User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 2 Mar 2004, 22:06   #1
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
planetarion (3rd party) clients

pros
-lowers bandwidth costs at jolt
-lowers bandwidth required by people at home
-makes it harder to block pa - possibly avoides webcache/filtering
-makes security easier as only recognised commands can be used, rather than raising the possibility of post methods which go places they shouldn't.
-allows customisability
-reduces system load as only have to process socket strings, rather than constructing html pages
-allows for features such as saving scans locally and integration with alliance sites

cons
-adds more coding

myths
-<Karmulian> mist - no external clients for security reasons - with so many bots developed while planetsrion's been running html pages, how are external clients less secure?

so, in short. can pa allow external clients please
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 22:21   #2
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
Re: planetarion (3rd party) clients

Simple answer, No.

Long answer, No, a) due to the extra work involved and b) Planetarion is a WEB BASED game, so having a client, would take it away from the web for the most part. c) things could still be abused, even more so once you've sniffed the command set.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 22:27   #3
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

ooh, oh joy, I look forward to make one version for Windows, one for Linux, one for BSD, one for Mobile phones running Java....ah, just make it open-srouce, right?
Hehe...no way matey...and have to push out a new patch every time a problem is found...ohoi patchwork.

I have been making games since 1993, and trust me, it is a real <insert norty word> to support platforms, to make sure all compilers etc are right, etc etc.
And it completely removes ALL current coders from PA, as we are not the right people for the job... I think that kind of explains why (-:
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 22:37   #4
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit
Long answer, No, a) due to the extra work involved and b) Planetarion is a WEB BASED game, so having a client, would take it away from the web for the most part. c) things could still be abused, even more so once you've sniffed the command set.
a) don't know php, so correct me if i'm wrong, but i'd hope there's not a lot of effort needed to impliment a sockets interface in it. other than that, all the code would be same as the pages

b)the client will still need the internet to connect... not sure why moving away from browsers would be such a terrible thing

c) how are people supposed to write clients without the command set? i fail to see how a command set that does exactly the same as the web pages will could be abused any more

spinner:
the 3rd party was there for a reason. there are a lot of coders in the community etc

-mist
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 22:51   #5
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

a - yes theres sockets, but i fail to see how that'll help - it would need a server software thing writing of its own, or use the webpages and re-interpret (thus defeating the b/w saving point)

b - yes, but the game is a BROWSER game, not requiring anything special to play.

c - erm, well, if ppl can exploit the webpages, i'm sure someone would find a way to exploit the system (bots anyone) thus no its not being done.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 22:52   #6
Karmulian
Get Stuffed

Karmulian is on a distinguished road

if you find out the command set you can submit commands in irregular ways , its also then possible to emulate them and remove certain key parts
Karmulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 22:53   #7
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

The part about 3rd party is not my only point.
We cant wait for 3rd party coders to fix bugs etc.
And you would have a much more complicated setup to keep all versions even etc...

And what about coding The Server? Which would have to do all connection handeling etc, stuff apache has spent years on getting good..no thanks....no point in making PA 50 times more complicated and bugged.
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 22:57   #8
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Anyways, got a beta to run, hf (-:
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 23:28   #9
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: planetarion (3rd party) clients

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
pros
-lowers bandwidth costs at jolt
-lowers bandwidth required by people at home
-reduces system load as only have to process socket strings, rather than constructing html pages
/me makes perennial plea for text-only pages option.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 09:37   #10
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

yeah, nice, with a dwindling player base, make the game more exclusive by requiring software to play it.

Dead intelligent that.....

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 10:55   #11
mist
Jolt's best friend

text only would be nice

not sure what you mean about requiring software to play, this was intended as an altarnative to the web pages - not to supplant them

-mist