User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 10 May 2010, 09:37   #1
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

x-dANGEr is infamous around these parts
Private/Public galaxies = gold

The idea is quite simple. Private galaxies and public galaxies have (would) split the universe in two categories.

Category one: Eight planet galaxies, large value planets, large score. Action between high skilled players take place at these galaxies. Much competitive and active.

Category two: Random galaxies, less value planets, less score. Action between less skilled players take place at these galaxies. Much competitive and less active.

Most of this might be false in terms of facts and concepts. Please try to see the idea behind. If you have a game at which both the highly active player and the less active player are awarded, and are having fun, you hit gold.

For that to happen, there needs to be a separate ranking for Private Galaxies and Random Galaxies, and "maybe" for players in each as well. That would give the private galaxies the league of their own to dominate. Since they can't really compete with galaxies maybe 4 times their size.

Off the bat, that would in a way limit the interaction between very highly skilled players and low skilled players in terms of bashing, etc. It would also allow for a competitive fun atmosphere at every level of play. Why? Private and random galaxies don't do themselves any good in terms of ranking by hitting each other, for they are not competing against each other.

One of the assumptions I have made for this to be beneficial, is that random galaxies would act as small battle groups, hitting other random galaxies, etc. And, since the stronger the galaxy you are in is, the stronger your position will be, everyone will have the patience to teach the "newbs" how to play the game.

I just had this idea, and I'm brainstorming off it. I haven't played in a long time, but I based all that I've written on observations off the forums. Which may not be as informative as you may believe. If you think something is factually wrong, please correct it and try to build on it, if you can. Please contribute critically. ))

If you can comfort a tear, do so, but never agrieve someone innocent.
x-dANGEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2010, 10:11   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Private/Public galaxies = gold

I look at the top 5 galaxies and I see 2 private (3, 4) and 3 random galaxies (1, 2, 5). Taking a closer look at the top random and private galaxy, I count 0 top 100 planets in the random galaxy and only 2 top 200 planets. The best private galaxy on the other hand has 3 planets in the top 10 and 7 in the top 100 (the eighth planet is 104th).

Looks to me they can compete just fine.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2010, 10:18   #3
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

So you're saying that there shouldn't be separate rankings?

Unread 10 May 2010, 10:34   #4
Scott

Scott is a jewel in the roughScott is a jewel in the roughScott is a jewel in the rough

I quite like the idea. Only thing that pains me is the thought of having even more people being 'interviewed' at the EORC. The last EORC was dreadful, may as well been asking ryvita questions.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2010, 11:13   #5
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

The rankings page as it is serves little purpose; private galaxies are more than competitive and are definitely dominant. Splitting the rankings to two separate pages might make it more relevant, but I kind of like a shift away from galaxy rankings being quite so important - obviously people are still aware though.

Regarding bashing: unless you plan to hardcode that private galaxies can't hit random galaxies, this will do nothing to reduce bashing. And even if you did that, there'd still be bashing inside the two categories.
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2010, 11:32   #6
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

It's more about limiting bashing, I suppose.

The way I see it, it guarantees more interaction between people of close levels.

Instead of having a Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution among one category which involved the whole universe, you will sort of arrange another Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution at the low tier of the universe, which translates to more people having fun happy, and less people being bashed.

I'm against forbidding the two kinds of galaxies from hitting each other, though. But I think that should be made less profitable by finding the right balance of planets/random galaxy.

In order to simplify this a bit: If you're a level 1 player in some game, you really don't enjoy playing against a level 50 player in that same game. But a game against a level 10 player would seem like a fun challenge. Now when you limit the interaction between levels 1-30 and 31-50, instead of having the low tier start at level 5 (10% of 50) downwards for instance, it will start at level 3 (10% of 30) downwards.

Quote:
Looks to me they can compete just fine.
Not that I understand what your point is. I'm just guessing here with my reply. If you put into perspective how much time planets in private gals put into the game, they deserve a bit more than that, don't they? In a way, it is simply wrong to rank them together. It's like comparing a soccer team with 8 players who know each other against another with 30.

Unread 10 May 2010, 12:27   #7
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-dANGEr View Post
So you're saying that there shouldn't be separate rankings?
Indeed.

Quote:
Not that I understand what your point is. I'm just guessing here with my reply. If you put into perspective how much time planets in private gals put into the game, they deserve a bit more than that, don't they? In a way, it is simply wrong to rank them together. It's like comparing a soccer team with 8 players who know each other against another with 30.
People in private galaxies already get what they want: a small group of people they know they can depend on. Your analogy only holds if the soccer team of 30 consisted of midgets who'd never met each other before, and half of whom only play the second half of the game.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2010, 12:34   #8
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

They also rank themselves in their own category. Why not make it official?

Unread 10 May 2010, 12:49   #9
Zotnam
Over the moon
Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Sperm Wars Champion

Zotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant future

Quote:
They also rank themselves in their own category. Why not make it official?
Because ideally, you want some players to find random gals attractive. And for them to be found attractive, they need to compete against everyone else, not in their own "special rankings". Should we make a seperate ranking for planets in random gals too? Or alliance rankings with only people in random gals counting?

I think the random gals will be better quality overall next round, however this does not mean a random gal will win again.. This round it was nearly a given that 24 active planets can outscore 8 planets, even if its only thanks to xp and they still get roided regularly.

Planets.
Zik: 3rd(r30), 4th(r52), 7th(r27), 9th(r26), 31st(r51)
Ter: 3rd(r50), 4th(r53), 4th(r37), 5th(r31) 7th (r58)
Xan: 3rd(r36), 40th(r57) 54th(r33), 104th(r29)
Cat: 8th (r54), 9th(r48), 12th (r55), 20th(r32), 77th(r23), 103rd(r38), 150th(r34), 152nd(r24),
Etd: 14th(r28)

Those damn emp races..
Zotnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2010, 12:58   #10
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

1. splitting a universe with already too few players is not a good idea
2. there are good players in random gals (they find their fun there) and bad players in priv gals.
For me the priv/random system has worked quite well. Not sure next round will work though coz with the single targeting system you better plan defense to cover each others holes (nothing dirty here).
There's a need to encourage big players and alliances to hit each other rather than queuing on noobs and randoms. But I don't know what the solution can be.