User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 27 Apr 2005, 00:38   #1
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Oh James Oh James Oh James

Sunday 9pm C5
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 00:40   #2
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question Re: Oh James Oh James Oh James

Sunday9pm lol

What?
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 00:43   #3
Freakozoid
Anon.

Freakozoid is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Oh James Oh James Oh James

The Godfather.

I have the trilogy boxset.
Freakozoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 00:45   #4
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I suspect that James does too but sometimes watching a film on TV you like and own is cool.
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 00:48   #5
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Oh James Oh James Oh James

Your hitting > 50% "oh look whats on UK TV" threads now... :-/

(What happened to the "let me tell you about poker" stuff?)

I'm only doing this to bring back good old Dace (tm) stories...
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 00:52   #6
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
Your hitting > 50% "oh look whats on UK TV" threads now... :-/

(What happened to the "let me tell you about poker" stuff?)

I'm only doing this to bring back good old Dace (tm) stories...

WHAT THE ****?

I rarely make "this is what's on TV" threads.

Also i said i wasn't gonna make any more "Dace true life stories" a while ago.
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 00:58   #7
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
I suspect that James does too but sometimes watching a film on TV you like and own is cool.
That's interesting. Over here TV generally is quite shitty, and once films make it to TV they have edited it to dust for 'obsenity' and for time constraints, not to mention formatting it to fit the TV. Seeing a film first shown on the theaters on network television is pretty 'uncool.'
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 01:00   #8
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Oh James Oh James Oh James

Quote:
Hm sorry then, it was my impression...
Maybe because I can never really understand as I don't have british television.

Let me at least put it like this: You make more "something about channel 4" threads than anyone else...
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 01:05   #9
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
sometimes watching a film on TV you like and own is cool.
so true, i own the boxset but dont really watch it too much, however it being on TV, alas I shall watch it again!
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 01:38   #10
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i watched it just last week actually
the whole trilogy

however

i will most likely watch it again on c5

ta dace
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 03:00   #11
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
i watched it just last week actually
the whole trilogy

however

i will most likely watch it again on c5

ta dace
I'm surprised you like these movies. Who could have guessed? I'm thinking about watching scarface myself.
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 05:04   #12
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

too date I've never watched any of the godfather movies, and Idon't see that changing anytime soon.
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 05:41   #13
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
too date I've never watched any of the godfather movies, and Idon't see that changing anytime soon.
If you don't watch them soon we'll have to go to the mattresses. I'll make you an offer you can't refuse.
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 06:39   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
You prefer IE to Firefox/Opera, Yahoo to Google, and Buffy the movie compared to Buffy the TV series.

Of course you're not going to like the Godfather. It's good.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 07:52   #15
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

hey, i like buffy the movie, it has cheesy goodness going for it!
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 11:20   #16
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakozoid
The Godfather.

I have the trilogy boxset.
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 12:27   #17
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
hey, i like buffy the movie, it has cheesy goodness going for it!

But do you prefer it to the series?
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 12:35   #18
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
You prefer IE to Firefox/Opera, Yahoo to Google, and Buffy the movie compared to Buffy the TV series.

Of course you're not going to like the Godfather. It's good.
Thats quite scary what you wrote above, I cant believe hes allowed on the internet!
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 15:06   #19
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Thats quite scary what you wrote above, I cant believe hes allowed on the internet!
What's more scary is that Dante knows so much about me...

Oh, and Dante, rather you have highlighted for me a pattern other than the one you pointed out. All of the above shows that I prefer the originals, which to me is logical as original things tend to be the best. Perhaps I should go see Scarface instead.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 08:43   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
All of the above shows that I prefer the originals, which to me is logical as original things tend to be the best.
The problem is that when people prefer "the original", it rarely is the original. OK, Buffy the Movie was the "original" in the sense nothing comes directly before it, but you could argue it's a homage / rip-off of a dozen other things (ignoring the obvious vampire movie lineage, it reminded me a bit of Teen Wolf at the time).

If you're going to prefer the original web browser than there were plenty before IE. What about Netscape, Mosaic or Nexus ("WorldWideWeb")? Hell, I'm still relatively young but I remember when IE was the upstart that people were considering dumping Netscape for.

If we're talking search engines than Yahoo certainly wasn't even close to being first.

One problem with this originality worship is that people tend to associate "the original" with what they may have first used / enjoyed using in a major way. So among my friends, most of the people who have seen the Kevin Smith movies have a favourite. Some prefer Clerks, others Mallrats and even one who prefers Chasing Amy. And in each case it's the movie they saw first they think is best. Which is fair enough, but is a lot harder to defend as quasi-objective.

But perhaps more importantly, the original often isn't the best. Joss Whedon hated Buffy the movie because of all the problems and when making the series was determined not to make the same mistakes. In a project Version 10 is usually better than Version 1 - and if it's not then something has gone badly wrong.

This is not to completely devalue originality but I do think people over-rate it sometimes.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 10:10   #21
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
The problem is that when people prefer "the original", it rarely is the original. OK, Buffy the Movie was the "original" in the sense nothing comes directly before it, but you could argue it's a homage / rip-off of a dozen other things (ignoring the obvious vampire movie lineage, it reminded me a bit of Teen Wolf at the time).

If you're going to prefer the original web browser than there were plenty before IE. What about Netscape, Mosaic or Nexus ("WorldWideWeb")? Hell, I'm still relatively young but I remember when IE was the upstart that people were considering dumping Netscape for.

If we're talking search engines than Yahoo certainly wasn't even close to being first.

One problem with this originality worship is that people tend to associate "the original" with what they may have first used / enjoyed using in a major way. So among my friends, most of the people who have seen the Kevin Smith movies have a favourite. Some prefer Clerks, others Mallrats and even one who prefers Chasing Amy. And in each case it's the movie they saw first they think is best. Which is fair enough, but is a lot harder to defend as quasi-objective.

But perhaps more importantly, the original often isn't the best. Joss Whedon hated Buffy the movie because of all the problems and when making the series was determined not to make the same mistakes. In a project Version 10 is usually better than Version 1 - and if it's not then something has gone badly wrong.

This is not to completely devalue originality but I do think people over-rate it sometimes.
I won't disagree on your view of originality worship, what you say is absolutely true. However the fact that any of these things are original is purely coincidental, and infact until you listed them ealier I hadn't realised the pattern.

I'll break down the examples for you:

Buffy the movie vs Buffy the series. Given the points cited above from yourself and another poster I can't see any way I can put this that you'll understand, because the very points you criticise the movie for are what I criticise the series for, so it seems to be purely a matter of preference. I haven't seen the movie since it was originally released, so memory is hazy.. but I seem to recall it being a lot more believable and well scripted than the show ever was. The show to me seems like a watered down version of the movie, with little more than pop-idoltry to fuel its fanbase. Infact I'm 90% certain that if SMG wasn't in it, the show would be a dismal failure (and not due to her acting that's for sure). Oh and by original in this case I refer to the Buffy character and related materials, I certainly wouldn't argue it's a first of its type and believe me I'm also not suggesting it's the best movie ever made, I just mean I prefer it over the series.

IE vs Firefox vs Opera. Original is applied loosely here, I mean only in context to the other two browsers mentioned. Hell I started with the first versions of mosaic back in the day. Then I progressed to Netscape and for a long while I considered IE the spawn of satan, absolutely terrible in terms of usability and speed. It was't till version 4 of IE that MS pulled their head out of their arse and came up with a brilliant yet simple piece of software. For arguments sake I'm aware that IE & Firefox are built off the mosaic engine, what matters is what each company decided to do with that engine. I think that Firefox and Opera work just fine, no arguments with their implimentation. What I don't like is that they've both crossed that line of when a browser is no longer a browser. I don't need any of the other useless and fancy shit they come bundled with.

Yahoo vs Google. Once again original is used loosely here, and in context with the two only. Yes, there may have been crawlbots and such in existance, but I wouldn't acredit any of them as being a proper search engine. Yahoo was the first to take the search terms and produce meaningful results, meaning what you serached for was what you actually got. Google didn't enter the scene till a few years later. Infact, I feel a large part of Googles success is not in usability, but due to the problem you mentioned of it being the first search engine most people are introduced to these days.

Godfather (*The Mafia*). This is not a slate against the movie itself, don't get me wrong I'm sure its a brilliant and artful masterpiece, but it's just not my thing. I've said this before but I just don't like the mafia, they bore me to tears. How to explain it I don't know, but nothing of their lifestyles or manorisms interests me, it's like I'm missing some gene or something associated with the liking of such stuff, whatever it is I don't have it.