User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 Oct 2003, 20:54   #1
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Ahvenanmaa/Åland - minorities...

So, the autonomous part of Finland, Ahvenanmaa, wich was given to FInland (instead of Sweden) by the preceeder of the UN after the first World War, have now found their own national identity. Ridiculous. Annoying little ****wits.

Backgrounds. They are autonomous. Their official language is Swedish. They do not need to study Finnish. Ahvenanmaa is a demilitarized zone, hence no Finnish military forces whatsoever present. They have their exceptions in the Finnish constitution, and they have their own police and justice system. Hence, they are pretty much equal to any way to the Finns. All Finns are obligated to study a certain amount of Swedish in school, hence Swedish is Finland's second official language. Ahvenanmaa has no real national identity of their own, they are just "something between Finland and Sweden" (wich both have a "history" and some "culture" and "identity"). Many say that Ahvenanmaa and it's people (and Finnoswedes in general) are the best treaten minority in the world.

So, this new right-front "Independency Party" of theirs... They are afraid of a situation like in the turn of the 19th and 20th century in Finland (when Finland was autonomous part of Russia - we had our own rights like the Ahvenanmaa has now - pretty much similar to then, except for one exception - Russians didn't study Finnish) when Russia started forcing their culture over ours, making Russia official language, sending military forces to Finland, moving Finnish military forces to Russia, et cetera. Hence, they have started a minor, rapidly growing, yapping for their independency.

It's so ****ing ridiculous. They are basically better treaten than Finns (point studying Swedish, wich is, as it is obligatory, very shit), yet they whinge. Spineless bastards.

The old "rules" should be broken and Ahvenenmaa should be taken by Finnish military (not much, but enough to seize a few farmers and a port). ****ing imbesils.

I don't know why I wrote this here. Maybe I wanted some discussion on treatment of the minorities otherwhere in the world.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2003, 21:08   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Ahvenanmaa/Åland - minorities...

'Right to Self-Determination'

Why don't you want them to be independent?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2003, 21:24   #3
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Let them have their independence, it's not like they'd be able to survive on their own.

Muahahahahaha!!!!!!
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2003, 21:26   #4
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Ahvenanmaa/Åland - minorities...

You should just announce that you're going to give them back to Sweden. That will either silence them or get rid of them--either way, problem solved!
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2003, 21:54   #5
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It'd be pretty funny if they got their independence only to join the EU and become part of the same overall state heh. Personally though I do support the right to self-determination. People can be idiots on their own time. There are far more valid claims for independence in the world though, notably that of the Basques with a very different culture, history and language.
Unread 21 Oct 2003, 22:11   #6
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Just invade and oppress them (or let the US do it)

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2003, 22:57   #7
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past

To me the only reasonable "claim to independance" is a desire to be independant. That should be enough. If the Intependant Party of Åland (no way am I calling it Ahavemanna or whatever) wins any elections let them be independant. After all, its not like they have any natural resources (excpet Tax-Free Alchohol on the ferries).
Unread 21 Oct 2003, 23:11   #8
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga
To me the only reasonable "claim to independance" is a desire to be independant. That should be enough. If the Intependant Party of Åland (no way am I calling it Ahavemanna or whatever) wins any elections let them be independant. After all, its not like they have any natural resources (excpet Tax-Free Alchohol on the ferries).
You have an unconventional view on natural resources.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2003, 23:19   #9
Bunga
I'm not a poet

They are the only ferries in the entire EU area which can sell tax free alchohol. It is *SO* a natural resource.
Unread 22 Oct 2003, 10:23   #10
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga

It is spelled AHVENANMAA YOU SPINELESS SWEDISH SPEAKING....

Oh. No racism clause. Sorry.

A desire to be independent is harshly enough, it's funny enough they have actually founded a ****ing right-wing independency party. THEY HAVE NO OWN CULTURE. THEY have absolutely no national identity. They are just a pain-in-arse.

Perhaps you Swedes would be willing to purchase the Island for a suitable price? We'll say, some fifteen million euros and we have a deal, aight?

Vaio, perhaps we should, start an Ahvenanmaa - Terrorist Island movement here in the forums, and try have the american authorities notice it. Perhaps it would result in an invasion. I think the Ahvenanmaa truly needs some heavy duty military presense.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Unread 22 Oct 2003, 10:23   #11
Tietäjä
Good Son

Besides, we can get cheap alcohol from Estonia.

Even when they become EU members.
Unread 22 Oct 2003, 10:26   #12
Idler

Idler is a jewel in the roughIdler is a jewel in the roughIdler is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
Besides, we can get cheap alcohol from Estonia.

Even when they become EU members.
shame it makes you blind and is highly dodgy in every way
Idler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2003, 13:06   #13
Tietäjä
Good Son

Doesn't.

Unless you buy it from the shady shops or from the streets. If you know your way around, you'll maintain your sight.
Unread 22 Oct 2003, 18:17   #14
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Yeah but it's not like its as cheap to take the ferry to Estonia as it is for a round trip of Kapellskär - Mariehamn - Small port on Finland - Mariehamn - Kapellskär. Plus I'm not going to Estonia, one of my friends was kidnapped there a few years back. Stupid idiots who took him were incompetent though, so he escaped.

And 15 million euros is a bit expensive, don't you think? I already have just about everything I want on Åland already... we just have to get the frikking house built.
Unread 23 Oct 2003, 10:19   #15
Tietäjä
Good Son

Shit luck getting kidnapped in Estonia, way, I've been to Moscow several times and I've never even been mugged (maybe that's because I look like a russian criminal, hence I'm considered "inside", khih).

Ferries to Estonia cost around 5 euros. If you want a cheap quick visit. Dunno about you Swedes then.

You live in Åland? Don't **** with me? You are one of those (incompetant is a good word) people who don't speak Finnish but are *roughly* Finnish?
Unread 23 Oct 2003, 15:06   #16
Bunga
I'm not a poet

No my dad's unlce or something lived there, as his family emmigrated from Finland to Åland and then Sweden slowly over the past century or so, and when he died he left a huge plot of land to dad. Of course given Åland's idiotic laws concerning immigration and owning land without living on Åland, we were only allowed to keep a quarter of it and we are in the process of building a nice summerhouse there.

So I'm maybe 1 / 64 Finnish, if that makes you happy.