User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Jul 2004, 18:53   #1
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road
Yu Gi Oh!

Ok im sad, I admit it.

It's time to Duel!

Anyone play the card game or watch the Tv show?
I am finding the card game quite interesting

Please dont flame me :/

Last edited by Dark-Strider; 15 Jul 2004 at 19:34.
Dark-Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 19:26   #2
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Yu Gi Oh!

What?

Why the stupid lines in the middle of your post as well?
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 19:28   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

My brother... he watches the shows and has a playstation game.
Sad...

I can give you his MSN tho, so you can annoy him when he's online.
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 20:07   #4
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Movie is coming out soon, I used to watch it until sky started jumping all around with the episodes around battle city.

As far as things go it's a decent watch, bit cheesy at times, I have the really really poorly quality tested PS game of Yu-Gi-Oh but I heard they did much better things with the ps2 releases thank ****.

As far as it goes for a card game of sort it's fun and amusing to play in a nice MTG challenging sort of way without being too MTG geek and too Pokemon noob. (It doesn't really borrow anything from MTG either unlike the pokemon card game which was MTG for tards).

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 20:45   #5
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
It doesn't really borrow anything from MTG either
except all of its concepts.

Example: Yu-gi_oh!'s "Root Water" looks identical to MtG's "Rootwater Thief", except the latter came first and didn't exist in any prior mythology or whatnot. It was a completely stolen concept (there are plenty more but this is the most glaring i've seen so far)
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 20:49   #6
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
except all of its concepts.

Example: Yu-gi_oh!'s "Root Water" looks identical to MtG's "Rootwater Thief", except the latter came first and didn't exist in any prior mythology or whatnot. It was a completely stolen concept (there are plenty more but this is the most glaring i've seen so far)
originally it hadn't stolen any concepts.

As with most games though that have been out for several years, they will start either stealing stuff or putting in shite concepts.

I'm talking about series 1 stuff here.

(also the card drawing dynamics, polymerization, field changing, that actual attacking dynamics and stuff are quite quite different but then again if you are going to pick similarities out that you could easily say oh wow poker and bridge are the same cause they use the same deck of cards or shite like that then I'm not going to bother debating the finer points of this with you).

p.s. MTG got really really shite after a couple years and startnig stealing concepts for new cards but then again I'm prizing things on the originality, Pokemon being an exact copy of MTG for noobs and Yu-Gi-Oh not being comparitive to MTG except for the fact they are cards and they might use similar names on some cards cause oh wow that's litigous

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit

Unread 15 Jul 2004, 20:52   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
As far as it goes for a card game of sort it's fun and amusing to play in a nice MTG challenging sort of way without being too MTG geek and too Pokemon noob. (It doesn't really borrow anything from MTG either unlike the pokemon card game which was MTG for tards).
Everyone needs to play the Babylon 5 card game, now unfortunately deceased. I made what was literally the best deck ever for that.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 20:52   #8
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
originally it hadn't stolen any concepts.

As with most games though that have been out for several years, they will start either stealing stuff or putting in shite concepts.

I'm talking about series 1 stuff here.

(also the card drawing dynamics, polymerization, field changing, that actual attacking dynamics and stuff are quite quite different but then again if you are going to pick similarities out that you could easily say oh wow poker and bridge are the same cause they use the same deck of cards or shite like that then I'm not going to bother debating the finer points of this with you).

p.s. MTG got really really shite after a couple years and startnig stealing concepts for new cards but then again I'm prizing things on the originality, Pokemon being an exact copy of MTG for noobs and Yu-Gi-Oh not being comparitive to MTG except for the fact they are cards and they might use similar names on some cards cause oh wow that's litigous
my familiarity with Yu Gi Oh! is, i have to admit, from the slanted prespective of a cynical magic player. i'm not especially familiar with the game, only the 'noteworthy' items of outright plagiarism i am informed of. as such, im not familiar with any particular set. There was a good essay a while ago on t'internet somewhere about all the ways YGO was blatantly ripping off magic but i truly cant be arsed to go look.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2004, 20:53   #9
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Everyone needs to play the Babylon 5 card game, now unfortunately deceased. I made what was literally the best deck ever for that.
Please tell me it was a deck full of Garibaldi with different angry face poses.

Unread 15 Jul 2004, 20:58   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Please tell me it was a deck full of Garibaldi with different angry face poses.
Minbari Drakh Military, I'm afraid.

I did have a gimmick deck which won a tournament (I was making a Human Shadow deck, and there are a LOT of Shadow cards, and got bored because it was late at night and I wanted to go to sleep. So I didn't trim anything. It was at least twice the size of a usual deck. THRILLING ANECDOTE OVER), but it didn't have any garibaldis I'm afraid.

[edit]

Rules and card database!
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 13:36   #11
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

i played it a couple of months ago, but after time it gets more and more boring.

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 16:27   #12
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

oh yu gi
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 17:53   #13
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

babylon 5, wasnt that the game where you could just stall forever?
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 19:00   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
In what sense?
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 19:08   #15
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

all of these silly games suck, though i am something of a dab hand at mtg, im bored of it now.
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 19:48   #16
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
Sounds not too unlike the series :P

Unread 16 Jul 2004, 19:49   #17
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
all of these silly games suck, though i am something of a dab hand at mtg, im bored of it now.
The microprose game of it was great.

Unread 16 Jul 2004, 20:04   #18
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

it wasnt mtg in the proper sense though, you could win the whole game with a mediocre deck
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 20:11   #19
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

J-Kama-Ka-C is on a distinguished road

Watch the show, Sky needs to finish the Noah Arc arch, and Battle City finals.

Play the card game, rather unsuccessfully since I play with theme/gimmick decks most of the time, but rather polished on all the crazy/broken rules. Do so for free, since I only play online.

Having recently taken up Magic, irl, don't have the cash for YGO cards.

Pokémon TCG, hmm, haven't seen the similarity with Magic yet, but then I've only played old Poké and new Magic...
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 20:13   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

You haven't seen the similarity with magic?

HOW?

I don't play either game and even I saw it.
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 20:39   #21
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

They both use cards..?

Baring in mind it's been about 4 years since I've played the P:TCG... the object was to KO 6 of your opponents pokémon (or make them unable to send out a monster to battle?) the version of spell cards were somewhat simple minded? You could only play them on your turn, removing any chance of chaining... ah, but now I remember what I assume you're pointing at, "energy cards" ? aka, "'tard" "land cards", although the mechanics of which were rather different, seeing as you had to attach it to your pokémon, somewhat futile since you had to discard them once it was KO'd... which happened a good bit seeing how damage was cumulative and retreat costs high...

Or am I missing something strikingly obvious, and more straight ripped, than the psuedo- non tapped - single use - land wannabe energy cards?

Duel Masters is clearly the bigger M:tg swipe?
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 20:43   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

The B5 CCG is the 'most different' of all of them.
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 20:58   #23
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

i dunno, alien vs predator card game was pretty unique. Although i think me and my friends never used the rules properly, it was a lot of fun, with tokens everywhere and building the playing area as you went along.
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 21:02   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

'All of them' being 'the ones I played'.
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 21:04   #25
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

i assumed as much, i never played bablyon 5 though, so who knows! you could be right!
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 21:16   #26
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Read the rules! They're posted above!

On a slightly more 'stupid americans' note, a large part of B5 is player interaction; it's a 4 (or 5) player game, lacks a gamesmaster, and all the rest. Discussions among the players, deals and trades really enhanced how the game was played, and added another skill. There was a rule in tournament play to reflect this, with the chance for players to award eachother points, entirely at the individual players discretion. This usually translated into 'I'll give you a point if you do this thing' or 'That deck is so comically bad, have a sympathy point'. This was a successful rule, loved by all.

Except the americans.

They didn't talk at all during the games, so the rule was removed.
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 21:29   #27
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

scumbag americans! how do they normally play risk?
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 23:41   #28
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

I like top trumps
They rock.
Unread 17 Jul 2004, 00:59   #29
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the only shit card game that makes me look like a loser i play is poker.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jul 2004, 07:46   #30
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
the only shit card game that makes me look like a loser i play is poker.
Yep, and the dealers will still not take a Blue Eyes White Dragon as higher than an Ace you know.

Unread 17 Jul 2004, 10:31   #31
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

I have a Blue Eyes White Dragon, and a dark Magician.

I wanna Red Eyes Black Dragon I think it is.

Also the 3 God Cards would be useful.
And the 5 Parts of Exodia
Unread 17 Jul 2004, 11:11   #32
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

Fortunately for the game balance, the Eygptian god cards have a different colour back, and contain the text "can not be used in a duel" printed where the effects would normally go, heh.
Unread 17 Jul 2004, 12:00   #33
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

do they?

whats the use of them then?
Unread 17 Jul 2004, 12:01   #34
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

also whats the likeliness that you get all 5 parts of Exodia in ure 5 card hand.

Quite rare im guessing.
Unread 17 Jul 2004, 13:26   #35
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

Well you could use them in a casual duel versus your friends, I let one of mine do so, you'll need to look up the abilities though, there's a couple sites around, as well as Deck Master rulings.

For Exodia, each peice is on the Restrict list, meaning you can only have 1 copy in your deck. If youi're running a deck around his instant win, you probably stick to the minimum deck size (40 cards). Probability...erm... 1/40 * 1/39 * 1/38 * 1/37 * 1/36 = fairly small. Then since you draw every turn it's >1/35 for each peice still to get.

Typically you'd use cards like "Sangan" "Witch of the Black Forest" which let you add monster cards from your deck to your hand (both also restricted) or deck thinning cards that let you discard filler cards from your deck, thus increasing your chance of drawing Exodia, etc, etc.

Ack, I just released I've been listening to the "Music to Duel By" soundtrack as I post... damn I'm a card geek :-(
Unread 17 Jul 2004, 20:23   #36
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

cool u sound like a Yu Gi Oh expert

Im a beginner, but I will learn
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 23:11   #37
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

i lost my first 5 duels. But I took most of them to 3 Battles.

Anyway, I discovered my deck is to top ehavy. I have far to many 7-8 star monsters.

And I also need some more Trap cards.
Unread 21 Jul 2004, 02:08   #38
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

You proably don't want to go over more than 5 tribute monsters, unless you have some other cards set up to help get them out easier. A lot of people seem to stick with the high attacker lvl.4s and a two or three 5-6 star monsters 7+ is down to strategy personal taste really.

For a Blue-Eyes, try to get your hands on Kaiser Seahorse, rather than Paladin of the White Dragon.

For Dark Magician or Red Eyes, the similar card Double Coston, to help you summon them.
Unread 21 Jul 2004, 23:58   #39
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

cheers Yu Gi Oh Master