User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Jun 2005, 19:04   #1
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough
Spying on Technology

I just came up with an idea: what if you could steal technology?

I'm not talking about taking it away at other planets and bring them back to tick 1, I'm just talking about some kind of Spy: he looks how a certain planet produces e.g. heavy class ships. Then he knows how and he reports it back to his base. Then you have the technology as well.

Of cource these ships shouldn't be very effective. Let's say you may have a maximum of 100, each a chance of stealing research of 1% or something (don't pay too much attention to this number, it is probably not balanced). To prevent these ships from getting killed at every occasion, they'd have extremely strong armour.

The stolen research should be completely random. Of cource, you cannot steal research the target planet hasn't got yet, and you can't steal Heavy Cargo Transfers VIII when you only have HCT II. (So the first research in the row you haven't got yet.)

You tell me. Is this again one of my obscene ideas, or a possible feature for future PA rounds?
Lοki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 19:06   #2
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Spying on Technology

been suggested before try the search button
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 19:18   #3
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough

I searched for "technology" in titles, but after reading the two results i decided it hadn't been discussed yet...
Lοki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 19:34   #4
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

i see i am also unable to find the link, but i am pretty sure it has been suggested before
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 20:01   #5
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Maybe as a covert op, whereby a successful op would take a few ticks off the time it takes you to research something that another planet has already researched. Perhaps to make this not too powerful a cap could be put on how much time is taken off the research for you, say 20%.
Unread 19 Jun 2005, 15:37   #6
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I quite like the idea, needs a little work but would be a good thing as a way to shorten research times.
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 06:40   #7
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Link
I'm not talking about taking it away at other planets and bring them back to tick 1, I'm just talking about some kind of Spy: he looks how a certain planet produces e.g. heavy class ships. Then he knows how and he reports it back to his base. Then you have the technology as well.
So, i am a leet Xan, and i Covert Op a Cathaar and nab his Capital Class Hulls research. This means, i can build Cathaar CR (ahhaa) Plus my Peacekeepers thus making them less vulnerable to Dragons? Or using this Covert Op (or whatever) on a Terran, to build Syren to make it expensive to defend against me with Bombers?

If this is how it would work, then it results in alot of problems. The most notable one, is that it gives players "the best of both worlds" - or in this case, players can choose to build only what they want from any of the four races. It would make race selection nigh on pointless if you could, eventually, gain the technology to build what you want. It would result in Super CO fleets, or unstoppable BA fleets etc. If these home-built ships were generally weaker, then a balance between making them good enough to be useful and the aforementioned point has to be struck, in addition to making them balanced with all of the other ships (which is hard enough, i might add).

The suggestion of reducing the research time - as opposed to gaining the technology itself - sounds like a much more interesting development. It would be pretty pointless at the beginning i would imagine (as eveyone has next to no technology, and Cathaars would get bombarded by people trying to reduce their tech time ), but there is good strategical potential in the suggestion.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote