User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 14 Dec 2005, 10:56   #1
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
The aims of PA:N?

arriving a little late to the pa:n party, so appologies if this has already been covered - i looked, tho not too hard

what i've seen so far is a list of what would be 'nice' to have, combat wise. i think someone somewhere mentioned that there's a cunning plan to do something about blocking.

what i've not seen is any statement as to the goals for this recode.

i'm aware that the perl code base is proving problematic to maintain, and that the combat engine is starting to creak under the weight of various bodges. both of which seem to indicate that a recode is a good idea, but given the oppertinities associated with starting from scratch i'd be disapointed if these were the only objectives people have.

obviously, you're not going to tell people about whatever ideas you have to change the game in an earth shattering way - i'd imagine jolt wouldn't let you, asside from anything else. however, i don't see why you can't say something about the overarching goals of the project.

for example:
i'm assuming that one of the goal is to increase the player base, which means increasing the amount of people comming to the game and hopefully decreasing the amount of people leaving the game. however, what do you think you need to do to achieve this? does the game need to be more accessable? should it take less time to play? should it involve less 'unsociable hours'.

likewise, i assume that the cunning plan to make blocking less pointful stems from a desire to make the game more fluid?

basically, what criteria will you be judging ideas against, when deciding if they're worth including?

thanks.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 11:31   #2
Goatsemaster
Just like science!

Goatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of light
Re: The aims of PA:N?

The goal of PAN is to fit the most acronyms into a game ever.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 12:26   #3
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

I think its also so the game is coded in a language Kloopy is more happy with, as well as the currant code doesnt allow much changing so all the currant changes (features/bug fixes) and just "tacked on" to the existing code.

They want to make the code easier to improve and easier to run rounds with different settings, tick speed/alliance size\ combat tick\gal size\etc

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 13:02   #4
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler
I think its also so the game is coded in a language Kloopy is more happy with, as well as the currant code doesnt allow much changing so all the currant changes (features/bug fixes) and just "tacked on" to the existing code.

They want to make the code easier to improve and easier to run rounds with different settings, tick speed/alliance size\ combat tick\gal size\etc

Think thats a good accuarate statement.

I think there just after an nice and easy simple code that they can play with.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 14:01   #5
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
Think thats a good accuarate statement.

I think there just after an nice and easy simple code that they can play with.
but does just another code deserve the name PA:N ? the name implies a bigger change or improvement to me. maybe a new code is a big improvement for PA-Team but not for the players that usually do not see a lot of code during gaming

like i dont care if coca-cola changes the receipt if it still tastes the same etc they wont go around and advert : COKE NEXT ... now with the same taste as always!

you shouldnt get the impression that i dont support a change or recoding of PA if it makes it better to handle or is needed for later improvements but definatly if you praise PA:N high and there are only minor visible changes to *old* PA it wont attract new players.

i think quite some 'old' players put *hope* into PA:N to really get a better and different PA - not only a recode of something we had before.

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 15:22   #6
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

'twould seem a bit of a wasted opertunity just to recode without changing anything. but that asside, i get the impression that things will be changed, i'm just wondering as to the objectives of those changes.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 15:42   #7
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Well They could call it PAX-2
I am sure they will change a lot of things like the overview and stuff and Kal keeps popping lil bits about changes TBA one day sometime in the future.
I think the whole point of PAN is to have an easier way to make things because with the code they have now they are very restricted in how they do things and so cant make changes they want to from the generous ppl in the old suggestions forums.

Unread 14 Dec 2005, 16:55   #8
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupp
but does just another code deserve the name PA:N ? the name implies a bigger change or improvement to me. maybe a new code is a big improvement for PA-Team but not for the players that usually do not see a lot of code during gaming

like i dont care if coca-cola changes the receipt if it still tastes the same etc they wont go around and advert : COKE NEXT ... now with the same taste as always!

you shouldnt get the impression that i dont support a change or recoding of PA if it makes it better to handle or is needed for later improvements but definatly if you praise PA:N high and there are only minor visible changes to *old* PA it wont attract new players.

i think quite some 'old' players put *hope* into PA:N to really get a better and different PA - not only a recode of something we had before.
they are also adding a lot of the festures poeple have been suggesting over r13/14

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 20:10   #9
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

The basic aims are as follows:
- To make it easier to make changes from round the round in the future and thus speed up long term development
- To have a much more modern and forward looking user interface so we can stand out above other similar games
- To produce a game that jolt are wlling to put more investment into than they currently are
- To produce a game that is easier for new players to pick up, but that offers more levels for the more seasoned player

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 20:16   #10
mist
Jolt's best friend

given that jolt own planetarion i assume that

- To increase the potential for profit from Planetarion

is a given?

i notice that your last point contains two possibly contradictory goals. how would you describe the weighting between each of them?
at what point would you say a new player becomes a seasoned player, or is there a demographic in the middle that you don't care about?
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 20:27   #11
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
i notice that your last point contains two possibly contradictory goals. how would you describe the weighting between each of them?
at what point would you say a new player becomes a seasoned player, or is there a demographic in the middle that you don't care about?
basically there will be some features that are by default off, but if turned on make the game more complex in terms of planet management - thats one way in which we are tackling that.

I also forogt our team objectives which I guess are connected to the aims of pan:

- To double the games player base within 5 rounds
- To process each individual payment within 24 hours of it being placed into the system
- To respond to individual support requests within 24 hours of them being submitted
- To respond to emails within 24 hours of them being received
- To respond to multihunter queries within 24 hours

So with pan we will also be aiming to do anything we can to help us meet thoose objectives

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 20 Dec 2005, 20:34   #12
mist
Jolt's best friend

so, turning off your mailserver is first on your list of things to do?

how will you address the disadvantage that newbies suffer from not using the 'advanced features'? how long do you envisage them not doing so?
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 20:52   #13
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
so, turning off your mailserver is first on your list of things to do?

how will you address the disadvantage that newbies suffer from not using the 'advanced features'? how long do you envisage them not doing so?
the main areas of the game that the advanced stuff will come in is really an area appoco is looking at more than me, but I get the impression that the features tend to give more control, but not really that much of a direct advantage.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 20 Dec 2005, 22:10   #14
mist
Jolt's best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
...I get the impression that the features tend to give more control, but not really that much of a direct advantage.
i assume you're aware of the chess board and rice demonstration of exponential growth.
you'd think the odd grain of rice wasn't much of a direct advantage.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 22:14   #15
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
i assume you're aware of the chess board and rice demonstration of exponential growth.
you'd think the odd grain of rice wasn't much of a direct advantage.

we will all have to wait and see what appoco has in mind

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 20 Dec 2005, 22:19   #16
mist
Jolt's best friend

otherwise known as the "don't reveal what we want to do untill it's too late to change it" school of development?

or does the nda predicate a need to know basis within pateam now, to cut down leaks*?

*geoff, if you read this - it's not a good idea. stop. no. really. it's not. doh.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 22:28   #17
Kal
Inactive peon

no i mean I don't have a full udnerstanding of appco's stuff so i'd probably explain it incorrectly.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 21 Dec 2005, 10:44   #18
noah02
The Original Terran

Come on appoco help Kal out here

Unread 21 Dec 2005, 10:44   #19
mist
Jolt's best friend

iirc, appoco's largely mia for the next while. something about women...*boggle*
Unread 21 Dec 2005, 10:47   #20
Kal
Inactive peon

I denied him permission to go and see her, but he just wouldn't listen :/

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 21 Dec 2005, 10:52   #21
mist
Jolt's best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I denied him permission to go and see her, but he just wouldn't listen :/
look on the bright side - 'least you have someone to blame!
Unread 26 Dec 2005, 05:33   #22
Anonymous Hero
I can be your hero!

Anonymous Hero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
- To double the games player base within 5 rounds
Just a quick thought regarding this one, will Planetarion be made noob friendly enough to support this? Planetarion is not going to get an increase of players if people are forced to use forums/IRC just to play the game.

I'd like to see Planetarion do much better, however unless the game is made more open to people who aren't able to dedicate loads of time into it then there won't be much of an increase in the playerbase. You probably have your own statistics on the amount of new players who login a few times, get bashed then never bother again.

There are only so many hardcore players available to play the game as it currently is.
Anonymous Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2005, 05:41   #23
Death666
Im Back :)

Death666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Hero
Just a quick thought regarding this one, will Planetarion be made noob friendly enough to support this? Planetarion is not going to get an increase of players if people are forced to use forums/IRC just to play the game.

I'd like to see Planetarion do much better, however unless the game is made more open to people who aren't able to dedicate loads of time into it then there won't be much of an increase in the playerbase. You probably have your own statistics on the amount of new players who login a few times, get bashed then never bother again.

There are only so many hardcore players available to play the game as it currently is.

Well IRC is easy to get and use...so dont know what the problem is...all they will need is a guide on how to use IRC with some screenshots to show the person what to do...like login into P

Even if they know how to get IRC they can use com unit ingame which is easy to use as well seeing as everything is there straight away...

RD13 - IRON|APA
RD14 - APA
RD15 - InSomnia|Violent Saints HC
RD19 - Subh|ROCK
RD20 - Insurrection|Solo
RD21 - LOST|Subh
RD22 - Subh DC
RD30 - Redemption
Death666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2005, 12:33   #24
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold

Its not just about IRC tho, if you picture yourself as a new player, you sign up etc, start playin for a few days/weeks, you want to see how you like the game before you put loads of effort into it and jump into things like pa.

the problem is, they're often bashed and have left before they get to the point that they want to give it a try.

The problem is PA itself, its an overly aggressive unforgiving game, and as long as it is like this, then the playerbase will keep decreasing.

The only thing that I can think of is somehow making the salvage rate dependant on how much the value of your attacker was compared to your own value. so that the bigger the attacking value the most salvage you retain, might help people regrow, but alliances would take advantage as they always do.

Its either that, or limit the amount of incomming fleet value on your planet using some sort of formulae based on your value within the universe. this would stop dozens of people launching on the new guy all at the same time.

i.e the guy is 1/4 of the global average, so he can only have a maximum of 2x his value in attacking fleet value. Yeah he'd still get pounded, but its likely to only be for 1 or 2 waves before the max attacking value has been used up, and he'd be fine for the travel time etc.

Or allow new players to go into hiding lol, i.e all there roids etc produce 1/4 resources for the entire time they are within that mode, but they can only be attacked by people with roughly the same value as themselves. This would allow smaller people to pretty much fight amount themselves and have there own little wars and such, and because of the 75% resource loss, the bigger alliances cant really complain about it being abusable, because they can still be attacked by people the same size, it just stops bashers.