User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 14:13   #1
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Henman

Losing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3829047.stm

Although as I type this, he's broken back...
Still not great though.
Clearly 2005 will be Henman's year
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 14:16   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Henman

It's best he goes out now, so he doesn't build up any unrealistic expectations.

You know, like the England football team.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 14:18   #3
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
You know, like the England football team.
You mean we ARENT goin to win?
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 14:19   #4
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

England have a better chance than henman, clearly.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 14:19   #5
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

He'll choke, he's just carrying on the tradition of English sportsmen breaking under pressure. Ahh what a fine tradition, those halcyon days of failure.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 14:24   #6
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncubusGod
He'll choke, he's just carrying on the tradition of English sportsmen breaking under pressure. Ahh what a fine tradition, those halcyon days of failure.
Rugby world cup 2003.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 14:27   #7
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quazi Starbucks is an unknown quantity at this point

COME ON TIM!!!!
Quazi Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 14:54   #8
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Rugby world cup 2003.
Every other World Cup ever (apart from 1966).

Every other European Championship ever. (Oh such great penalties)

Pretty much every Wimbledon since the 60's.

Most Olympics events...most Motor Racing events...most Winter Sports events...most Swimming events...

Blah blah blah your a country who chokes.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 14:54   #9
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Rugby.
oh no. oh god no, dont win at rugby

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 14:57   #10
Zharkov
Twang Twang

Zharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud of

Quote:
Every other World Cup ever (apart from 1966).

Every other European Championship ever. (Oh such great penalties)

Pretty much every Wimbledon since the 60's.

Most Olympics events...most Motor Racing events...most Winter Sports events...most Swimming events...

yeah, if our sportsmen were mentally stronger we'd win EVERYTHING for sure!
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 15:01   #11
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
oh no. oh god no, dont win at rugby
eh iirc the rugby wc is the 3rd biggest event in the world.

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 15:08   #12
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

we didn't do too badly in the cricket...

And Henman is crap.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 15:14   #13
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Yeah, I know - its shit isnt it
I thought it was just "us" who thought that - didnt realise we were mocked by the rest of the world as a result!

Although I think rather than "choking" we just dont have the "winning spirit" - we're too bloody polite!
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 15:15   #14
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zharkov
yeah, if our sportsmen were mentally stronger we'd win EVERYTHING for sure!
Maybe they wouldnt be the perennial losers they are today. Reviled around the world.
Though your past actions colours the alligences of people somewhat.

I dunno if your all too polite, Im not sure what it is. Maybe it was all those years of CoE emotional repression. Y'know that may have been coded into your genes now.
I call it 'John Major' syndrome.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 15:29   #15
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin
eh iirc the rugby wc is the 3rd biggest event in the world.
?
What world?

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 15:51   #16
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Henman's a twat.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:01   #17
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
we didn't do too badly in the cricket...

And Henman is crap.
we're yet to win a cricket world cup
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:06   #18
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

Quote:
?
What world?
not the virtual in which you live.

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:16   #19
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

hohoho

but by no stretch of imagination surely is rugby world cup the third biggest competition. For **** sake, Scotland are the 8th or 9th best in the world at it, the field isnt exactly strong.

Look at the sizes of the nations involved. Australia, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, New Zealand. I guess France, England are decent sized (i know nothing of South Africa). These are the nations that reached the quarters. And guess what? With the possible subsitution of Italy for someone (probably scotland), theyll be the quarter finalists next time, guarenteed.

Hell, even american sport finals are bigger. The stanley, the series, the superbowl. Even if they do come around every year

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:20   #20
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Olympics
Football World Cup
Rugby World Cup

You cant argue with the statistics Deffeh.

Edit: Not sure if the Athletics World Championships come in ahead of Rugby World Cup.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:20   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

He probably meant by viewing audience or something which is still probably bollocks.

I presume Olympics & Football World Cup are #1/#2 (not sure which is higher), no idea what is third. Could well be Rugby. I'm not sure that many people watch the Superbowl outside the United States (at least, not compared to the football world cup or olympics, etc).
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:22   #22
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Henman won! Against all odds! Yay! He's a national hero! Hurrah! etc...
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:22   #23
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

I can and will. The Rugby world cup is not as prestigious or important event as The Superbowl for a start. The stanley cup finals and the world series probably too although they lose a little in not having "one final".

Rugby is the most tactically inept sport there is. Its not really much wonder that half the world doesnt play it with any competitive vigour.

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:22   #24
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

how do judge that the SB is more important than the rugby WC?

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:25   #25
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Its not really much wonder that half the world doesnt play it with any competitive vigour.
Surely you can say that about most American sports as well.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:28   #26
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Its been about for longer.
More people watch it.
Its more prestigious
It has events that go with it (Half time show, etc. Nobody cares about the half time show in any other event)
There are more teams that can win it
There are more recognisable "heroes" to have come from it. Even if you dont watch NFL, you know some of the biggest ever american football names. When it comes to history of players in Rugby, who the hell? Jonah Lomu. Maybe. See, i dont even know if he ever starred in a final.

I dont even need to add in that its a better sport, as thats unfortunately only my opinion and not recognised fact as of yet

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:28   #27
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Henman's a twat.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:30   #28
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Surely you can say that about most American sports as well.
Indeed you can, although baseball is big in japan, and most south american countries. basketball was/(is?) big in russia. Icehockey is big in Scandanavia (some of the best players are scandanavian, forsberg et al). We have NFL Europe which i go to see but its just pish so i wont give you that.

However, america is such a huge country that theres more participants / viewers / fans than rugby's scatterring of countries.

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:33   #29
JC
lolly roffle

Quote:
There are more recognisable "heroes" to have come from it. Even if you dont watch NFL, you know some of the biggest ever american football names.
I know a little about most sports but i dont know any NFL players, nor do i care about them.

The Superbowl involves 1 country. A World Cup involves 32 or so countries across the world.

The length of time its been around or the fact that some cheer leaders or whatever dance at half time has nothing to do with which is the bigger competition.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:39   #30
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Quote:
More people watch it.
Its more prestigious
It has events that go with it (Half time show, etc. Nobody cares about the half time show in any other event)
There are more teams that can win it
There are more recognisable "heroes" to have come from it. Even if you dont watch NFL, you know some of the biggest ever american football names. When it comes to history of players in Rugby, who the hell? Jonah Lomu. Maybe. See, i dont even know if he ever starred in a final.
what i read is, that the SB is the bigger party but not the bigger competition.

i think outside the USA ppl are just interested prolly in one NFL game, the final.

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:40   #31
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
More people watch it.
You could well be right, but do you have any evidence for this?

Rugby is a middle class fag game anyway.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:44   #32
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

id have to agree with the NFL thing. Not only is NFl watched by a large proportion of the USA (a country of 300 million people). Assume only 1/3rd watch it... thats still 100 million. NFL is fairly popular in continental europe and some east asian countries. I watch it, and so do a fair few people i know in this country (infact i know a lot of people who will watch it).

In europe rugby isnt particularly popular to watch. It is watched by a fair few people, but nothing on the scale of a game like football..

like they say...

Football is a gentlemans game, watched by thugs (although to be honest most footballers are thugs)

Rugby is a thugs game, watched by gentlemen.

We all know britain is full of pikey scummy thugs. So not enough people watch rugby.

American football is enjoyed throughout the country, and with the half time show and the prestige and popularity in a fair few countries abroad i wouldnt be surprised to see if it attracted more viewers.

I'm applying this to the superbowl vs rugby final

Last edited by Zar; 22 Jun 2004 at 16:50.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:45   #33
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Quote:
However, america is such a huge country that theres more participants / viewers / fans than rugby's scatterring of countries.
that is why i think rugby is the bigger competition. you just dont play it seriously and professional in one country you do it in atleast 8 or 9 countries in which the sport rugby is a national sport.

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:48   #34
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar
American football is enjoyed throughout the country, and with the half time show and the prestige and popularity in a fair few countries abroad i wouldnt be surprised to see if it attracted more viewers
i think it is just one game, the final you describe. the rest is for europe (/germany) mainly unknwon and unineteresting.

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:50   #35
JC
lolly roffle

In terms of viewing figures for the final NFL probably runs football close, but nobody watches all the other games.

Myself and Lupin are talking about global competitions, the NFL isnt one.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:51   #36
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
In terms of viewing figures for the final NFL probably runs football close, but nobody watches all the other games.

Myself and Lupin are talking about global competitions, the NFL isnt one.
no no - as far as i know the football world cup finals attracts more than a billion people. Superbowl doesnt come anywhere near this

e 1998 FIFA World Cup™ Final between France and Brazil was viewed by one billion people, far exceeding the nearly 140 million viewers of the NFL Super Bowl each year.

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/pr/release/preu031201.html

Imagine what this was like 2 years ago (6 years after 1998 - more tv's more popular game, larger world population etc..). Also in another 2 years (even more tv's in world, larger population, even more popular game)

As for Rugby:

The 2003 figures also represent more than half the confirmed global television audience for the final last month. Initiative, the international media agency that specialises in collating data, reports that 22 million watched the game worldwide.

When Jonny Wilkinson drop-kicked England to victory over Australia in the final, there were 15 million viewers in Britain. The match produced an average audience of 12.7 million.

http://www.scrum.com/rugbyworldcup/n...p?newsid=22731

Showing that the UK constitutes almost half of the rugby final viewing. It has no where near the size of the superbowl

Last edited by Zar; 22 Jun 2004 at 17:01.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 16:53   #37
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Football is the world's most popular game (in terms of spectating at least) by a large margin. I'm not including "running" as a game as that's just dumb.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 17:00   #38
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I watched the superbowl this year. There were 800 million viewers or something. It was a fairly big increase.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 17:01   #39
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Football is the world's most popular game (in terms of spectating at least) by a large margin. I'm not including "running" as a game as that's just dumb.
I hear breathing is now a game as everyone does it and it's enjoyable and some people are better at it than others like those polynesian divers who can hold their breathe for four minutes and are like super fit and that's more popular than football so there ha i win lol.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 17:01   #40
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

Henman won

and England will beat Portugal on THursday!

YEY
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 17:03   #41
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Im also trying to argue that theres simply not enough competitive nations in rugby to make it a big deal. the USA could expand baseball to a world cup (as they are trying to do) and Japan, Venezeula, Mexico, Colombia etc could all play and play well - there are many decent non american baseball players. USA would probably still win mind, but it doesnt mean theres no need for an international competition in it. Ice hockey is played internationally and although it generally boils down to Canada / USA there are quite a few decent nations.

The Rugby world cup final isnt a big deal. There arent enough real competitive matches, or teams. In fact, in the whole tournament, there was only one shock - Australia beating New Zealand - and even then - "former champions and hosts beat all blacks" isnt exactly South Korea knocking out Italy, the Ducks sweeping the Wings, etc etc.

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 17:06   #42
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

no doubt the NFL final is one of the biggest sports events on this planet. however this doesnt mean that the NFL itself is a bigger competition than the rugby world cup.

edit: everyone should explain his defintion of competition i guess or we'll just continue in riding the carusel.

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 17:09   #43
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

More people watch it, its a more globally attractive event, there are bigger names, its more prestigious, its got more history, its more of an event. More teams can win it.

Dont really see your point. Thanks anyway

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 17:12   #44
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Quote:
Thanks anyway
hail your ****ing arrogance, i dont have a problem with ppl not agreeing with my opinion, but you can stick your "thanks anyway" in your parochial asshole.

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 17:12   #45
JonnyBGood
Banned

A club competition is not the same as an international competition deffeh. Many teams can and have won the Heineken Cup.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 17:12   #46
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Quote:
The USA could expand baseball to a world cup (as they are trying to do) and Japan, Venezeula, Mexico, Colombia etc could all play and play well - there are many decent non american baseball players. USA would probably still win mind, but it doesnt mean theres no need for an international competition in it.
As far as my memory serves... didn't Japan beat the USA a few years ago? Was this in the olympics? I can't remember.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 17:15   #47
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar
we're yet to win a cricket world cup
we're still not doing too badly.
the last two test series went very well for us. As did the series against South Africa.

We're nowhere near as bad as we have been for years.

We'll have to see how we do against Australia and how we do in the one day games to properly comment though...

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 17:18   #48
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Rowing :britain:

Rugby is a large sport, it's not tactically inept Mr Deffeh.

Tim Henman is not a bad tennis player, or a twat, or whatever you people said.

I don't know any NFL players.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 17:18   #49
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
A club competition is not the same as an international competition deffeh. Many teams can and have won the Heineken Cup.
Pishtosh, minor detail. Baseball and Icehockey have Canadian teams, does that mean the whole thing is still "club" and not "international" ?

Look at the size of California, Florida, or New York.

Then look at the size of the british isles - which boast 4 teams - 4 of the top 8 teams in the world in rugby!

Just because its a competition between States, and not Countries, doesnt mean a thing. Scotland to England is less significant than Washington to Texas.

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 17:22   #50
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Rugby is a large sport, it's not tactically inept Mr Deffeh.
Yeah? Explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar
As far as my memory serves... didn't Japan beat the USA a few years ago? Was this in the olympics? I can't remember.
Dont know. I only see a game or two a week, and in Britain theres no community really so theres no debate. Baseball and cricket arent sports i think you really go wild for though :/ Both are just kinda slow, casual, and a way to waste a day. A home run is pretty cool, and im sure someone squirts when they see six more numbers added on to a total (which usually doesnt make much difference because theres so few close matches where a few runs decide a game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin
hail your ****ing arrogance, i dont have a problem with ppl not agreeing with my opinion, but you can stick your "thanks anyway" in your parochial asshole.
And i dont like people not arguing with me. Youve yet to state your case but say "no ur rong"