User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 11 Jan 2004, 21:51   #1
Tobe
Checkout Boy

Tobe is an unknown quantity at this point
maths?

intergral cot^4 x between pi/6 and 0 with explanation would be handy as i m doing p4 tomorrow and this came up in book and didnt know what the hell to do does cot^2 have a relationship with something
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 21:53   #2
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: maths?

get a TI83 silver edition, plug in cotangent^4 x between pi/6 (radians i take it) and 0.

not sure about the explenation, not doing p4 till summer i dont think.
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 21:55   #3
Tobe
Checkout Boy

i ve got a casio 7850 or something like that it wont let me plug in stuff like sin^2 but i m hoping sinsinx=sin^2 x
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 21:57   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobe
i ve got a casio 7850 or something like that it wont let me plug in stuff like sin^2 but i m hoping sinsinx=sin^2 x
How the hell can you be doing P4 and not understand trigonometric operations?

And even if you did just plug it in, you'd only get 1 mark from a probable 4 (or even 6)
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 21:59   #5
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

i take it you know what cotangent is....
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 22:00   #6
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

is your casio a graphical calc? if not, buy the ti83 silver (in fact, buy it anyway, you can put doom 1 on it!!!!)
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 22:03   #7
Tobe
Checkout Boy

yes it is a graphics calculator, **** you jakiri do it and stop wasting my time
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 22:06   #8
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hes trying to help but subtly hinting "learn basic maths".
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 22:06   #9
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

read a book, it should say (MEI ones are good, if yer collage doesn't provide them, buy a P4 book).
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 22:07   #10
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

don't let him cow you. ^^

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 22:09   #11
Tobe
Checkout Boy

its not basic maths **** off you gay
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 22:09   #12
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

i dont have a fecking clue about this, i'm only half way through P2.
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 22:12   #13
Tobe
Checkout Boy

(cot x)4 = (1-(sin x)2)2/(sin x)4
= (cosec x)4 - 2×(cosec x)2 + 1 (expanding)

Now, (cosec x)4 = (1 + (cot x)2)×(cosec x)2
= (cosec x)2 + (cosec x)2 × (cot x)2

So,
(cot x)4= (cosec x)2*cot x)2 - (cosec x)2 + 1
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 22:19   #14
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I don't know about your calculator but that would be wrong on mine (and most i assume)

sinsinx implies sin(sinx) to me, not sin²x which you want

just put in numbers to see what your calculator does
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 22:19   #15
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:
(cot x)4 = (1-(sin x)2)2/(sin x)4
= (cosec x)4 - 2×(cosec x)2 + 1 (expanding)

Now, (cosec x)4 = (1 + (cot x)2)×(cosec x)2
= (cosec x)2 + (cosec x)2 × (cot x)2

So,
(cot x)4= (cosec x)2*cot x)2 - (cosec x)2 + 1

http://www.nrich.maths.org.uk/mathsf...aams/q102.html

the paste doesnt show the superscripts of the pwoers

and youve missed out the last part

Zar
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 22:23   #16
Tobe
Checkout Boy

yeah i missed out the intergral was looking for an explanation of why sec^4 x = ..1-...