User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 9 Jan 2006, 02:13   #1
Dictator2

Dictator2 can only hope to improve
To EACh its own Arbiter!!!

Hmm!! You know what is a GOOD idea: to have a "Political Status" column (a.k.a. notes)

Players could then easily keep track and have notes on each of the planets (i.e. [ALLIANCE] or 'DLR n00b' or 'has destroyed all my structures 17 times')

I admit I am not sure how much resources or coding will this require. But for next round or for recoding, could be done by giving us "empty boxes" IN THE GALAXY SCREEN, next to the scans section at the right, that can save (10-20 characters) info on the planets as you browse the universe.

In the future there is space for this feature to grow more complex and more helpful no doubt; but for now a space to record 2 or 3 words would be ACE.

Will in essence provide every player with an arbiter.

Last edited by Dictator2; 9 Jan 2006 at 09:41.
Dictator2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 08:55   #2
Spritfire

Spritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really nice
Re: To EACh its own Arbiter!!!

Box's with a chance to write in have usually given people a chance to cheat.

Atleast before.

But I think an ingame arbiter for smaller alliances would be nice. And I think we will see it to. ( read news on planetarion.com )
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 12:15   #3
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Lets imagine 4000 players. Thats 4000 players with a possible 4000 notes. This means 16,000,000 database entries. I think. Quite alot of bandwidth and DB space.

Then again, we would never reach that number, but its still a big load on the server.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 19:05   #4
Dictator2

Why, how is not secure? I did not know.

In any case, I do not mean an alliance arbiter, but a personal, but yeah writing those notes.

I did foresee the ‘load’ issue. I just thought that by now PA had the tools/power to implement such feature.
Yeh, I agree, the math goes:

4,000 players * 4,000 notes = 16,000,000 entries * 10 characters = 160M

although I am sure not everyone would keep a note on every single planet. In any case, I really have no clue whether this is doable or not.

Well, maybe with this recoding they can figure out something.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 22:17   #5
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy
Lets imagine 4000 players. Thats 4000 players with a possible 4000 notes. This means 16,000,000 database entries. I think. Quite alot of bandwidth and DB space.

Then again, we would never reach that number, but its still a big load on the server.
the journal didn't kill anything afaik.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 22:28   #6
god113
Ex-Player

god113 has a spectacular aura aboutgod113 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

If 4000 players felt they had things to say about 4000 other players, then that would be a worth while use of bandwidth and DB space
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 23:32   #7
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
the journal didn't kill anything afaik.
The journal is coded differently to how this would be.

However, you're probably more likely to be right than I am.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 08:31   #8
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
The journal is coded differently to how this would be.

However, you're probably more likely to be right than I am.
why is the journal that different? all the gy wants is the ability to associate text notes with a planet, which sounds very similar to the journal to me.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2006, 14:27   #9
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

so you want a small note next to the score on galaxy page?
I think it would be nice to have a lil post it next to planet names or a freinds list as someone mentioned before nothing worse than a planet exiling that you wanted some lil revenge on.
A freinds list would be cool coz i always get loadsa in game mail half the time i forget who the hell it was so if i had a freinds list it would make me life a lil easier.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2006, 18:08   #10
Dictator2

I simply want an arbiter, which I suggested could be done as easily as adding a box next to each planet in the Gal screen
Unread 18 Jan 2006, 21:11   #11
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

go program a tool of your own for that
or ask your alliance for it
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2006, 21:34   #12
Dictator2

he he, thats the thing Cypher, why shall alliances have a monopoly on arbiters and info??

And trust me, I would do it myself, I would have done it years ago, I simply don't have a clue how to do it.
Unread 19 Jan 2006, 03:08   #13
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

copy paste from history to journal ftw

i normally set up a journal entry of planets that attacked me and edit it as rd goes on that way i can easily keep track if someone has attacked me multiple times , its simple and it doesnt affect server bandwidth afaik

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2006, 10:00   #14
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictator2
he he, thats the thing Cypher, why shall alliances have a monopoly on arbiters and info??

And trust me, I would do it myself, I would have done it years ago, I simply don't have a clue how to do it.
because they make the arbiters for it and they add their info in it for that reason?

plus asking an alliance can't be hard:P
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2006, 13:49   #15
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo
copy paste from history to journal ftw

i normally set up a journal entry of planets that attacked me and edit it as rd goes on that way i can easily keep track if someone has attacked me multiple times , its simple and it doesnt affect server bandwidth afaik

Same.

Unread 19 Jan 2006, 14:06   #16
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

offline things like text files, and probably better, spreadsheets works really great too.
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2006, 17:46   #17
Dictator2

yeah, but the idea is precisely to simplify that, why the need for a word processor, why the need to change screens, etc?
Hey, is as easy as providing an empty box next to a planet, is it really that hard to understand or u people just play the devil's advocate role out of a kinetic impulse from years ago? Damn, I really think this is a great idea...

I really don't use the journal, I'll rather use Word, which I do, a LOT. Providing me with 'an arbiter' in the fashion I have proposed will change little how I play but will ALLOW me to keep track of my "incomming/outgoing history" and I might also add some info I can obtain on IRC... and since it will be an 'arbiter' Idon't have to spend much time copying and pasting or searching everytime I want to obtain/retrieve whatver info I can on an especific planet. I usually don't keep track of any ally/nick/hostile/friendly, etc, I only use word for scans and attacks, but I would SEE how it would HELP my game if I had such a tool.
Unread 19 Jan 2006, 19:51   #18
noah02
The Original Terran

Lets be really lazy lets live on a toilet with a shower over our heads

I got an hour til it ticks damnit i need something to do.

Unread 20 Jan 2006, 00:44   #19
Dictator2

no thank you
Unread 23 Jan 2006, 05:56   #20
Bromcrysal
We are but Men... ROCK!

Bromcrysal has a spectacular aura aboutBromcrysal has a spectacular aura aboutBromcrysal has a spectacular aura about

This seems like a good Idea, but why not make it part of the journal instead of galscreen. A third section of the journal could go like

Enter coordinates:__-__-__
Notes:

now this will lead to a lot of journal entries like :

11-22-33
This guy is a poop-head

But even that can be useful information. And if it's put in another section of journal, us click-happy noobs wouldn't accidentally delete the notes in the process of clearing the journal. Also if the entry is loaded in with the coordinates, I'm sure some simple code could be written that would put an asterisk or something next to the coordinates in the galaxy or galstatus screen, or the incoming-outgoing section of overview, that tells us, "Hey, you've already got notes on this guy." It would certainly help clear up all the bits of paper on my desk where I normally write this stuff down
Unread 23 Jan 2006, 06:21   #21
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

What he would like to do is have a little check box on the galaxy page where he could put a green check when a planet defended him and a red check when a planet attacked him. Then when he was crusing galaxies for targets he could say "Hey, that jerk attacked me, looks like a juicy target now. I'm so gonna pwn him. Muhahahahaha!!!!!"

But the other methods work better for me using the journal, history page, and notepad. Don't forget you can edit journal entries.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2006, 06:29   #22
Bromcrysal
We are but Men... ROCK!

Bromcrysal has a spectacular aura aboutBromcrysal has a spectacular aura aboutBromcrysal has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, true that there are other ways of taking these notes. it's just that I log on to PA from two different computers in my house. And invariably when I want to record something, my notebook is at the other computer... which is up two flights of stairs... and away from my coke...

I want more features, 'cause I'm a lazy bum. That's why I play PA instead of football
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 20:58   #23
Dictator2

Thank you, thank you
Unread 26 Jan 2006, 22:25   #24
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I was thinking of an alliance-related version of this, but I don't see it happening for single planets really.
Unread 1 Feb 2006, 18:04   #25
Dictator2

But Appoco, alliances don't need this AS MUCH as individual players... any decent alliance have already their arby and/or players dedicated to it.

If the problem is the 'load' that would add to the servers, then maybe u can put a limit on it, i.e: 100 entries of 10 characters each... per player

But, the idea is to have such an empty box next to each planet, just for quick reference.

Then, maybe, you could make alliances, able to read the notes of each of its members (in a voluntary basis perhaps, from each member) so as to make it possible for HC to analize/compile all of the collected intel in a separate 'official alliance arbiter' in-game or out-side the game
Unread 1 Feb 2006, 18:11   #26
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

The whole point is that the ingame system would be equal or superior to the average alliance's tools!
They wouldn't need an external website...
Unread 1 Feb 2006, 18:51   #27
Dictator2

Sounds like a plan, that would be the ideal
Unread 1 Feb 2006, 19:28   #28
Prawn
:o\

Prawn is on a distinguished road

When was the last time PA had 4000 players??? :P
Prawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2006, 19:54   #29
Dictator2

The idea was precisely that... a number which would be higher than what we currently have

:P