User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Sep 2004, 23:04   #1
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
stupid peice of shit XP service pack 2

so, like since I installed it, my computer keeps trying to shut itself off...but then eventually gives up and just locks itself tighter that a nun's hoohoo. So, today it totally went all ****ed...and I got a WINDOWS XP BLUE SCREEN OF DEAAAAAAATH informing that the boot record or some shit like that was ****ed.

I thought that it was perhaps a virus, but I just did a scan this morning and haven't dl'd anything since. But, i remembered to myself that everything was perfect till about 10 minutes AFTER i installed sp2...so it's either a coincidence or sp2 is a piece of shit.

how can i uninstall sp2?
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 23:06   #2
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: stupid peice of shit XP service pack 2

You can't.

[edit]
The Beta version gave you an archive option so you could uninstall, but I have no idea if the full release gives an uninstall option. If it did and you didn't select it, you're looking at a reinstall.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 23:07   #3
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy
You can't.
i don't like you anymore
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 23:09   #4
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

you cant

i sent a txt msg to jesus and he didnt txt bk, so if he cnt do it, what hope is there for the rest of us?

but he did say that he doesnt love koen
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 23:10   #5
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly_D
i don't like you anymore
Sorry, my edit is slightly more helpful.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 23:13   #6
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy
Sorry, my edit is slightly more helpful.
indeed it is, but I think I'm screwed...unless I reinstall XP with sp1 :\
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 23:14   #7
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

win 98 > *
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 23:17   #8
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

i have an option to remove SP2 in my add/remove programs. i did use the msdn version tho

-mist
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 23:21   #9
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have the remove option too (installed sp2 from windows update the other night)
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 23:22   #10
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

oh goody...I also have the remove option, it was hiding on me :\

byebye sp2, you useless piece of crap
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 23:28   #11
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

SP 2 works fine for me. I had problems when I downloaded the Beta ages ago so I ordered the CD (is free so no complaints! ), installed it and it's up and running all merrily.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 00:12   #12
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

SP2 seems generally a good thing, despite all the bashing it seems to be receiving it appears to have done some good things and not so many bad things, imo

-mist
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 01:05   #13
Superpig #1
^ ^ Clearly Stolen ^ ^

Superpig #1 is infamous around these parts

Its shite, gives you errors everywhere. I got rid of it like 2 hours after i got it....
This is a man in a wheelchair - &

and that was my sig.
Superpig #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 01:41   #14
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of

Wrong forum.

You CAN uninstall SP2, unless you were stupid and disabled the option during install.
If you leave it running on a clean and good pc that wasn't ****ed up before, I can't see what should go wrong. Seems alright to me, that SP2.

* Haven't upgraded myself yet, only other people's computers. Will wait 3 more weeks to see what problems occur.
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 11:04   #15
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

once again 100% error free here, I think it's more likely that SP2 is showing up problems on people with flaky software/drivers.
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 11:23   #16
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Explorer sometimes crashes on booting in

DrWatson (????) causes occasional problems.

Apart from that everything runs fine.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 11:29   #17
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

They brought back DrWatson?
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 12:30   #18
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

Emperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to all

Installed perfectly and not a single complaint since then... well one, it installed Messenger. I would have thought the fact that I uninstalled it and chose not to install it for over a year of running windows update might have been a bit of a clue to it that I didn't want that POS installed, but noooo it had to put in on anyway. Needless to say it's now gone again.

I have a few friends who had to reinstall after trying to implement SP2, I guess it can go either way. Must depend on luck, my current installation of XP is the 'Devil's Own' version (changed the CD key for SP1) that i installed a ~month before XP went on sale. This makes it 3 years old, but as I said, I had no problems getting SP2 on where younger installations, which you'd think should have less issues, did have problems. Go figure.

Kick the Baby! - did we rock your world?
Emperor Rozenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 14:45   #19
madman2k30
Banned

madman2k30 is an unknown quantity at this point

so the morale of the story is microsoft is crap and learn how to use linux
madman2k30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 14:56   #20
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

Damn, I was hoping they had banned you.
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 14:58   #21
madman2k30
Banned

guess not as i aint breaking no rules
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 15:04   #22
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman2k30
guess not as i aint breaking no rules
you're breaking my rules tho...and surely that's enough
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 15:06   #23
madman2k30
Banned

i play by my rules
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 15:06   #24
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

your rules suck
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 15:09   #25
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

Rule #1

.....just noticed DJbass is a harper fan...rare and unusual.
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 15:12   #26
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I don't like my SP2. It sucks. Just a few minutes ago, it wanted to reboot for no reason.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 15:17   #27
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_spammer
Rule #1

I didn't notice until you mentioned it, just half-glanced at the pic and thought it was someone from a boy band or something
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 15:20   #28
1-X
overtired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
I don't like my SP2. It sucks. Just a few minutes ago, it wanted to reboot for no reason.
maybe it's downloading updates in the background and needs to reboot to activate them? (I don't know how that process goes because mine is always off)
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 15:23   #29
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

If it was downloading updates, how come my internet/network logo thingy at the bottom right corner isn't flashing?
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 15:33   #30
1-X
overtired

I only said maybe

(my SP2 does nothing wrong and never reboots for no reason)
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 18:32   #31
madman2k30
Banned

because on service pack 2 you have the choice
1. the automatic update feature to download and install the update which causes the pc to reboot.
2 the service pack 1 way which is download and ask for permission to install,.
3.not to update at all.
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 01:37   #32
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

I have (touch wood) yet to experiance a XP BSOD or any other kind of crash. but, there's still time :S
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 01:54   #33
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quazi Starbucks is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
I have (touch wood) yet to experiance a XP BSOD or any other kind of crash. but, there's still time :S
open regedit.
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters
Create a new DWORD value and name it CrashOnCtrlScroll
Right-click on this newly created value and click on Modify
Enter 1 in the Value data field and click on OK.
Close regedit and reboot your system.
Now you can blue screen your system by holding the right CTRL key and pressing "Scroll Lock" twice.
Quazi Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 06:37   #34
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_spammer
Rule #1

heh.. it's the result of a snowball effect.

I've long been a Star Trek fan and recalled hearing years ago about a show called Andromeda also by Gene Roddenberry and it wasn't till recently I actually had a chance to watch a few episodes. All I can say is I'm a convert, and I geuss I identify most with Harper being a tech and all.
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 00:48   #35
Blastoderm
________

I've just uninstalled it. Don't like it.