User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Aug 2004, 17:53   #1
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
My abandoned PA love child

Some years ago I started a project to make a full GUI frontend for Planetarion. The idea being to make it as close to a modern real-time game as possible by parsing the data from the game and animating the results including real-time battle simulations based of the battle logs etc.

Unfortunately the graphics guy disappeared off the face of the planet and as I'm not much of an artist the project was scrapped.

I figured for amusment purposes I would post the project & source code. The project was done in C/C++ and never made it past the main menu, but it'll give you a rough idea of what I was aiming at.

Planetarion Graphical Interface ~918Kb

Warning to those that would try to read my spagetti code, I'm not usually known for being diligent at commenting my work.
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 21:37   #2
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: My abandoned PA love child

And i though you were american all these years..
I prefered your old avatar.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 21:40   #3
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

All in some source file and uses an old version of DirectX?!??!!
that's what i did for uni and i got a first. shocking the standards of marking these days.

why do you need a frigging artist? you've got mspaint right?
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2004, 11:48   #4
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
And i though you were american all these years..
I prefered your old avatar.
I can't see why as I've been advocating for years that I'm an Aussie (though clearly not as insane as Shai-Gar).

No-one seemed to get the old avatar and I got tired of looking at it. Anyway, Harper is my hero

Quote:
that's what i did for uni and i got a first. shocking the standards of marking these days.

why do you need a frigging artist? you've got mspaint right?
I did say rough, my development cycle always starts first by making it work then worrying about optimisations later. Also, when I say I can't draw I mean it, it takes me an hour just to do a decent stick figure

Why spend 90% of my dev time drawing crappy pictures when I could have someone else do it for me.
Unread 8 Sep 2004, 19:47   #5
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: My abandoned PA love child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
DirectX 7 rules (tm)

(It was the first version of DirectX to officialy support Visual Basic, and at the same time the last version with DirectDraw in it, so double-)
Unread 9 Sep 2004, 02:45   #6
Chippeh
Void of Sarcasm

Chippeh is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe you could post this on PD? Might be interesting for the current players who don't happen to look here.
Unread 27 Sep 2004, 20:50   #7
Gemima

I'm a Graphics Designer, i would love to help you make the interface and additional graphics of high standard compared to the current graphics!

e-mail me at [email protected] if your interested.

Tim Vickers.