User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 05:34   #1
Pinkerton
doo doo dah

Pinkerton can only hope to improve
Combining pages.

Having the fleet page combined with the mission page would be nice.
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 09:01   #2
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Combining pages.

If I could have one page back fomr the old days, it would be the old style missions page, being able to luanch 3 fleets at the same time etc was much better timewise.
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 09:49   #3
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Having the fleet page combined with the mission page would be nice.
i gather pinkerton is also getting at the ability to transfer ships between fleets and launch them on the same page. maybe like todays fleet page with buttons for launching the fleet under each individual fleet??
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 16:46   #4
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

why is there a fleet and a mission page anyway?
Merge them

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 20:03   #5
aceshot
PA Support - Grafknd

aceshot is an unknown quantity at this point

ummz, to liven up the game maybe?!?!
many people coming home drunk from parties, and launching wrong fleets places, and merging fleets together...oopsy etc...

Having two pages pwns tbh.

Makes it a little more realistic. i mean if u played an rpg game, and had to transfer fleets from one bay to another, would you see those at the same time? No!

So...in theory having the fleet page and the mission not only saves that but also can save download time.

#afk (home of the afkness)
#pa - community channel
Unread 18 Dec 2004, 10:01   #6
Vencedor

Vencedor has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: [Discuss] Combining pages.

I think the pages should be merged...

Then, rename the page to something like "Fleet Command"
So it covers both moving of ships and giving missions

2: Kane of Earth II 3: Caution of The Death Drop!
4: Gencore of Tyrian 5: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian^
6: Gencore of ^Tyrian II^ 7: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian II^
8: Caution of the Death Drop - From round 3 9b: SEE R3
9: Vencedor of todos 9.5: . = Kithal = . |_ ö v Ê r . of . Ë ¦ ÿ $ é . = Jadoor = .
10: Yalvon of Hunderi 11: Kithal of Jadoor
12: Vencedor of Todos 12 Speed#1: I cant think of a name for this rnd (rank 125)

Last edited by Vencedor; 18 Dec 2004 at 10:08.
Unread 18 Dec 2004, 11:50   #7
Slowfinger
Registered Abuser

Slowfinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Merging the pages would make it easier for all.

Allowing multiple launches would make it easier for all.

Add a checkbox to the launch tabs though

r16 - 82nd.
r17+ Sabbatical.
r43 - the temptation was too great.
Unread 18 Dec 2004, 12:15   #8
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I was led to believe that the splitting had a lot to do with load issues, its not something which is probally a problem atm but if PA ever does start to make a turn around it does potentially become a problem with a single page being called so many times. Noth these pages are fairly popular pages and while split they can be load balanced to one server is not being overloaded, combined this would obviously not be as simple. As such we could see the pages merged and then have to be unmerged again later.

So i'm not really sure i see the benifit of merging these pages, although i do agree with Forest that we should eb abel to issue more than one fleet command at once. Oh and maybe a few more ship movement boxes would be good as 4 can sometimes be a little restrictive
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
Unread 18 Dec 2004, 13:58   #9
Vencedor

Vencedor has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
I was led to believe that the splitting had a lot to do with load issues, its not something which is probally a problem atm but if PA ever does start to make a turn around it does potentially become a problem with a single page being called so many times. Noth these pages are fairly popular pages and while split they can be load balanced to one server is not being overloaded, combined this would obviously not be as simple. As such we could see the pages merged and then have to be unmerged again later.

So i'm not really sure i see the benifit of merging these pages, although i do agree with Forest that we should eb abel to issue more than one fleet command at once. Oh and maybe a few more ship movement boxes would be good as 4 can sometimes be a little restrictive
Yes I didn't think of that
Your probably right Wakey

Also, I agree, more ship moving boxes on the Fleets page...
And make it process them in order.
So I could like do
Move ALL SHIPS from BASE to FLEET 1
Move HARPY 99999 from FLEET 1 to BASE
and it wouldn't just do nothing cuz the harpy's aren't in fleet 1, aparently, even tho the command should be processed and then they would be there
Get it?

2: Kane of Earth II 3: Caution of The Death Drop!
4: Gencore of Tyrian 5: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian^
6: Gencore of ^Tyrian II^ 7: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian II^
8: Caution of the Death Drop - From round 3 9b: SEE R3
9: Vencedor of todos 9.5: . = Kithal = . |_ ö v Ê r . of . Ë ¦ ÿ $ é . = Jadoor = .
10: Yalvon of Hunderi 11: Kithal of Jadoor
12: Vencedor of Todos 12 Speed#1: I cant think of a name for this rnd (rank 125)
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 13:31   #10
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

going to check with spinner on the reason for seperate pages

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 15:22   #11
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

Seperate pages came in earlier due to several things.
1: A LOT of info to display, so a much bigger page
2: Code-wise it is cleaner to seperate them, as they do entirely different things
3: In the old days, load was an issue on it (not been an issue since we moved to mod_perl though)

I do not think we will merge them.
However, as it said here, launching multiple fleets can be arranged, as can several more move-slots if desired.

When it comes to processing the move-orders, hm, I'll check up on it. It certainly would increase load, as it would need to reload fleet data between each operations to make sure everything is correct...but I'll have a look.
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 15:24   #12
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I think thats a decline but we will look at other ways of improving the missions interface

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Closed Thread