User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 27 Aug 2004, 13:58   #1
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Vast amounts of Video to capture

In total about 12 hours of video to capture to hard drive.
Now i have about 1gig free from my 120gig and 3gig free from my 40 gig that are installed.

I have enough cash to purchase a 200gig WD Caviar drive but im wondering whether this is too much because the 160gig one would fit better into my budget.

How much space do i realistically need?

Im sure i can clean about 10 more gig off the 120gig ive already got meaning id have in total around 15gig free + whatever drive i bought.

the Video will be being burned to a DVD btw after being compressed etc.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2004, 15:50   #2
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Vast amounts of Video to capture

If you capture directly into MPEG2 then your looking at between 30 and 70mb a minute. So at worst that 4.2gb an hour or 50.4gb for all 12 hours
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Aug 2004, 13:36   #3
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

More or less what Wakey said. I seem to recall from my video editing days that 1 hour of MPEG1 compressed video used 9Gb. If it's being stored in an uncompressed AVI form forget it, or do it in smaller chunks. Also if you can not capture directly to MPEG2 format then you will likely need twice the capacity as the source for the re-encoding process.
Unread 29 Aug 2004, 03:03   #4
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Vast amounts of Video to capture

K, I'd suggest the DV codec, usually in an AVI container.

It's great for video editing -- behaving like uncompressed AVI. Bitrate is usually 30mbps (also I've seen 25mbps as well, maybe it's for 30 and 25fps respectively?).

Anyway, I can recommend Panasonic DV Codec to you, or the built in version from ffdShow (if it works, that is).

Let's do a bit of calculation:
Code:
12h * 60m / h * 60s / m = 43200s

43200s * 30mbit / s = 1296000mbit

1296000mbit / 8bit = 162000MB

162000MB / 1024MB / GB = 158,2 GB
There you go! The 160GB version should be enough, BUT: Unfortunately they mean 160 decimal GB, which is only 149GB - if I'm not mistaken... divided 160 trillion by (1024 ^ 3).

Anyway, rule of thumb: Preserve 14 GB for each hour of video material that you want to capture / edit later on (13.2GB actually needed for one h @ 30mbps)
Unread 29 Aug 2004, 03:09   #5
JetLinus

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of

OFC, directly compressing to MPEG2 saves you A LOT of diskspace, BUT:
  • Quality deteriorates.
  • CPU power needed for capturing is by far bigger -- needs to be a fast CPU to do it high quality real time, or have an MPEG2 encoder card.
  • MPEG2 isn't editable that nice. Drag & drop of cutscenes might joggle / be really slow. And some video editing programs just don't really like it and tend to crash more often - if they even support it.
    In MY experience, editing with DV is waaaaaaaay more comfortable.

Also, think about deinterlacing. Are you going to work with 50fps? If so, twice the HD space is needed.
Consider the right deinterlacing method, it is SUCH a huge deciding factor for your final quality.
And go check out -> www.100fps.com!
A must for every serious DVD maker

Last edited by JetLinus; 29 Aug 2004 at 03:35.
JetLinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2004, 06:05   #6
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

why not capture to avi , compressed mpeg-4 (divx/xvid) ( sound as mp3 stream ) if you have the cpu power to do it real-time?
you can get ~2 hours in 700-1400 meg if you dont want to get too picky about quality
Unread 29 Aug 2004, 12:11   #7
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

right well cheers for help and suggestions.

in the end i did the following :

I hooked the DV camera upto a mixing desk and from the mixing desk into a dvd recorder.

Also going into the mixing desk was a cd player for sound etc but it can be a laptop with mp3s etc on it also.

Whenever theres boring parts to the film or theres chatter thats irrelevant i fade in music. It also seems to be going swimmingly atm.

I still need the bigger hdd but at the same time i realised i hadnt budgeted for a car service which ive booked in for september 1st :-(((((

bleedin car is like a bottomless pit in which i have to throw cash or get eaten by the exercise monster :/
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2004, 12:51   #8
JetLinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
why not capture to avi , compressed mpeg-4 (divx/xvid) ( sound as mp3 stream ) if you have the cpu power to do it real-time?
you can get ~2 hours in 700-1400 meg if you dont want to get too picky about quality
You DON'T have the CPU power...

Even if you haven't enabled the "high qualtiy - very slow" option, and don't use advanced features like "quarterpel" etc, you still have only 13fps PER PASS on my 3ghz HT (and 2pass is a MUST imo). The older versions are a bit faster (but have worse quality?). But real-time? Don't think so.

You COULD solve the problem by bitrate, just say "ok, I'll capture to DivX CBR 4mbps" then, but still too cpu-heavy.

Also you forgot about deinterlacing. Refer to www.100fps.com.

And last not least, DivX / MPEG4 makes you cry when using it in video editing programs.