User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Oct 2003, 20:18   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
become a student in the usa

and help to fight terrorism:

Quote:
WASHINGTON ? The government will charge foreign students $100 to pay for a tracking system created to prevent possible terrorists from using student visas to enter the country, a federal official said Wednesday.

Asa Hutchinson, an undersecretary of the Department of Homeland Security, said the onetime fee should generate more than $30 million annually for the Student and Exchange Visa Information Service.
Foreigners enrolled in a department-approved school must register with the service to enter the U.S. About 800,000 students at 8,000 schools are in the system
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...adlines-nation

im sorry, but meanwhile i start thinking ALL americans have turned insane.
Unread 23 Oct 2003, 20:21   #2
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: become a student in the usa

Land of the free*

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Oct 2003, 21:43   #3
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: become a student in the usa

This is pretty old. The tracking of those in the country on student visas was mandated as part of the The Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996. The system was supposed to operational by January of 1998, but due to delays it is only now coming on line. The problem then (and now) is that there was no way to know if someone in the US on a student visa was actually attending school. Since 9/11, people have cited this provision as an anti-terrorism measure, but I don't think that was the original intent.

In any case, what's the big deal? The fee is nominal and simply requires that schools send a yearly confirmation to the INS (or whatever it's called these days) saying that so-and-so who is in the country on a student visa is attending their school.

Granted, as an anti-terrorism measure, it's pretty silly--but that wasn't its intent.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Oct 2003, 22:22   #4
Azof
Teh "One"

Azof is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
and help to fight terrorism:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...adlines-nation

im sorry, but meanwhile i start thinking ALL americans have turned insane.
I''ve stopped taking any* of your posts seriously as you see every act of the US government as "insane" "ridiculous" or "dumb" etc. I know you're anti-american but at least find better things to bash.

*Ok, maybe not that absolute
If ignorance is bliss.....
Then why isn't the world a happier place?
Azof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Oct 2003, 22:25   #5
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't have to come here you know.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Oct 2003, 22:28   #6
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azof
I''ve stopped taking any* of your posts seriously as you see every act of the US government as "insane" "ridiculous" or "dumb" etc. I know you're anti-american but at least find better things to bash.

*Ok, maybe not that absolute
no, no, there was something bush did i agreed with. i forgot what it was though, but there was something. that did even surprise me.
and just today i tryed to defend bush for his economical policy (well, i still think his whole tax-reform is somewhat stupid, but we discussed about if bush alone was to blame for the current budget-deficit of the us. clinton did some really stupid things aswell.)
Unread 23 Oct 2003, 22:30   #7
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
You don't have to come here you know.
i wont, you can be sure of that. ive heared more than enough stories from people who did go to the us.
Unread 23 Oct 2003, 22:34   #8
Intrepid00

So why are you bitching or give a shit?
Unread 23 Oct 2003, 23:25   #9
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Would you bitch if you saw a huge asteroid heading for Earth with people living on it? I mean, surely they can plot whatever course they want, can't they? It's their asteroid.

Things do not happen in isolation.
Unread 23 Oct 2003, 23:34   #10
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

HAHAHA
This makes America comedy central. (at not with...)
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Oct 2003, 23:51   #11
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
So why are you bitching or give a shit?
that is indeed a good question, why do i care at all about what happens to the us? i should just ignore the whole problem for the future.
Unread 24 Oct 2003, 00:09   #12
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
that is indeed a good question, why do i care at all about what happens to the us? i should just ignore the whole problem for the future.
But you won't.

You'll be back next week with a link to an article about how Bush ties his left shoe before his right, or something equally sinister.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 24 Oct 2003, 00:15   #13
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
This is pretty old. The tracking of those in the country on student visas was mandated as part of the The Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996. The system was supposed to operational by January of 1998, but due to delays it is only now coming on line. The problem then (and now) is that there was no way to know if someone in the US on a student visa was actually attending school. Since 9/11, people have cited this provision as an anti-terrorism measure, but I don't think that was the original intent.

In any case, what's the big deal? The fee is nominal and simply requires that schools send a yearly confirmation to the INS (or whatever it's called these days) saying that so-and-so who is in the country on a student visa is attending their school.

Granted, as an anti-terrorism measure, it's pretty silly--but that wasn't its intent.
Do you disagree with ANYTHING the Bush adminstration have done? Or are in the process of doing :/
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2003, 00:32   #14
wu_trax

Quote:
But you won't.

You'll be back next week with a link to an article about how Bush ties his left shoe before his right, or something equally sinister.
i promise, i will attempt to ignore everything that doesnt affect me. so, if you want to live in a paranoid police state thats fine with me.
but if there is a foreign affair bush ruins or bush finds yet another way to ruin your economy ill let you know
Unread 24 Oct 2003, 00:34   #15
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super
Do you disagree with ANYTHING the Bush adminstration have done? Or are in the process of doing :/
i guess its just normal that people try to defend their country from from freign critics.
i usually do the same thing , cant stop it
Unread 24 Oct 2003, 01:31   #16
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super
The Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 was signed by Bill Clinton. But hey, don't let any facts get in the way of a good anti-Bush rant.
Unread 24 Oct 2003, 02:15   #17
Intrepid00

Quote:
i promise, i will attempt to ignore everything that doesnt affect me. so, if you want to live in a paranoid police state thats fine with me.
but if there is a foreign affair bush ruins or bush finds yet another way to ruin your economy ill let you know
This isn't a foriegn affair though. Its domestic.
Unread 24 Oct 2003, 11:41   #18
wu_trax

Quote:
But hey, don't let any facts get in the way of a good anti-Bush rant.
now, thats the spirit
Unread 24 Oct 2003, 11:48   #19
Idler

Idler is a jewel in the roughIdler is a jewel in the roughIdler is a jewel in the rough

"So that the left hand knows what the right hand says"

I do hope I wasnt the only one who saw that at letterman a while back
Idler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2003, 11:50   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
HAHAHA
This makes America comedy central. (at not with...)
What, attempting to verify that foreign students are actually students, so they're not illegally using the student visa?

Am I the only one here from europe who doesn't have a problem with this idea?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2003, 11:59   #21
Torz
Up yours

Torz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud of

sounds reasonable to me
Torz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2003, 12:01   #22
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i dont either, once you have all the facts, it actually makes sense that they are making sure that they arent just getting these ppl over there, doing nothing
it would be pretty silly as an anti terrorism defence though
Unread 24 Oct 2003, 12:03   #23
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
What, attempting to verify that foreign students are actually students, so they're not illegally using the student visa?

Am I the only one here from europe who doesn't have a problem with this idea?
No.
But why do they call it "terrorist prevention", and not "immigrant control" then?
Well?
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2003, 12:07   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
No.
But why do they call it "terrorist prevention", and not "immigrant control" then?
Well?
Because it's the bush administration, and it will get people going 'WOW THEY'RE REALLY AGAINST TERROR VOTE FOR HIM!'
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2003, 12:12   #25
Idler

Idler is a jewel in the roughIdler is a jewel in the roughIdler is a jewel in the rough

http://www.arnoldgovernor.net/

"I come from Austria, a socialist country. There you can hear 18-year-olds talking about their pension. . . . Individualism is incompatible with socialism. I felt I had to come to America where the government wasn't always breathing down your neck or standing on your shoes."

yes..ofcourse

Regarding Proposition 13: "I told Warren if he mentioned Proposition 13 one more time, he has to do 500 sit-ups."

and so on

GREAT GUY!
Idler is offline   Reply With Quote