User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 2 Jul 2005, 09:53   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
its not so bad to live here after all

some court just decided that its illegal for an ISP to save the connection-data (including the IP-adress) of its customers, because its not essential for providing the service, but an intrusion into privacy.
hurra for file-sharing \o/
Unread 2 Jul 2005, 09:58   #2
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: its not so bad to live here after all

nice one, i wonder if any other country will be able to get away with that
Unread 2 Jul 2005, 10:57   #3
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

its not final yet, they still can appeal, but to me it makes some sense: otherwise they could also make phone-companies tape all phone calls, because on some of them someone might plan a crime
Unread 2 Jul 2005, 12:20   #4
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road

hurray for the Datenschutzgesetz
Unread 2 Jul 2005, 12:33   #5
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by at0mic.c0w
hurray for the Datenschutzgesetz
sooner or later Schily is going to ruin it to fight terrorism or something (and no, he wont leave his office, he'll just join the CSU after the SPD lost the election :/)
here is a link about what i said http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/polit...363166,00.html
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 14:49   #6
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

so which country is this?
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 17:34   #7
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Germany: the land of the free.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 20:07   #8
edmoo
SuperTux!

edmoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Gotta love Germany - supposed to be a country with a lot of political and social freedoms, through I've never visited. Id like to though. (Nearly) all of mainland europe rocks.
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 20:27   #9
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

They have ID cards though. But the German's don't seem to mind.

That reminds me of a good argument against ID cards in the UK actually. The government is saying it will help fight terrorism. But mainland Europe has had ID cards ever since the Nazi occupation, and are they any safer from terrorism than we are?
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 20:31   #10
edmoo
SuperTux!

I still don't understand why idea cards are at all useful... anyone want o go into it? I like to make my mind up about things. Means I can argue more, and I *like* to argue
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 20:58   #11
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
They have ID cards though. But the German's don't seem to mind.
in 23 years i never had to show my id card to a cop.
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 20:59   #12
wu_trax

i find them extremly usefull whenever i need to identify myself (like for opening a bank account and such things)
i dont know enough about what is pruposed for uk, but some things people wrote here sounded somewhat insane. i have no idea how they can be used to fight terrorism, i just think they are usfull, at least as long as they are not stuffed with all my biometric data and give the whole government access to it.
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 21:01   #13
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

Ours will be 'stuffed with biometric data'

[Edit] Well hopefully it won't actually happen, but if it does they will.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 21:02   #14
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by at0mic.c0w
in 23 years i never had to show my id card to a cop.
there problem seems to be that in theory they have to carry them all the time (just like we do). it doesnt matter that in real life the police usually has better things to do. you know, 'freedom' and that whole overrated stuff.
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 21:11   #15
edmoo
SuperTux!

I don't think I'm in favor of spending a shed load of cash on producing card which are 'handy'... The whole thing would takle a fair bit of administration too. I'm generally in favour of people having lots of personal freedoms, and the government taking control of larger, international issues. I think that is the best way to achieve a pleasant lifestyle for all. Also makes it easier to encourage global equality.
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 21:35   #16
Weeks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
... at least as long as they are not stuffed with all my biometric data and give the whole government access to it.
Welcome to the United Kingdom!
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 21:40   #17
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

Quote:
there problem seems to be that in theory they have to carry them all the time (just like we do). it doesnt matter that in real life the police usually has better things to do. you know, 'freedom' and that whole overrated stuff.
being easily identifiable is more of a convenience for me than for the police. if 'the man' wants to know who i am then i could just as well rot in a cell until i tell.
Unread 4 Jul 2005, 00:02   #18
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: its not so bad to live here after all

Quote:
some court just decided that its illegal for an ISP to save the connection-data (including the IP-adress) of its customers, because its not essential for providing the service, but an intrusion into privacy.
hurra for file-sharing \o/
That didn't stop the police from taking down our uni-internal direct-connect network though. Or at least they investigated, so the guys in charge turned it off asap...

Anway, this leaves me without the capability to download from about 150TB of "data" with a speed of 2.8MB/s (if I unplugged my router I'd get up to 10MB/s apparently).

Also the Direct-Connect port is now blocked. Time for WASTE? We'll see...

And they found a wireless cam in one of the shower-rooms (1 single shower, mixed genders). Nobody knows where it came from or how long it has been broadcasting...
Unread 4 Jul 2005, 01:56   #19
Weeks
Banned

Scarey.

When I tried WASTE it was excellent. The open source version is up to scratch as well. In fact, the open source version is the only version that's available as AOL shut down WASTE's original development.

P.s. if you're university shuts down a certain port then just reroute all the packets through 8080. This will work for for internal networks.