User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Mar 2004, 20:15   #1
AllFather|away
Big Kahuna

AllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really nice
Bigass NASA announcement

Quote:
March 1, 2004
Donald Savage
Headquarters, Washington
(Phone: 202/358-1547)

Guy Webster
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
(Phone: 818/354-5011)
<br /.NOTE TO EDITORS: N04-038

NASA HEADQUARTERS MARS-ROVER OPPORTUNITY PRESS BRIEFING MARCH 2

Significant findings from NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity, now exploring Meridiani Planum
on Mars, will be announced at a press briefing at 2 p.m. EST, Tuesday, March 2, 2004, at NASA
Headquarters, Washington.

The briefing will originate from the James E. Webb Auditorium, 300 E St., S.W., Washington, and will
be carried live on NASA TV with two-way question-and-answer capability for reporters covering the
event from participating NASA centers.

Dr. Ed Weiler, Associate Administrator, Office of Space Science at NASA Headquarters, will make
opening remarks.

For a live webcast of the briefing and information about NASA TV on the Internet, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/ntv
Its on now, and you know what they managed to announce?:

They think they found proof that liquid water was on mars.
They think they see proof of that from a rock.

I thought water on mars was old news, and seeing proof that it tuched a rock isnt that exciting as water normaly stay down on the ground, not levitating above it not tuching anyhing...

DTA
Support the liberation of "AllFather"
AllFather|away is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 20:17   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Bigass NASA announcement

Water on mars is old news.

Liquid water on mars isn't.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 20:18   #3
AllFather|away
Big Kahuna

AllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really nice

same shit, different wrapping.

DTA
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 20:19   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllFather|away
same shit, different wrapping.
It's a significant difference. Of course, you're obviously too important to notice this, Mr God Sir.
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 20:21   #5
AllFather|away
Big Kahuna

For water to first freeze, it had to be liquid.....

DTA
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 20:23   #6
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

He's got a point, Jim
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 20:23   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
For water to first freeze, it had to be liquid.....
Yes, but noone said it ever froze.

Furthermore, even if you assume it was once liquid, you don't know if it

a. froze not on mars

b. was liquid on mars in significant amounts.

Hence the importance of proof of the historical presence of liquid water.
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 20:23   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
He's got a point, Jim
Unless he's Jim, I'm afraid not.
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 20:40   #9
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say a unfrozen water table below the martian soil is VERY diffrent from frozen polor caps.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 20:42   #10
AllFather|away
Big Kahuna

So your scenario is this:

A giant flying iceberg hit mars at high velocity and spread all over the planet without loosing its frozen state while entering the atmosphere.

Presission iceberg parking is the reason they could fill entire "vallys" with ice..

GG..

DTA
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 20:44   #11
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:

A giant flying iceberg hit mars at high velocity and spread all over the planet without loosing its frozen state while entering the atmosphere.

Presission iceberg parking is the reason they could fill entire "vallys" with ice..

GG..
Well, they DID manage to hit the titanic with an iceberg
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 20:46   #12
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

GG..
comet ggnextmap
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 20:49   #13
Intrepid00

Big enough comet, Mar's thin atmoshere. I'd say its possiable. Though, I have no ****ing clue what your going on about.
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 21:00   #14
Deathjam|wee
Weeeeee

Deathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura about

maybe the ice roid/comet was incased in cheese so when it the mars atmosphere the cheese melted but the ice didn't, then the melted cheese hit the ground and bounced back out into space and into the orbit of earth where it cooled and became hard cheese to form the moon

One load of gollums is enough for anyone.Ta
DM.
Deathjam|wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 21:05   #15
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathjam|wee
maybe the ice roid/comet was incased in cheese so when it the mars atmosphere the cheese melted but the ice didn't, then the melted cheese hit the ground and bounced back out into space and into the orbit of earth where it cooled and became hard cheese to form the moon
Perhaps not of course...

BTW, you calling that thingy a "roid" is quite scary.
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 21:07   #16
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

they are pretty sure that they have found liquid water on the survace of mars a brine-mixture to be exact. A lot of salt so it wont freeze. CNBC said that liquid water has been found that could support life.. but the thing i read on nasaa said it was a brine...with no evidence of life.. yet.

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 21:09   #17
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

pps, Things intering the martian atmosphere arent super heated.. it isnt that dense... Its warm.. but ice could make it down before it all mealted.

Unread 2 Mar 2004, 21:12   #18
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
I thought water on mars was old news,
It is old news - this is just NASA making sure everyone knows they want the credit for finding out "definitively".
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 21:25   #19
Intrepid00

Water on Mars is not old news as a possiablity, its just hasn't (and still hasn't) been proven to be true or false.
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 21:26   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Hey, why not read the second post in the thread!
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 21:35   #21
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

water on mars (in liquid from) has been proven to exists, and its pretty much proven that brine ( salt/liquid solution) exists on mars now. they said that mars might be able currently to support life.

Unread 2 Mar 2004, 21:45   #22
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Hey, why not read the second post in the thread!
So they found water for sure now, (BTW using a radio telescope to see if you can detect hydrogen doesn't prove Mars had water) that is awesome.
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 21:53   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
if you can detect hydrogen doesn't prove Mars had water
It's pretty firm evidence though, given that water is an exceptionally simple and common compound.
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 23:31   #24
Intrepid00

Quote:
It's pretty firm evidence though, given that water is an exceptionally simple and common compound.
So is HCl
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 23:37   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
So is HCl
So's NH3.

We could go on like this all day you know
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 23:38   #26
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Bigass NASA announcement

Are there any brambles on Mars? If not, I'm not interested.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 23:47   #27
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Let's all make nettle soup and rub our scrotums with thorns because it's what gets me off

Sorry, not sure where I was going with that.
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 23:48   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Let's all make nettle soup and rub our scrotums with thorns because it's what gets me off

Sorry, not sure where I was going with that.
To MM's bedroom. AAAAAAAAHLLL RIGHT
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 23:50   #29
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Strawberries are one fruit that should not come into contact with lower body parts. Not welcome at all.
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 23:52   #30
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

I can imagine lemon-juice down the japs might cause discomfort, but what could possibly go wrong with a strawberry in round your nethers?

Seeds? YOU DISGUST ME.
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 23:55   #31
Marilyn Manson
Gone

The strawberry smears look awful, and it will smell heavily pungent when mixed with other 'substances.'
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 23:57   #32
Intrepid00

Is there hydrogen in strawberries?
Unread 2 Mar 2004, 23:58   #33
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4202901/

Unread 2 Mar 2004, 23:58   #34
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

as the final word.

Unread 3 Mar 2004, 00:00   #35
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Is there hydrogen in strawberries?
Far, far too much.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 00:02   #36
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
as the final word.
I assume there's some really great logic behind your posting two, three, four consecutive messages as you seem to do with some degree of regularity whereby a simple carriage return would suffice?

And MM, what, like, does it do a 'Bailey's and Lime' kind of scenario?
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 00:05   #37
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I'm all for a bit of G&T; there's lime involved there.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 00:05   #38
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
And MM, what, like, does it do a 'Bailey's and Lime' kind of scenario?
I have no idea.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 00:05   #39
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
I'm all for a bit of G&T; there's lime involved there.
I meant 'curdling' =(
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 00:07   #40
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
I meant 'curdling' =(
It would be an awful mess. Awful.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 00:08   #41
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

This thread has inspired me to have a G&T.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 00:09   #42
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
CURDLED SEMEN CURDLED SEMEN CURDLED SEMEN

And Paul Daniels.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 00:10   #43
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Don't try and blame us for you alcohol addiction. George Best tried that one and we broke his face.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 00:11   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:

And Paul Daniels.
It looks like a clear, colourless liquid to me. With 2 ice cubes.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 00:12   #45
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Don't try and blame us for you alcohol addiction. George Best tried that one and we broke his face.
There was a minicrisis when I COULDN'T FIND THE TONIC WATER.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 00:16   #46
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
It looks like a clear, colourless liquid to me. With 2 ice cubes.
paul daniels?
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 00:17   #47
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
paul daniels?
My G&T. But if Paul Daniels contains quinine, who am I to argue?
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 00:19   #48
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
paul daniels?
Paul Daniels is a clear, colourless twat.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 00:23   #49
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Has someone been covertly Debbie McGee my posts? Own up!
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 00:24   #50
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Quote:
assume there's some really great logic behind your posting two, three, four consecutive messages as you seem to do with some degree of regularity whereby a simple carriage return would suffice?
atleast im on topic :-/

Additionally, i think about things as a post them, so when i new thought comes up. i post it. Being that its easier to just add another post... i do that. post forums have an auto-edit feature...Perhaps PA should look into that.