User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Jan 2003, 18:51   #1
NotLife
Supreme Being

NotLife is an unknown quantity at this point
[Counter Strike] How to decrease the ping

I have an ADSL connection, and always when I play I have a higher ping than the rest of the players. why?

Could someone help me out?
Or is this posted in the wrong section?

Me
NotLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 18:53   #2
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST is on a distinguished road
What version of windows are you running. When i upgraded, my ping seemed to fall, but i'm 56k, so i'm no great authority on ping
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 18:54   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: [Counter Strike] How to decrease the ping

Quote:
Originally posted by NotLife
I have an ADSL connection, and always when I play I have a higher ping than the rest of the players. why?

Check the physical location of the server.
Set the network settings (Modem/ADSL/cable/LAN) to the lowest... it will make packets smaller and will minimise the effects of packet loss.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 18:57   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
There'd be threads about this on the Counter-Strike forums methinks

http://www.forumplanet.com/counterstrike/

In general:
Close any programs running in the background
Lower the resolution to 800x600
Upgrade cpu/gfx if they're 'below par'

These will reduce the load on the proc as the game is being played, saves a few ms ping. Try tracert'ing the server, see if there's a lot of hops along the way, try to use servers based in your country (that don't involve the word 'UK2'), disable the XP firewall, etc, etc
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 18:59   #5
NotLife
Supreme Being

running Win XP

Me
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 19:03   #6
NotLife
Supreme Being

and how do i disable the XP firewall?

Me
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 19:06   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
  • Double-click My Network Places on the desktop
  • Click 'View Network Connections'
  • Right-click your ADSL connection and do Properties
  • Click the Advanced tab
  • Profit
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 19:11   #8
NotLife
Supreme Being

thanks, but it wasnt activated. mm posted on the CS forum

Me
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 20:33   #9
Inky.ink

changing resolution won't help your ping, most gfx cards work better when pushed to the limit.
check your rate settings, if your getting choke / loss change your cl_updaterate / cl_cmdrate settings (check using "net_graph 3"). don't play on UK2.
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 22:19   #10
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
What country do you live in.

What server are you trying to play on and what country is it in?
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 22:22   #11
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by Inky.ink
changing resolution won't help your ping, most gfx cards work better when pushed to the limit.
check your rate settings, if your getting choke / loss change your cl_updaterate / cl_cmdrate settings (check using "net_graph 3"). don't play on UK2.
Lower res will mean your framerate is more likely to be capped by your vsynch, hence meaning there's idle proc cycles to be used packing up packets and firing them off into the intraweb.
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 22:24   #12
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
www.speedguide.net has some decent patches
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 23:29   #13
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
www.speedguide.net has some decent patches
Yes, they own.
I've once used them on a mates computer and he went from 13kB/s to his max of 60kB/s.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2003, 01:11   #14
hinch
Banned

hinch is an unknown quantity at this point
stop playing on ****e servers.
set the burst rates for your adsl modem to max
edit your config.cfg located in
hldir/cstrike/
set maxrate to 8000
and updateratemax to 100

theres other things but i cant be arsed to look them up its aong time since ive cared i like my 10 ping
hinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2003, 01:15   #15
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by hinch
stop playing on ****e servers.
set the burst rates for your adsl modem to max
edit your config.cfg located in
hldir/cstrike/
set maxrate to 8000
and updateratemax to 100

theres other things but i cant be arsed to look them up its aong time since ive cared i like my 10 ping
Ook Ook

I know someone with some high-quality, reliable, fast clanservers for rent. Though as I've yet to shift any on behalf of this person I'm feeling a little low.
Unread 21 Jan 2003, 02:33   #16
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough
Re: [Counter Strike] How to decrease the ping

Quote:
Originally posted by NotLife

the majority of it is out of your control and is to do with your connection. u can install patches to make it work faster but it can only go so far.

personally i ping between 5 and 20 on the FA cs server without any tweaks installed and all default uprate etc settings in cs. People who 'know' about networking and such refuse to believe it has anything to do with my connection speed (1Mbit), but when i was on 512k my ping was 30+, i'm still on the same line with the same provider, so why would my ping decrease so drastically?