User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 May 2004, 19:30   #1
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Round 11, Changelog

Posted by Spinner on 2004-05-14 10:05:25

As mentioned before, there are some changes in the new coming round.
Beta-testing has started, and it seems to be going very well.
Many thanks to Syn_Sid for his work on the brand new stats on all ships, we will release these as soon as they are finished enough to be worth handing out.

The changes so far include (but are not limited to):

- Vacation time has been implemented
- No self-delete while under attack (considering removing the Delete button again alltogether due to sore loosers)
- New ships added (48 ships in the game now, 12 per race)
- New classes created (Fighter, Corvette, Frigate, Destroyer, Cruiser, Battleship)
- All races have 2 different classes of pods
- Production / Fleets / Military updated with new additions
- Donation hole has been fixed, you may no longer abuse the fund max limit, which has now been set to 75.000.000 res alltogether
- Launch_tbl now updated by ticker, not by missions-page, so the launches-ranking is more accurate.
- Traveltime is now class-based, +0 tick for FI+CO, +1 for FR & DE, +2 for CR+BS
- A new resource-stealing covert op is in place, this time targetting the GALAXY FUND
- The MoD can now delete the posts of former members of the galaxy too, not just current members
- Alliance Size is now restricted to 75 members
- The travel-time bug that could occur when fleets returned from combat has been fixed
- A Unit-scan will now reveal Xan's cloaked ships
- There is now also a dump-file for the allilances, pretty much the same list as the universe page holds
- Salvage upped from 20 to 30 %
- Various bugfixes related to the new ships and classes
- All ships have new stats!
- Fixed the duplicate fleetnames bug, AGAIN
- Free accounts no longer see the galaxy inc
- Cluster ETA has been implemented (-1 eta for in-cluster defense, not cumulative with Alliance-ETA-bonus)
- message defenders to recall now has ETA-setting (so you can specify that the defending fleets with i.e. ETA 4 will get the message to recall)
- Unit and Fleet scans now have a little random "interference"

I've seen reactions on several different old threads. I'm interested in what people think.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2004, 19:41   #2
Gerbie
pe0n

Re: Round 11, Changelog

Quote:
this is good against blocking
Quote:
- No self-delete while under attack (considering removing the Delete button again alltogether due to sore loosers)
I'd like deletion with a three day delay, so the roids can be redestributed through the universe.
Quote:
- New classes created (Fighter, Corvette, Frigate, Destroyer, Cruiser, Battleship)
- Donation hole has been fixed, you may no longer abuse the fund max limit, which has now been set to 75.000.000 res alltogether
- Launch_tbl now updated by ticker, not by missions-page, so the launches-ranking is more accurate.
- Traveltime is now class-based, +0 tick for FI+CO, +1 for FR & DE, +2 for CR+BS
This looks better then the old mixing of eta's (cr and bs with fr/de eta's).[quote]
- A new resource-stealing covert op is in place, this time targetting the GALAXY FUND[/quote ]
This sounds like fun
Quote:
- The MoD can now delete the posts of former members of the galaxy too, not just current members
You must mean MoC here i guess.
Quote:
- The travel-time bug that could occur when fleets returned from combat has been fixed
- There is now also a dump-file for the allilances, pretty much the same list as the universe page holds
BAD
Quote:
- Cluster ETA has been implemented (-1 eta for in-cluster defense, not cumulative with Alliance-ETA-bonus)
This might attacking harder and might promote co-operataion between alliances. But it does add something to the game.
Quote:
- message defenders to recall now has ETA-setting (so you can specify that the defending fleets with i.e. ETA 4 will get the message to recall)
Is it possible to scan multiple times to average this effect out (or have allies make other scans to compare)? Has any beta tester figured out the standard deviation yet?[quote]
Unread 14 May 2004, 19:41   #3
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Bad, for reasons ive stated all too often

Quote:
Too high

Quote:
Seeing as we dont get points for defending id have liked to see the attackers salvage increased slightly also to make defending a little more rewarding

Quote:
Rubbish, we may as well not bother with free accounst and have random planets who have basically no ships and lots fo roids for us all to farm

Quote:
Never been a fan of clusters, always get the impression the only real benift comes to galaxies with big alliance links and that alliance is the dominate one in the cluster, otherwise your basically a farm galaxy

Quote:
Good scanning is a little too simple as it is

Quote:
Kind of like this, Xan's do appear to be pretty powerful with the unknown factor, while they still have this as you dont know whats been sent atleast you can now get an idea of what they have to send

Quote:
- A new resource-stealing covert op is in place, this time targetting the GALAXY FUND
Not sure i like this. depends how its omplimented ofc but could be pretty annoying

Quote:
First bit fine, second bit not. If players dont wish to play its better they remove their account than leave it and then cost the galaxy a fortune to get rid of the inactive account
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2004, 22:19   #4
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

Keep in mind, these changes are still being both discussed and tested, and there will be several updates / changes / removals from this list as a result.
So dont judge it all just yet, it was meant to be "information" so you know what we are working on etc.
There will be public beta soon, so you can try and see for yourself as well.
So dont take the list as a DEFINATE list, it'll change with feedback and testing results.
Unread 14 May 2004, 22:20   #5
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

Oh, and did I forget to mention that we are strongly considering going 100% random again?
Unread 14 May 2004, 22:22   #6
Gerbie
pe0n

\o/
Unread 14 May 2004, 22:47   #7
CrazyMike

CrazyMike is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner
Oh, and did I forget to mention that we are strongly considering going 100% random again?
Dont think id pay for a game were i couldnt play in the same gal with at least some people i know well.

Why not have partially random gals?

Say like 20% random, so we can choose 8 players for gal and have 2 random, this would benefit new players massively as it would give them the chance to reap the benefits of a well organised galaxy. Ive played random in a few rounds, its ok but not as fun.

CrazyMike
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2004, 23:13   #8
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Controversial as always, random VS private, but one thing is for sure, random rounds make the game interesting for a longer time. But the random galaxies is also why we made sure free accounts could see gal-status, as it puts a decent stop to free-planet spying.
I agree, it is very different to play random gals, some prefer it and some do not.
10.5 was private, so far it seems r11 will be random, doesnt have to be the same every round.
Wether you pay or not is up to you ofc, no doubt.
And every time there is a number of
"I refuse to pay if it is private" & "I refuse to pay if it is not". Last poll shows something like a good 50-50 split, so only fair to do a private game some times, and a random game sometimes.
But keep in mind, it is a good chance for new players to play alongside older veterans, and we do need that recruitment. And if you worry that new players wont upgrade and so cant be much help without gal-status, well, convince them and help them see the light (-:
Unread 14 May 2004, 23:20   #9
_o0o_
ostensibly Obscure oddity

_o0o_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Random is fine. However, are their any plans of doing the packs / buddy combos as many others have suggested time and time again? You still won't know what gal you will end up in, but you and at least one friend could "share the ride"...
_o0o_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2004, 23:22   #10
CrazyMike

CrazyMike is an unknown quantity at this point

my suggestion would seem to offer the best of both worlds... New players would be attracted by the fact that they will be in organised gals with experienced players. And those of us that like to play with our friends will still get to do so.

Even if you made each gal 50% private 50% random it would be great way to bring in new players and allow frineds to stay together.

What do you think of my suggesstion (not what do you think of my oppinion )

CrazyMike
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2004, 23:30   #11
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

I have nothing agianst the idea tbh, it is the implementation of it and my half-time involvement that causes a bit of a problem here. Time is ticking fast, and I was forced to do some massive rewrites due to the recent problems with the DB (has to do with InnoDB tables and rowlocking) (in the main game), and so the forces of nature leaves me with too little time.
But I wont give up just yet, and see what I can do about a "mixed" solution.
Unread 15 May 2004, 00:13   #12
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

more mixed solutions are defintly being considered for the all new version of pa - remember that round 11 is only a development of roud 10 and 10.5 which I might add Spinner had allready managed to cram loads of new features, so if some things don;t make it in and you want em, make loud noises on the suggestions forum so they get into the all new pa.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2004, 00:47   #13
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about

Regarding private vs random, why has the example of r6 never been used again but with 3 private 7 random. This helps in that ppl can be with 2 of their m8s, with most of the benefits of private less the whole blocking issue. With 7 random those 3 priv players can also do a bit of 'mentoring'. Yes there is the whole problem of scan/spy (free) planets mucking things up, but making exiling them easier (i.e. not making it a % of the planets size but rather a % of gal income less nominated planets income) would provide a way to counter it.

Co-opping a gals fund is just plain wrong, bringing back the gdf would be on a par...

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
-=Zyth=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2004, 00:49   #14
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

probelms is it will make attacking easy - as any gal will probably be easy roids.... although - making attacking easier whiel bringing in multi-eta fleets might be worth doing.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 15 May 2004, 10:50   #15
TouRiQueT
-Narcissus.Narcosis-

TouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these parts

random as in, random payed planets or random payed and free planets?!
________
BLACKBABYDOLL

Last edited by TouRiQueT; 13 Sep 2011 at 06:57.
TouRiQueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2004, 10:54   #16
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouRiQueT
random as in, random payed planets or random payed and free planets?!
random as in random i'd expect

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 15 May 2004, 10:56   #17
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
For about the 9th round running all I ahve to say is PRIVATE PACKS. Players want to play with friends so they know they have a some people to fall back on BUT the game needs the aspects that random brings as such private packs is perfect.

And tbh it wouldnt be that hard to implement this solution in some rushed manner. Limit galaxies to 3 people each. Then randomly shuffle these galaxies to create galaxies of 12 or 15 . Although you might actually need to have the initial shuffle limit galaxies at say 9 allowing space for 1 or 2 new packs to be shuffled in during the round otherwise you might end up with people being able to abuse the system by signing up late
The Farnborough Crew

Last edited by wakey; 15 May 2004 at 11:05.
Unread 15 May 2004, 11:03   #18
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
For about the 9 round running all I ahve to say is PRIVATE PACKS. Players want to play with friends so they know they have a some people to fall back on BUT the game needs the aspects that random brings as such private packs is perfect

i think most agree, but its not neccessarily an easy thing to code with such little time before the round starts and so much allready to test.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 15 May 2004, 11:04   #19
TouRiQueT
-Narcissus.Narcosis-

TouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these parts

random is fine just no free planets mixed with paid ones.
________
Magic

Last edited by TouRiQueT; 13 Sep 2011 at 06:57.
TouRiQueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2004, 11:07   #20
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
i think most agree, but its not neccessarily an easy thing to code with such little time before the round starts and so much allready to test.
See my addition, as ive stated I dont see how it couldnt be implemented with too much hassle. Ok its rough fix to allow it but if theres not time to fully code it it would be a workable solution imho
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 15 May 2004, 11:27   #21
Kal
Inactive peon

and how do u know its possible to change the gal size when a gal has people in it? as i said before none of us know how things are coded so can;t say if somehting can easily be done or not.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 15 May 2004, 11:39   #22
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

i'm surprised that noone's pointed out the neccessity of playing a race that has fi/co pods available. imo the variable eta is a huge mistake, as it means that out of alliance defence is possible. while alliances don't tend to defend each other this means that any attack which launches at fr+ speeds is going to meet a barrage of multi defence, at least up untill the point where the free planets start to lag behind in eta reseearch. the bigger your pods the longer this is going to be a problem.

given the wonderful history of multi hunting in pa i find it worrying to find people are purposefully implimenting things that make cheating more profitable

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2004, 11:54   #23
Gerbie
pe0n

I expect most (all?) races to have fi and/or co pods, as with both alliance and cluster def that would be pretty hard to roid with already. Free players can just as well have fr/de/cr/bs pods as they have no chance of landing when a planet has alies any way. Expect most of the ships built to be fi/co, most of which will target other fi/co.
Unread 15 May 2004, 12:03   #24
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

on the one hand, i'd hope that all races have a fi/co pod, 'cus otherwise they're a bit screwed, on the other hand... that would be terribly dull.

-mist
Unread 15 May 2004, 12:31   #25
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

i was previously for variable ETAs but now i am not so sure. static ETAs may be a good thing, for the reasons stated above... i dont think variable ETAs can work properly with the current alliance system.
Unread 15 May 2004, 12:38   #26
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

What I love most is that there's different ETA's on ship classes again + it adds some extra spice when it's random with cluster alliances

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA
This means? Cumulative? o_O
Unread 15 May 2004, 12:50   #27
wakey
Hamster

It means that defending a alliance mate in your cluster only gives you aan alliance eta bonus so its just -1, rather than giving you cluster and alliance bonus which would have meant -2
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 15 May 2004, 13:22   #28
Lord_Thunderball
Playing Speedrounds

Lord_Thunderball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have nothing agianst the idea tbh, it is the implementation of it and my half-time involvement that causes a bit of a problem here. Time is ticking fast, and I was forced to do some massive rewrites due to the recent problems with the DB (has to do with InnoDB tables and rowlocking) (in the main game), and so the forces of nature leaves me with too little time.
But I wont give up just yet, and see what I can do about a "mixed" solution.
Good effort again spinner. I like r10.5 let's see what R11 brings us. Only thing I don't like is the allaince limit, cause I don't think your game will benefit from it, if it was private again, people could choose not to play in the same allainces, but in the same galaxy. Not prolly most people wanne be with friends in one alliance, and it seems some alliances who are keeping this game alive will need to refuse those people. Waiting for beta!

Go Spinner!
Unread 15 May 2004, 15:17   #29
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

tbh, with this new changes i really hope(and believe) we'll see ppl returning from other games(code rippoffs r9 style). gg.

About Xan ships being showed by unitscan, why not make another scan further down the researchroad, maybe make it so that every planet has to choose from either "xan cloaked scan" or "fleet analysis scan" to make it a bit more dynamic and not so obvious and straight foward?

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2004, 16:29   #30
nickhall
Naked & Profane

nickhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
Good idea imo (altho can be abused - Could maybe be disabled at the end of the round)

Quote:
No deleate when under attack is good, removing altogether may not be a good idea may be genuine reasons for starting again.

Quote:
always good

Quote:
again always good

Quote:
Thats a good start, dependant on if Zik steel or subvert

Quote:
ok - not really much info there

Quote:
Well fixing things ppl can abuse is always good.

Quote:
good good

Quote:
good

Quote:
Does anyone use the gal fund?

Quote:
Good

Quote:
Ok fair enough.

Quote:
Again fixing bugs is always good.

Quote:
What? Xan are ment to be cloaked surely that meens a unit scan shouldnt show them.

Quote:
Good

Quote:
Fair enough

Quote:
Once more bug fixing is good.

Quote:
As long as they ballanced (which with more ppl helping they should be) this is good

Quote:
More bug fixes = good

Quote:
Good idea

Quote:
Im assuming that there will be no eta bonus for attacking. makes strong clusters very strong - maybe not such a good idea.

Quote:
Good good

Quote:
Ok - like what tho showing more/less ships than are there - if so this is only a disadvantage to those who are new/dont spend time on scaning, its easy to figure out if a fleet is true by calcing its score value, and surely if this 'interferance' is significant any good alliance/BG will do a few scans on each planet to confirm the scans are ok which newb's wont be able to do.
nickhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2004, 19:54   #31
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

On the whole looks good, but as has been said, randomising scans will hurt small/individual players a lot more than bigger/alliance players. If that's the intention, then fine, but seems a little stupid...
Making free planets unable to see the gal-status also seems counter-productive- would giving the GC of the galaxy the chance to decide this be a better idea?
Unit scan showing xan ships seems to be rather a large step to take. The age-old suggestion of a second unit-scan, higher up the tree, doing this job would appear to be a less drastic step to reducing xan's effectiveness.
Unread 15 May 2004, 20:36   #32
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
I expect most (all?) races to have fi and/or co pods, as with both alliance and cluster def that would be pretty hard to roid with already. Free players can just as well have fr/de/cr/bs pods as they have no chance of landing when a planet has alies any way. Expect most of the ships built to be fi/co, most of which will target other fi/co.
If you build pure fi/co, expect to be good at attacking but weak to certain attacks.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2004, 23:00   #33
mist
Jolt's best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zh|l
If you build pure fi/co, expect to be good at attacking but weak to certain attacks.
no one planet can be stong against all attacks anyway, as long as others are prepared to sacrifice this isn't a particularly bad point. plus, there's enough people out there who attack with 3 fleets

-mist
Unread 16 May 2004, 00:22   #34
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
no one planet can be stong against all attacks anyway, as long as others are prepared to sacrifice this isn't a particularly bad point. plus, there's enough people out there who attack with 3 fleets

-mist

Its take a hefty amount to cap roids though (for fi/co)

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Unread 16 May 2004, 00:23   #35
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

how will fleet slots work?? and how many will there be??

for example:

youve got 2 lots of ships with different etas, you want to send them to the same planet for the same arrival time. how many fleet slots will this take?

so, youve launched your fleets, (i will asume you have to launch them seperately for this arguement)

your galaxy gets incoming, to send adequate defence you need to send yet another 2 classes of ships with different etas, will this be possible. (this will now equal 4 fleet slots if different eta ships have to be sent seperately)

maybe im not making sense (well, more than likely im not) but i hope this gets my question across.
TheBerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2004, 00:46   #36
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

"Fleet takes the time of the slowest ship in it" is how it used to work....I see no reason why it would work any differently this time round.
Unread 16 May 2004, 02:21   #37
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBerk
youve got 2 lots of ships with different etas, you want to send them to the same planet for the same arrival time. how many fleet slots will this take?
You can either stick all ships in the same fleet (which will make the whole fleet go at the speed of the slowest ship there), or two separate ones (in which they will be different speeds, so will need to be launched at different times).

Hope that makes sense?
Unread 16 May 2004, 03:00   #38
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

ah ha, cheers
TheBerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2004, 03:14   #39
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

Yes to Semi-Private gals. if it can be coded.
Unread 16 May 2004, 05:33   #40
_o0o_

All pre-PaX rounds had Xan ships cloaked until fleet scans were available. Why change that and make them available to be seen at the same time as other ships (i.e. unit scan)?

Let's just get rid of cloaking all together if that is the case (a la PaX).
Unread 16 May 2004, 05:38   #41
Cayl

Cayl has a spectacular aura aboutCayl has a spectacular aura about

Because this way there's MORE randomness than in those previous round, but less randomness than in the current round.

If Xan stay the same, expect 70% of people to want to play them. How do you prepare for what you can't know in a game where there's no random targetting.
Unread 16 May 2004, 13:51   #42
_o0o_

Maybe we're not looking at this the right way... you can't tell what ships ANYBODY has until you can do a unit scan. By making Xan fleets available at a unit scan, then absoutely nothing is gained by being cloaked (if we have the race scenario). If it goes back to the way it was in PaX, then we also would have to lose EMP and Sub / Steal capabilities.

By making Xan fleet available at a fleet / jump gate scan (the highest scan), then the Xan still keep their effectiveness until those scans are available (which is a pro / con) and then another race takes over as the "one to be".

If Xan stay the same as they are NOW, then yes, everyone will want to play them. The only way you can tell what fleet a Xan has is if they are not crafty with changing their fleet names and deleting news.

Edited:
Added by being cloaked to make more sense out of sentence #2.

Last edited by _o0o_; 17 May 2004 at 02:24.
Unread 16 May 2004, 19:05   #43
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _o0o_
Maybe we're not looking at this the right way... you can't tell what ships ANYBODY has until you can do a unit scan. By making Xan fleets available at a unit scan, then absoutely nothing is gained (if we have the race scenario). If it goes back to the way it was in PaX, then we also would have to lose EMP and Sub / Steal capabilities.

By making Xan fleet available at a fleet / jump gate scan (the highest scan), then the Xan still keep their effectiveness until those scans are available (which is a pro / con) and then another race takes over as the "one to be".

If Xan stay the same as they are NOW, then yes, everyone will want to play them. The only way you can tell what fleet a Xan has is if they are not crafty with changing their fleet names and deleting news.
The switch to unit scan rather than fleet scan makes the Xan utterly different from what they were previous rounds. Not only does it remove the entire mystery around them - it thus allows attacks upon them early on. (Many people have always hate to hit Xan because they have no idea what ships the person has). With unit scans, anyone will be able to craft a fleet to hit Xan. But their immunity to fleet scans means it's very hard to judge what a Xan has sent against you - Xan dont attack with just one class (at least from what Ive found out in the beta so far), they attack much more cunningly to succeed and this undoubterly resolves in alot of fleet death for the target.

I'm biased towards Xan, yet I disagree with all the people saying to change Xan back to the fleet scan revealing them. I feel its much more interesting (and probably 'in character') to have their fleets immune whilst incoming.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]