   #32
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
I thought it was quite imaginative of DM. Like the guys who made the model of some Legoland employee with his arm in a sling. Yeah, it might have been offensive, but it was cool.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 16:00   #33
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

Chojin is an unknown quantity at this point
It's nice that CrashTester gets this sort of support but when I rant at the mods for abusing their powers nobody bothers.

Edit: As a point of note, though, I now fully support the moderators. Being the crap poster that he is, I'm all for editing CrashTester's message content.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 16:03   #34
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
I thought it was quite imaginative of DM. Like the guys who made the model of some Legoland employee with his arm in a sling. Yeah, it might have been offensive, but it was cool.
Most countries have strict laws against publishing that sort of comment. There'll also be legal precedent for determining whether or not the author had the right to 'decide' if there were people in the expected audience stupid enough to think it was actual advice.

Those Lego guys at Windsor must be a bit crap really - they got the sling on the wrong arm ffs. I can see why the guy was offended.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 16:06   #35
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by sayonara
Most countries have strict laws against publishing that sort of comment. There'll also be legal precedent for determining whether or not the author had the right to 'decide' if there were people in the expected audience stupid enough to think it was actual advice.
The thread title editing thing I mean. I thoroughly recommend trying heroin to anyone who does not have an addictive personality and can be sure of the hygiene.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 16:11   #36
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
The thread title editing thing I mean.
This is my point (my point from the post about Crash anyway).

It might have been extremely witty and clever and made people laugh, but that is not in any way justification for doing it. That's exactly the opposite of how a mod should behave.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 16:17   #37
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

Chojin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

It might have been extremely witty and clever and made people laugh, but that is not in any way justification for doing it. That's exactly the opposite of how a mod should behave.
On a larger board, perhaps.

On a board such as this, with a fairly small member base, it's quite acceptable.

Notice that people who don't make crap threads don't generally get their post content edited.

The solution is obvious: Don't make crap threads.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 16:21   #38
queball
Ball

Quote:

Of course it is justification. The question is this simple: would you rather have a system that delivered the funny efficiently, or a system that delivered the funny inefficiently?
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 16:31   #39
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Of course it is justification. The question is this simple: would you rather have a system that delivered the funny efficiently, or a system that delivered the funny inefficiently?
I'd rather have a system that doesn't involve the authorities getting their kicks from predating on the customers. Fortunately on all the forums I actually care about I am in a position to enforce such conditions.

Funnies at somebody else's expense are never 'humour'. They are mockery, plain and simple.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 17:02   #40
CrashTester
I am an idiot

Quote:
However, I have to agree with crashtester that mods should not be poking fun at members for their own amusement by changing the attributes of a thread. Making a title more descriptive is one thing - but changing it to degrade a forum member in front of their peers is not the sort of behaviour I would tolerate from any of the mods on the boards I administer.

Mods should have the insight and initiative to interpret the vague trolling clause, and make full use of their discretionary powers, but above all they should be impartial as the name Moderator itself implies. Otherwise there is no point in having them.

Finally, someone who actually see's the point of this. Thank you for making it a little more A grade.

Chojin: You are a funny funny little man. Nothing more mind, just a funny little man.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 17:22   #41
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
If MrL/Kurashima was to start a gimmick, it would just be cool and witty, but since John Doe does it, it's stupid and boring.
Don't look at me. Aside from this account, and other 'main' accounts I've used (such as 'MrL'), I've had Wiggles, which was for one joke (and I forgot to log out of it, so quite a lot of 'normal' posting was done for it) and 'Not MrL_JaKiri' for the thread which said 'The only thread that MrL_JaKiri hasn't posted in'.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 17:24   #42
queball
Ball

gimmick != gimmick account
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 17:31   #43
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Meat
Sued? By who? The Internet police or little Johnny's parents in ten years time when he dies of an overdose?
But then who will I play pool with?
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 17:34   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
gimmick != gimmick account
I've not really had much gimmickary of any kind.

And noone thinks it's funny when I do. Ma homie.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 17:35   #45
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Oh, and does this thread mean people respect me and expect me to be mature and disinterested?

Oh
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 17:53   #46
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Originally posted by Chojin
On a larger board, perhaps.
On a board such as this, with a fairly small member base, it's quite acceptable.
Sorry, I missed that post earlier. Was furtively reading the boards from work

I don't call 13,000 + users after a couple of purges 'a small userbase', but then size is relative for forums isn't it?

You comments about non-crap threads not being meddled with are true, but the simple fact that somebody made a thread that's not as good as the others available does not give the right to publically deride the user to the people who are supposed to be keeping order.

This might not be a democracy, but it's not Nero's Rome either.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 18:07   #47
queball
Ball

MrL: I agree that no-one thinks it's funny.

Quote:
This might not be a democracy, but it's not Nero's Rome either.
But you're advocating communism!
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 18:08   #48
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I don't call 13,000 + users after a couple of purges 'a small userbase', but then size is relative for forums isn't it?
13,000 users, about 30 or 40 of whom at most post on GD.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 18:10   #49
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
MrL: I agree that no-one thinks it's funny.
I tend to do more things because of irony than humour.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 18:11   #50
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
13,000 users, about 30 or 40 of whom at most post on GD.
I still don't see the correlation between number of people affected and level of justification or acceptability.