User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 26 Jun 2006, 12:48   #51
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [Football] Portugal vs Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I'd be more inclined to mark down the likes of stern john and augustine delgado in the non-world class striker department and say your defence is pretty useless. With the exception of snoop dog, who I have the greatest of respect for for the amount of effort he must put in being a professional rapper and a professional footballer at the same time.
Delgado's scored two (count them, TWO) goals in this world cup - the same number as world-class strikers such as Thierry Henry, Shevchenko and Ronaldo, and more goals than Peter Crouch. How is that not world-class
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 12:49   #52
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game^
A win is a win Jonny, isn't it always a sign of a good team that they are winning when playing extremely poorly? Id be ALOT more worried if we were playing superb and returning the results we are getting.
Not if they haven't played well for years in a meaingful game it's not.

On friendlies, we beat sweden 3-0 before the world cup. This no more means we're a better team than sweden than it means the moon is made of cheese.
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 12:50   #53
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
England 3-2 Argentina
We didn't deserve that win. Two goals right at the death in what had been a fairly balanced match. Now, I'm not complaining, but 5-1 Germany was a far far better performance. In fact, the first half of the Brazil match at the 2002 World Cup was probably a classier England display.
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 12:50   #54
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Delgado's scored two (count them, TWO) goals in this world cup - the same number as world-class strikers such as Thierry Henry, Shevchenko and Ronaldo, and more goals than Peter Crouch. How is that not world-class
And Miroslav Klose has scored four and ergo is as good as shevchenko and ronaldo put together! This also means he's infinity times better than michael owen and wayne rooney put together strangely enough
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 13:37   #55
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
If that russian had send Boularouz off right at the beginning when he kicked down Ronaldo, maybe things wouldn't have gone that much out of hand.
While it was a pretty stupid and unnecessary foul to make, it also wasn't worth a sending off. There have been much more vicious attacks than than one that didn't end up in someone having to be subbed off - Ronaldo still played very solid after the foul, including several trick shots, and he'll be over it within a day or two - just a bit of scraped skin and a bruise, nothing more.

I distinctly remember Robben getting kicked pretty much in the goddamn chest in the Portuguese penalty box, which the referee waved away as he blew the whistle and awarded a free kick against Kuijt for who knows what reason, because he wasn't doing anything wrong, as the replay showed.

Figo should have been sent off for his headbutt, and that yellow card he pushed onto Boulahrouz should never have been allowed as it happened right in front of the fourth official's nose. If I was Heitinga, I'd not have given the ball back to the Portuguese after that sort of shit either.

Regardless, we've had plenty of chances for the equalizer and should have made at least one of them. It's a shame that Van Basten chose for Kuijt this match, because unlike the first three, this was a match in which Van Nistelrooij would have been awesome, with a lot of play going on in the Portuguese penalty box. Regardless, we didn't score any goals and conceded one in a manner which was hilariously bad, so Portugal get to go through. As Van der Sar properly said: "We were the stronger team, they were the smarter."

Oh, and yeah, Robben is a goddamn diver who needs to cut that shit out.
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 13:44   #56
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Decos yellow card tackle is the most justified tackle in football history.

Seriously, you just DONT not pass the ball to the other team.

I fully support Deco and feel he should be nominated for "upkeeper of the fair play 2006" award.
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 13:46   #57
JonnyBGood
Banned

That dropkick on Robben was the highlight of the match for me personally. I didn't actually see it initially so the first time I saw it it was in slow motion replay. That said I felt portugal played the better football, what little there was of it, in the game.
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 13:51   #58
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Idler
Seriously, you just DONT not pass the ball to the other team.
In the same way you DON'T headbutt another player, get away with it, dive to get someone else sent off, and then refuse to kick the ball out when someone is lying on the pitch with an injury, or in some special sort of way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
That dropkick on Robben was the highlight of the match for me personally. I didn't actually see it initially so the first time I saw it it was in slow motion replay.
I think you and referee have seen the same version for the first time.
Quote:
That said I felt portugal played the better football, what little there was of it, in the game.
Our first half was absolutely dire, with the most simple passes across 4-5 metres not arriving properly. We started off a lot better in the second half, but then it quickly descended into something that was only vaguely related to football.
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 14:05   #59
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
In the same way you DON'T headbutt another player, get away with it, dive to get someone else sent off, and then refuse to kick the ball out when someone is lying on the pitch with an injury, or in some special sort of way?

I dont recall anyone human suddenly diving backwards in tremendous pain after being headbuttet in the nicest fashion available.. like.. he was barely near him.

One might also not want to forget how van der sar tried to elbow the poor portugese after taking a small hit. Or the tossing of deco... that was a nice one.

I am also fairly sure I was some first class diving from Holland aswell, so not worries, you all qualify for the oscar award.

Are you telling me you actually feel Holland wasnt being a bunch of bastards?

edit: besides.. not passing the ball is the worst thing you can possibly do in modern football.. Hope you are proud
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 14:08   #60
Game^

Game^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
We started off a lot better in the second half, but then it quickly descended into something that was only vaguely related to football.
Id bloody well hope you started better, they were a man down at the time.

Also Jonny, yes i agree were playing shocking, and yes we will more than likely get knocked out next round. However we are still there, and we still do have the opportunity to improve.

However whether that improvement comes is dependant on Mr Eriksson actually deciding on his best team, not his best players.
Game^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 14:15   #61
Game^

Game^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
edit: besides.. not passing the ball is the worst thing you can possibly do in modern football.. Hope you are proud
What nationality is Marc Overmars again?
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 14:25   #62
furball

Quote:
That goal was Kanu's fault - a player who had only recently arrived in the country from Inter. He simply wasn't aware of the expectation to pass the ball back to Sheffield United. Overmars just prodded the ball home and decided to wait and see what happened (although at best he receives the benefit of the doubt)

Don't forget that Wenger offered to replay the match. I doubt Portugal - Holland will be replayed, for health and safety reasons if nothing else.
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 14:39   #63
Game^

Quote:
That goal was Kanu's fault - a player who had only recently arrived in the country from Inter. He simply wasn't aware of the expectation to pass the ball back to Sheffield United. Overmars just prodded the ball home and decided to wait and see what happened (although at best he receives the benefit of the doubt)

Don't forget that Wenger offered to replay the match. I doubt Portugal - Holland will be replayed, for health and safety reasons if nothing else.
Kanu crossed the ball for Overmars who was at full tilt getting into the box for the pass. Kanu didnt exactly MAKE Overmars put the ball in the box now did he. I always wondered to be honest why everyone blamed Kanu for it, when in actual fact Overmars was the person who should of been blamed. Its the Dutch i tell ya, bad sports all round
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 14:54   #64
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

People keep saying Figo dived to get the player sent off, I don't however think he did. He does get an Arm/Elbow in the face, I don't think it was intentional and as such shouldnt have got a yellow card but the elbow was there
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 15:05   #65
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
We didn't deserve that win. Two goals right at the death in what had been a fairly balanced match. Now, I'm not complaining, but 5-1 Germany was a far far better performance. In fact, the first half of the Brazil match at the 2002 World Cup was probably a classier England display.
We were getting beat until a good substitution by Sven resulted in us going with 3 up top and the Argies didn't know how to cope with Crouch, Owen and Rooney all at once.

We deserved it purely because we employed plan B and plan B worked.
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 15:18   #66
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
I dont recall anyone human suddenly diving backwards in tremendous pain after being headbuttet in the nicest fashion available.. like.. he was barely near him.
Oh, I'll be first to agree that we weren't playing particularly nicely, and that Van Bommel made some great theatre there. Fact of the matter remains that it was a headbutt and the only punishment that it warrants is a direct red card. Period.

Quote:
not passing the ball is the worst thing you can possibly do in modern football.. Hope you are proud
I'm rolling my eyes so hard at this I can see my brain exploding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
He does get an Arm/Elbow in the face
Watch the replay, he doesn't. I've seen it several times, and at all times is Boulahrouz's arm well below Figo's face.

Edit: This whole discussion is pretty pointless at any rate. Neither Portugal nor Holland were playing particularly fair against each other. Portugal got away with some things that they shouldn't have, and we should have scored at least one goal if we wanted to carry on, which we didn't.

Last edited by Leshy; 26 Jun 2006 at 15:25.
Leshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 15:42   #67
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Watch the replay, he doesn't. I've seen it several times, and at all times is Boulahrouz's arm well below Figo's face.

I've watched it several times. He DID elbow Figo in the face. Also, has already been pointed out, Holland started the ****ing insanity. Boulahrouz should have been given a red for his challenge on Ronaldo. Things just escalated from there. Holland not giving the ball back (inciting Deco's professional foul as Portugal weren't ready for a Holland attack ... an attack which shouldn't have happened). Holland, and Robben inparticular, diving all over the ****ing shop. Figo's "clash of heads" (i refuse to call it a headbutt) is not acceptable but it is understandable.
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 15:55   #68
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
I've watched it several times. He DID elbow Figo in the face.
No, he didn't. If you watched the replay, you can clearly see Boulahrouz's arm somewhere in front of Figo's chest, as Figo suddenly grabs his face and throws himself to the ground.

Also, small point of interest - the refusal to return the ball to the Portuguese was well after the events you described. Figo's headbutt was not a result of Heitinga not giving the ball back, it was one of the causes for it.
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 17:26   #69
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I've watched it several times. He DID elbow Figo in the face. Also, has already been pointed out, Holland started the ****ing insanity. Boulahrouz should have been given a red for his challenge on Ronaldo. Things just escalated from there. Holland not giving the ball back (inciting Deco's professional foul as Portugal weren't ready for a Holland attack ... an attack which shouldn't have happened). Holland, and Robben inparticular, diving all over the ****ing shop. Figo's "clash of heads" (i refuse to call it a headbutt) is not acceptable but it is understandable.
no chance of an unbiased opinion on the match from dace then eh?

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 17:37   #70
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
no chance of an unbiased opinion on the match from dace then eh? ;)

How am i not unbiased?
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 18:35   #71
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
We've been rather mediocre since the start of this tournament, especially our midfield isn't what it should be so I can live with this early elimination.
I disagree!
The dutch team has been horrible for ages. Granted, only 2 losses with Van Basten in charge, but it never came close to worldclass football like it was in eg. '98 and 2000.

I rather enjoyed the Portugal - Holland match as a neutral spectator. Neither of them being my favourites. But lots of stuff going on

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 18:49   #72
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
How am i not unbiased?
Quote:
inciting Deco's professional foul as Portugal weren't ready for a Holland attack
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 20:08   #73
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
crap
it was a professional foul.

Holland should have given the ball back to portugal, that's what they should have done, and that's what everyone was thinking they would do. Instead, they launched an attack no-one was waiting for, thus Portugal was unprepared. Stopping that attack was essential to Portugal.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 21:18   #74
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
it was a professional foul.

Holland should have given the ball back to portugal, that's what they should have done, and that's what everyone was thinking they would do. Instead, they launched an attack no-one was waiting for, thus Portugal was unprepared. Stopping that attack was essential to Portugal.
That may have something to do with Figo's behaviour though. (The whole action vs. reaction thing.)

— Scorpio
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 21:22   #75
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

which part of "Deco committing a professional foul" isn't Deco's fault?
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 22:40   #76
Dace
so f*cking zen

Don't be such a prat Phang.
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 23:22   #77
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

1. Lolz Koen

2. The referee for me, did a reasonable job. He dished out cards, and the players outright DID NOT CARE. He strong armed, and they ignored him and kept putting in terrible challenges and bending the laws of the game. Look at the disagreement on the forums here; in retrospect - imagine trying to make those decisions in real time?

3. Deco probably should have gone for a professional foul, straight red.

4. I am LOVING the yellow cards for time wasting in this world cup. Its frustrating, and refs should stamp it out by dishing the cards - as they have done.

5. England will beat portugal

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 23:30   #78
Thefoundation

Thefoundation is infamous around these partsThefoundation is infamous around these parts

1 The dutch played better football.
2 Boulahrouz his kick was eneugh punishd with yellow..
3 Ronaldo is a crybaby, a fricking crybaby.
4 Figo acted a nice extra yellow card for boulhrouz.
5 The Dutch played the best football, Portugal played the smartest
6 The ref was a retard.
7 The kick on robben was a penalty
8 The dutch where unlucky, with a too-length short of the equelizer, and before that on the lat.
9 The protugese and dutch fougth hard for it.
10 I hate the protugese trainer, figo, ronaldo,
Thefoundation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 23:33   #79
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefoundation
with a too-length short of the equelizer, and before that on the lat.
k
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 09:49   #80
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
which part of "Deco committing a professional foul" isn't Deco's fault?
I meant the part about not giving the ball back after Figo's Oscar winning performance. I know I should have made it more clear

— Scorpio
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 12:11   #81
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I wouldnt have given the ball back to the Portuguese after their diving and timewasting either. Why show fair play to a team that has already proved it doesnt know the meaning of the term? If someone dives and they put the ball out of play or the game stops, why should you reward them for timewasting? Deco tried to injure someone with his challenge and should have been sent straight off and banned for extra matches for malicious intent.

Dirk Kuyt is ****ing rubbish. Seriously, he was pish against Argentina as well. Van Basten showed an arrogant proud side in first of all dropping Van Nistelrooy, and then not bringing him on despite the fact that Kuyt clearly wasnt up to it and they needed a goal. No way would the horse have missed that 1 on 1 later on in the game, no way.

Unread 30 Jun 2006, 13:14   #82
Confraria
Tusa Lusa

Confraria is an unknown quantity at this point

all this discussion is preety pointless... it wasn't a good game to see, but the ref has most of the blame as he lost control of the game when he didnt showed a red card on that foul over ronaldo (yes he's a crybaby but he's better than van persie and all holland's stars together). the fact is Portugal scored a goal and Holland didn't. If u don't score u never play better, as the whole objective of this game is to score goals. For the England-Portugal i really expect a better referee and a well played game, and the better to win!

Ascendancy: Anarchy. Elitism. And no f*cking crashing
Confraria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 13:52   #83
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

c. ronaldo is useless and doen't even come close to van Persie's skills.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 13:55   #84
JonnyBGood
Banned

Why is it that both robben and van persie run like mincing faggots? I've never see two men better able to convey their homosexuality using only their arm movements while running, it's quite astounding.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 16:09   #85
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
c. ronaldo is useless and doen't even come close to van Persie's skills.
Would this be the same van persie who is a bit part player at arsenal in 4th, and the same cristiano ronaldo who's been man utd's best midfielder for the last 2 seasons in 2nd?

Unread 30 Jun 2006, 17:01   #86
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
Would this be the same van persie who is a bit part player at arsenal in 4th, and the same cristiano ronaldo who's been man utd's best midfielder for the last 2 seasons in 2nd?
i never said Wenger, Ferguson and yourself had any knowledge about football.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 17:04   #87
furball

Quote:
Injuries have a nasty habit of stopping players from playing. Before his injury Van Persie was easily Arsenal's second best striker, and was in top form in the autumn of 2005.

Cristiano Ronaldo's a very good player, I'll give you that. How about we just settle at accepting that both are very bright young talents who will have a great future in the game?
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 17:39   #88
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Well i'm grouped with some successful losers there

Quote:
Injuries have a nasty habit of stopping players from playing. Before his injury Van Persie was easily Arsenal's second best striker, and was in top form in the autumn of 2005.

Cristiano Ronaldo's a very good player, I'll give you that. How about we just settle at accepting that both are very bright young talents who will have a great future in the game?
I dont think hes neccesarily a bad player, he just doesnt have the same spark as c. ronaldo. (please note i'm a liverpool fan). Im sure he has a future in the game, probably not at a club as big as arsenal though. Maybe if he stayed out of hotels he'd be ok hukhuk

Unread 30 Jun 2006, 18:56   #89
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

cristiano is different gravy to robin van persie.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 19:14   #90
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Meanwhile koen is one of football's most widely known and well-respected observers of the game. In fact I hear he's worshipped in argentina after picking out diego maradona to be one of the greatest footballers of all time before he was even born.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 19:16   #91
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

He also wants to do away with the offside rule. Maybe then Dirk Kuyt might be of some use.

Unread 30 Jun 2006, 19:17   #92
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
He also wants to do away with the offside rule. Maybe then Dirk Kuyt might be of some use.
nope, even then he would be shit.

holland deserved to lose for not using RVN, no matter if you love or hate the guy, he is damn good at what he does
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 23:16   #93
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
holland deserved to lose for not using RVN, no matter if you love or hate the guy, he is damn good at what he does

Looking like a horse?

(ohhh yeah baby ... ZING!)
Unread 1 Jul 2006, 02:57   #94
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
The problem with Van Nistelrooy is that he is an awesome finisher, but a fairly shit player.

If you play dominant football with a lot of action around the opponent's penalty box, Van Nistelrooy is one of the most dangerous players in the world to have up front, as he has the ability to turn the smallest chances into a goal.

If, however, you are not playing quite as dominant, and you need a man up front to get the ball, hold the ball and pass it off to another player (I think the sort of role England has Crouch in, although I could be wrong) - or possibly come up with some great play to create a chance, then Van Nistelrooy is utterly ****ing useless as he can't do that.

The first three games we had in the World Cup, were all of the second type. We simply do not have the experience and manpower yet at the moment, to dominate the game. What resulted, was us constantly losing the ball up front at Van Nistelrooy as he failed to keep possession long enough for the midfield to move in. Van Basten had to sub him off in every game because of that, even going as far as to bring on Van der Vaart in order to have more actual play up front.

I can entirely understand why Van Basten decided to start off with Kuyt against Portugal, as Kuyt is much more of a footballing striker than Van Nistelrooy is, and able to both keep ball possession up front, as well as set up other players and if necessary, collect the ball from midfield himself.

Almost ironically, however, and partially due to all the people getting sent off left and right, it turned into a match where we pinned down Portugal around their own penalty area (save for a few counters) and found us without a striker to actually convert that pressure into an actual goal. With having to spend two substitutions forcibly due to bookings (subbing a defender for a midfielder to take advantage of having an extra player on the pitch, then having to sub a midfielder for a defender again as Boulahrouz got sent off), the last choice basically was Kuyt for either Van Nistelrooy or Vennegoor of Hesselink. The latter had specifically been brought along for situations in which we direly need a targetman up front to get a goal in, so Van Basten made the only logical choice there.

It's a shame, as I have little to no doubt that Van Nistelrooy would have scored a goal in that particular match. But hey, that's not what happened, it turned into a huge display of unfair play with cards flying left and right where Portugal scored a goal - and we didn't. End of story.
Unread 1 Jul 2006, 10:15   #95
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

I love you Leshy (tm).
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2006, 14:42   #96
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
I love you Leshy (tm).

****in homo :(
Unread 1 Jul 2006, 14:49   #97
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

All good points Leshy, but your ignoring the idea of playing a second striker alongside him. At Man Utd he has been so deadly because he has rooney dropping deep and feeding him - look how many goals hes got in the premiership, year after year. True, he has only scored one goal from outside the box in all that time - but the horse is what the horse is - all the best teams have had goalscorers, you need him.

When holland play with wingers like robben and van persie who are well known for dropping in and out of games - they can be brilliant, and they can be woeful - its impossible to blame the lone forward for the shortcomings

Unread 1 Jul 2006, 16:06   #98
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
All good points Leshy, but your ignoring the idea of playing a second striker alongside him.
That's mainly the fault of our desire to play 4-3-3 with wingers, which sort of makes it impossible to play a second striker without giving up the midfield. Whether 4-3-3 is a good choice over 4-4-2 is an entirely different debate, which I'd rather not get into too deeply.

I will say, however, that it's somewhat amazing to see that some of the most internationally renowned strikers are currently failing in the Dutch national side. Van Nistelrooy and Makaay being two prime examples, because they play well in a system where they have someone around them, rather than with two wingers at their side at all times.
Quote:
When holland play with wingers like robben and van persie who are well known for dropping in and out of games - they can be brilliant, and they can be woeful - its impossible to blame the lone forward for the shortcomings
Except it is exactly what happens, because we've had or have strikers who do play well in such a system, such as Kluivert and the upcoming Huntelaar; and we expect whichever striker to be played to also do well in that scenario, which isn't really how it works.
Unread 1 Jul 2006, 16:22   #99
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

I dont think you can have the discussion without the discussion about 4-4-2 or 4-4-3. While the attacking wingers are attractive, the three central midfielders is sometimes overkill - did holland get enough from their center mids this tournament? I dont know.

Sometimes theres a tendancy to think 4-4-2 is too defensive, but it needent be - it can become a 4-2-4 when your attacking.

There is no question RvN is a world class striker - the champions league top scorer tables tell you so. But being the lone striker is a completely different position to being one of two.

Also, 3-5-2 ?

Unread 1 Jul 2006, 16:45   #100
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
I dont think you can have the discussion without the discussion about 4-4-2 or 4-4-3. While the attacking wingers are attractive, the three central midfielders is sometimes overkill - did holland get enough from their center mids this tournament? I dont know.
We didn't. They pretty much did their defensive stuff, but when on the offense, the gap between midfield and forwards simply was too big, meaning that as soon as we lost possession up front, we were immediately pushed back onto the defensive.

What'd I'd ideally like to see us play is more of a 4-3-3 formation whereby the controlling midfielder is also one of the central defenders. In ball possession, he can move forward onto midfield, giving us a 3-4-3 formation with an offensive midfielder close to the striker, such as Van der Vaart.

Alternatively, you set up 4-4-2 with Van der Vaart as one of the strikers, Robben and Van Persie as the two outer midfielders, and two controlling midfielders (Sneijder and I guess Van Bommel). If you don't have ball possession, you play 4-4-2, in possession you play 4-2-1-3 or something like that.