User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 6 Dec 2003, 23:34   #1
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place
why doesnt Red Dwarf make me laugh anymore

i think it might be that i dont smoke dope anymore but seeing as some of you have done a similar amount of growing up as me these last few years

do you think a sense of humour develops in the way ones pallet does to decent red wine?
madi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2003, 23:36   #2
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Re: why doesnt Red Dwarf make me laugh anymore

It's because we've seen them all before about 10 times. New commission is needed.
Unread 7 Dec 2003, 00:30   #3
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

It's partly because sense of humour develops (I'm sure when I was a LOT younger I thought Terry and June was hilarious) and partly because it's not 'new' any more. Likewise I can watch Fawlty Towers, and while I appreciate how funny it is, I don't find it funny any more (if that makes any sense at all).

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2003, 01:06   #4
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough

You only like red wine if you drink it so much you get past the nastyness. That's not maturing, its just gay!
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2003, 04:18   #5
Bob The Scutter
Annoying Robot Thing

Bob The Scutter is an unknown quantity at this point

Red Dwarf will always be 'funny'... whether its laughable aymore is another thing
fo shizzle ma nizzle: a bastardization of "fo' sheezy mah neezy" which is a bastardization of "for sure mah nigga" which is a bastdardization of "I concur with you whole heartedly my African american brother."
Bob The Scutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2003, 04:59   #6
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Scutter
Red Dwarf will always be 'funny'
Unread 7 Dec 2003, 05:03   #7
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Red Dwarf needs to be watched from series 1 onwards

A 'random' episode won't be as funny if you don't :/
Unread 7 Dec 2003, 05:38   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A sense of humour seems to be a bit like taste buds, but only because you can be over-exposed to certain tastes. And certain tastes overpower certain other things.

The Simpsons (while always being genius) is less laugh out loud funny these days (a) because I've seen every decent episode 2000 times, and (b) their "oddball" nature has been eclipsed by the likes of Family Guy, so it just doesn't seem as edgy anymore.

Red Dwarf (the good series I mean, 1-6) will always be classic. I can't really laugh anymore at it because I know all the jokes (and all the best ones we used to repeat ad nausea at school anyway). Upon reflection though, Red Dwarf's sci-fi / story / characters were underrated really.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2003, 12:37   #9
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Possibly because, its, well, shit?
Unread 7 Dec 2003, 12:40   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
No.
Unread 7 Dec 2003, 15:35   #11
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
No.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2003, 19:51   #12
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
Red Dwarf needs to be watched from series 1 onwards

A 'random' episode won't be as funny if you don't :/
couldnt agree more. all the episodes are linked one way or another (the gags make more sense due to this). so do what i did and buy red dwarf series 1,2,3 on dvd, its brialliant
Unread 7 Dec 2003, 19:56   #13
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
No.
Unread 7 Dec 2003, 23:43   #14
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

it's now on dutch tv aswell 0_o
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2003, 23:50   #15
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You get BBC1 and 2 in holland anyway, it was on ages ago there.
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 00:06   #16
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It was funny when I was 15 or so.

The jokes are all a bit predictable now, and my demands for humour have gone up. I now like sex jokes, and oddities.
Compare Red Dwarf to things like the Simpsons, to The Office, to League of Gentlemen.... things that make you really laugh out loud.. and you realise it's just a bit shit, really.
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 00:17   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
The jokes are all a bit predictable now, and my demands for humour have gone up.
Well, the jokes are obiously a bit predictable if you have heard them before. The newer series (7 & 8) were generally acknowledged as terrible.

As for comparing Red Dwarf with any other series, by all means. Compare the characterisation developed in say, an episode like Marooned with any other show and Red Dwarf compares favourably. Obviously I don't laugh out loud anymore from watching it - because I've seen every episode dozens of times. Same with Blackadder.

p.s. This week I am mainly laughing out loud at Sealab 2021.
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 00:33   #18
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Blackadder is much funnier than Red Dwarf.
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 01:43   #19
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
In comparison to what?
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 13:46   #20
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The Simpsons (while always being genius) is less laugh out loud funny these days (a) because I've seen every decent episode 2000 times, and (b) their "oddball" nature has been eclipsed by the likes of Family Guy, so it just doesn't seem as edgy anymore.
Bang on.

But i never really liked red dwarf. Craig Charles's existance kinda boned that one for me

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 13:49   #21
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: why doesnt Red Dwarf make me laugh anymore

I don't see why you would laugh at old comedy. Do you laugh at old jokes? The same principle applies.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 17:58   #22
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

Most comedy only fits the time it came from. Some stuff will always be funny - unfortunately RD doesnt quite fit the latter category.

In honesty, the first few seasons of RD were great, but by the end it was so predictable.

There's this comedy series I bought the DVD's of called "SPACED". According to the unofficial website for it (http://www.spaced-out.org.uk/) the guy who co-wrote it said he didnt want to do too many series (Ie a third series would be the last) because he didnt want the concept to grow stale. I think this is exactly what happened to RD, they should have killed it at season 5.

I still find the first two series not so much amusing but just classic.

I think what MM said also sums it up well too.
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 17:59   #23
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Yeah, but where the hell is the 3rd Series of Spaced?

Now that was bloody classic.
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 18:02   #24
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yeah, but where the hell is the 3rd Series of Spaced?

Now that was bloody classic.
Not sure if there will ever be one but heres hoping