User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 18 Jul 2004, 17:56   #1
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The Olympics

Does anyone give a shit? Really?

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 18:02   #2
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: The Olympics

I enjoy watching the Olympics, its just a pity we dont seem to have much of an athletics team this year. Nobody seems to have come through over the past 5-10 years to replace Christie, Gunnel, Jackson, Regis etc.
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 18:03   #3
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

Is the Olympics even happening?
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 18:04   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

No, it seems totally pointless.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 18:13   #5
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

it seems like another one of these things that must have meant more in days gone by when there was more of a "community" feel to the world. Certainly the significance of the event goes down and down the less people care about it.

Though i think we're becoming apathetic in general.

Unread 18 Jul 2004, 18:16   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Maybe. It just seems to lack any focus. In the football/rugby/etc world cup there is a definite winner which is decided by one key match which everyone can focus on & hype up.

The Olympics seems to be just a lot of random events 90% of which no-one cares about or is a slight variation on some almost identical piece of crap.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 18:20   #7
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Unless your a runner or a sprinter, or a high jumper, its very ****ing hard for the public to get excited about such events. The only thing that tells me whether a run was good or bad is the time shown on the screen. Swimming is just deathly dull. Individual quests for self betterment and glory dont really make good tv.

Unread 18 Jul 2004, 18:20   #8
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

The most amusing thing at the moment, is before these olympics start, each day USA is having one of the medals they won at the sydney olympics taken back.

Today the 400 meter's relay team are about to have all their golds taken off them for example.

So basically America LOAN out the gold medals from the olympics until the IAAF catches them doing drugs and takes them back, so no-one is a winner :P

fun innit.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 18:24   #9
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough

the olympics used to be a big deal.

Then they got lazy and decided it would be easier to stagger it out every 2 years instead of all at once in 4. Now it's a just another event because the frequency has made it seem far less interesting.
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 18:28   #10
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsnake
the olympics used to be a big deal.

Then they got lazy and decided it would be easier to stagger it out every 2 years instead of all at once in 4. Now it's a just another event because the frequency has made it seem far less interesting.
I think thats a small factor. I just cant find myself getting excited about any of these events no matter how often they are played or what. Theres not a swimming, track or field event that i would possibly dedicate my time categorically to see. Frankly the profile is so low that aside from basketball, i wouldnt be able to tell you with any certainly what else is an olympic sport. Oh, rowing. "whoopee"

Unread 18 Jul 2004, 18:31   #11
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
The most amusing thing at the moment, is before these olympics start, each day USA is having one of the medals they won at the sydney olympics taken back.

Today the 400 meter's relay team are about to have all their golds taken off them for example.

So basically America LOAN out the gold medals from the olympics until the IAAF catches them doing drugs and takes them back, so no-one is a winner :P

fun innit.
I think we can safely replace American atheletes with every athelete who achieved anything in the past three decades. Personally I don't see anything wrong with performance enhancing drugs though.
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 18:32   #12
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
I think thats a small factor. I just cant find myself getting excited about any of these events no matter how often they are played or what. Theres not a swimming, track or field event that i would possibly dedicate my time categorically to see. Frankly the profile is so low that aside from basketball, i wouldnt be able to tell you with any certainly what else is an olympic sport. Oh, rowing. "whoopee"
When it used to be about the amatuers it was a good watch, these days america buys it's gold medals, it's so generic to watch overdrugged overpaid oversponsored athelete's go around destroying people who do this sport for a pasttime not their life's profession.

When america stops buying gold medals then perhaps I'll watch again.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 18:34   #13
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
When it used to be about the amatuers it was a good watch, these days america buys it's gold medals, it's so generic to watch overdrugged overpaid oversponsored athelete's go around destroying people who do this sport for a pasttime not their life's profession.

When america stops buying gold medals then perhaps I'll watch again.

Not just the yanks. We're fielding a couple of American track runners iirc. Dunno what distance though.

Unread 18 Jul 2004, 19:34   #14
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
it's so generic to watch overdrugged overpaid oversponsored athelete's go around destroying people who do this sport for a pasttime not their life's profession.
You are exaggerating it all greatly there. A few Americans have been banned this year but its hardly a trend over the last 10 years or so. Half of the Americans that have been linked with this new drugs scandel havent even posted positive on any tests anyway.
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 19:42   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Oh, rowing. "whoopee"
Rowing is a truly excellent sport.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 19:43   #16
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

the olimpics is just for greeks to say thay achieved something at some point, and wern't always fat lazy losers.
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 19:46   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
the olimpics is just for greeks to say thay achieved something at some point, and wern't always fat lazy losers.
What?

In modern terms, that makes no sense.

In classical terms, that makes EVEN LESS SENSE.
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 20:00   #18
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

vampire lestat probably made the least factual post ive ever seen

Unread 18 Jul 2004, 20:15   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
vampire lestat probably made the least factual post ive ever seen
What's this Euro 2k4 thing I keep on hearing about?
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 21:29   #20
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

i remember when there was some dutch guy winning olympic gold on 'jumping with horses' the last day of the tournament. don't think there was anyone in the country who knew he was even competing.
so nobody really cared.
the more publicity something has, the more value it gets.

[off-topic] last time there was a new olympic sport: "trampoline-jumping". holland had some guy who was good at that apparently, so he got a personal sponsor and was on TV often. i still have to chuckle when i think about the moment when he accidentily jumped off it, making a complete fool out of himself and the sport in general.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 21:50   #21
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all

I find it interesting, and theres actually something on TV worth watching, other than all the crap documentaries/soaps that we get nowadays, and that god awful shit on C4 (BB)....
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 23:15   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
[off-topic] last time there was a new olympic sport: "trampoline-jumping".
I hear holland play a sport called 'ball kicking'
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 23:21   #23
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Its not looking good as a "Spectacular" this year. The venues look shit, the organisation seems poor, and there wont be much interest unless the nation youre watching from brings home lots of medals.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 23:30   #24
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road

+++ BREAKING NEWS +++

The Olympics have been canceled because people on the internet don't give a shit

+++ BREAKING NEWS +++
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 11:30   #25
LuxFerum

LuxFerum is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by at0mic.c0w
+++ BREAKING NEWS +++

The Olympics have been canceled because people on the internet don't give a shit

+++ BREAKING NEWS +++
oehauehoaehoaehaouhaouheaoehaoeoa
LuxFerum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 14:11   #26
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

For irony's sake, this thread should have been created by Acropolis.
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 14:54   #27
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

There's a certain something to countries that are competing for the top medals spots. That's exciting.

And I would guess that for very small countries, they can rally behind a few heroes that they can put out that can compete on the olympic stage, and follow those people.

But for countries in the middle there's something of an existential crisis.

Anyway, here in America we don't like the World Cup stuff. It's a 'boring' 'pointless' 'waste of time' and we simply don't care about it.

bottom line is it's easy to think something you suck at is stupid.
Quote:
Unless your a runner or a sprinter, or a high jumper, its very ****ing hard for the public to get excited about such events. The only thing that tells me whether a run was good or bad is the time shown on the screen. Swimming is just deathly dull. .
That's completely true. All forms of racing completely bore me unless I can shoot others in the race with a heat-seeking turtle shell.

Swimming and sprinting are horrid, gymnastics and diving are mediocre, and wrestling is exciting so they don't show it ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
In classical terms, that makes EVEN LESS SENSE.
Cause classically, the Greeks were a bunch of fat lazy losers who never accomplished anything?
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 17:19   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
Cause classically, the Greeks were a bunch of fat lazy losers who never accomplished anything?
What?
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 17:21   #29
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of

all the events should be done naked. like it was back in the day.
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 17:22   #30
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
What?
why does his statement make no sense 'in classical terms'?
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 17:23   #31
JC
lolly roffle

The Greeks werent lazy back in the day, they were the most advanced people of their time.
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 17:37   #32
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
The Greeks werent lazy back in the day, they were the most advanced people of their time.
And conquered most of the world at one point, too.
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 17:38   #33
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Heeeectttttttttooooooooooor
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 18:03   #34
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
his statement implied that the classical greeks weren't fat lazy losers who never accomplished anything.

the statement that classical greeks weren't lazy and were very advanced does nothing to contradict that implication.
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 18:10   #35
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
his statement implied that the classical greeks weren't fat lazy losers who never accomplished anything.

the statement that classical greeks weren't lazy and were very advanced does nothing to contradict that implication.
read it again
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 18:10   #36
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:

Shut the **** up you moron
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 18:16   #37
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
read it again
Quote:
'weren't always fat lazy losers'

says to me

"they are fat lazy losers now, but weren't before"

what am i missing?
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 18:17   #38
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

says to me

what am i missing?
his point is, or looks damned like being, that the reason for the olympics is so that the greeks can perpetrate this 'lie'. The actual claim of the post is that the greeks are and always have been fat lazy losers.
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 18:23   #39
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:

says to me

what am i missing?
That the olympics was a classical event. Hence 'in classical terms' refers to the initial conception of the olympiad.
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 18:24   #40
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
his point is, or looks damned like being, that the reason for the olympics is so that the greeks can perpetrate this 'lie'. The actual claim of the post is that the greeks are and always have been fat lazy losers.
i interpreted it as saying they are reveling in lost glory.

'grandpa takes us to football games every fall so he can tell us about the time he scored six touchdowns in one game' etc.

anyway.
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 18:33   #41
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: The Olympics

I find the Olympics (or sports in general) to be more watchable than 95% of everything else on TV. The Olympic coverage in the US isn't very good, however, as they jump around to too many venues--mostly just to show Americans competing, or the finals, or the "human interest" crap about how some athlete's mother's dog is dying of cancer or some such.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 18:41   #42
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
or the "human interest" crap about how some athlete's mother's dog is dying of cancer or some such.
if there was some focus group at some point that said "Gee, that dog-cancer story really just made my olympics this year" I would like to have their names and addresses so I can find them and kill them and then be elected President-for-Life by the throngs of supporters I would incur.
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 20:22   #43
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
i ment they are living a lie (ie that they are still cool, however they are now a bunch of fat lazy losers called bobalopodos), they used to be (never ruled the world tho, think byzantine (sp) empire).

however if everything i say that can be taken to mean several stupid things triggers this scale of a discussion i'd better start making a bit more sense...
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 08:09   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
i ment they are living a lie
o rly.

And re: the empire, it was a bit of an exaggeration, but Alexander the Great did pretty well
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 14:13   #45
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

since when is winning a football event an achievement, it's like saying we (the english) achieved something in 1966, it's just kicking an inflated pigs (or is it sheeps?) bladder about a bit of grass, i mean come on.
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 14:58   #46
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
since when is winning a football event an achievement, it's like saying we (the english) achieved something in 1966, it's just kicking an inflated pigs (or is it sheeps?) bladder about a bit of grass, i mean come on.
which nobody in the country has ever claimed as an achievement am i rite
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 17:04   #47
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
As opposed to?

Mathematics? Literature? It's just making marks on tree derivatives!

The olympics? It's just running around like 5 year olds.

Invading another country? It's just walking around waving pointy sticks.
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 17:22   #48
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
As opposed to?

Mathematics? Literature? It's just making marks on tree derivatives!

The olympics? It's just running around like 5 year olds.

Invading another country? It's just walking around waving pointy sticks.
you forgot philosophy and architecture and civilisation and all that
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 17:27   #49
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
you forgot philosophy and architecture and civilisation and all that
They're just putting stuff on top of other stuff.
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 17:44   #50
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dastardley_chihuahua
all the events should be done naked. like it was back in the day.
Even the mens Sumo wrestling?
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote