User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Jul 2004, 20:58   #1
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
Me and my neighbour want to play network

our favourite genre is "strategy", however as we both are real gamers, we dont know* any games who are excellent to play in LAN.

could you give me some advises which game to play (shouldnt be too complex a la master orion)?

ps: i have 2.4 ghz / 512 ddr but only a gforce 2 mx, does this matter for strategy games?

* warcraft or starcraft we both dont like.

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2004, 21:01   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Me and my neighbour want to play network

Is playing 'network' like playing nurses?

And do you like real time or turn based games? The genre of 'strategy' is stupidly wide.

(Rise of Nations, TA)
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2004, 21:07   #3
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Is playing 'network' like playing nurses?

And do you like real time or turn based games? The genre of 'strategy' is stupidly wide.

(Rise of Nations, TA)
doesnt matter if it is real time or turn based (i wish ja2 would have a mp-modus).

by strategy i mean games who have the same camera adjustment like the mentioned games.

TA = Total Annhilation!? plz dont use shortings as i often dont know them.

Unread 9 Jul 2004, 21:09   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Total Annihilation indeed.

And what do you mean by 'Camera adjustment'? Top-down-sprite-based is a really strange thing to dislike, unless you're including Warcraft III (which is a substantially different game) in which case I don't know what you mean, because that has a totally different camera system.
Unread 9 Jul 2004, 21:24   #5
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

hmm how should i explain this:

you watch a strategy game from above unlike a shooter which you play from an ego perspective. thats what i would define (vaguely) as a strategy game. (ie bg2 or diablo have nearly the same camera adjustment but they are not strategy games)

i dont like warcraft 3 because of its camera adjustment.

Unread 9 Jul 2004, 21:32   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

That's odd, because the only significant change in the WC3 camera was the switch to 3D; the view didn't really change at all.

It also didn't help that you didn't mention any games you DID like

In the turn based world: Alpha Centauri. Get it anyway.

Rise of Nations and Total Annihilation are probably the best strategy games about, even more so if you ignore Blizzard.
Unread 9 Jul 2004, 21:35   #7
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Total Annihilation.
Unread 9 Jul 2004, 21:40   #8
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Total Annihilation is the best strategy game I've ever played (Still play) online, especially with 500 unit limit and one of the unit packs install, although I've not given Rise of Nations a try yet, that's supposed to be pretty dam good, so go with one of those two.

Last edited by Hicks; 9 Jul 2004 at 21:48.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2004, 21:42   #9
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
It also didn't help that you didn't mention any games you DID like
do you know Sudden Strike? (it is done by a german company thats why i ask)

WC3 i mainly dont like because of its scenario (you know the units are imo just gay)

Unread 9 Jul 2004, 21:46   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Rise of Nations is OK. Try Empire Earth too.

Although they're all based (fundamentally) on Age of Empires (so you might want to try that too)
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2004, 21:46   #11
rageybabey
Shenanigans

rageybabey will become famous soon enoughrageybabey will become famous soon enough

TA or Quake will rock your socks.
Quote:
Originally posted by JC
lolly roffle
rageybabey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2004, 21:54   #12
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

AOE2 is better than most things at most things.

Star Wars:Galactic Battlegrounds (AOE2 with jedi) is a lot of fun if occasionally unbalanced.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2004, 21:57   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Rise of Nations is OK. Try Empire Earth too.

Although they're all based (fundamentally) on Age of Empires (so you might want to try that too)
It depends what you mean by 'Based fundamentally on'. They look pretty similar, there's age advancements, but aside from that there's not that much about them in terms of play style. I really dislike AoE, but I really like RoN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageybabey
TA or Quake will rock your socks.
Aside from something like Quess, I don't think Quake is what he's looking for dear.
Unread 9 Jul 2004, 23:03   #14
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Heroes of Might and Magic II through IV is good an all.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2004, 02:55   #15
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
Heroes of Might and Magic II through IV is good an all.
yeah, they definatley deserve the predicat: "addicitive", sadly my neighbour doesnt like em..

thanks to you all, i am "buying" those games from the internet now.

Unread 10 Jul 2004, 08:28   #16
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Rise Of Nations or Moonbase Commander .. both good
Unread 10 Jul 2004, 09:11   #17
Clunge
Nnneeeiiiggghhh!

Clunge has a spectacular aura aboutClunge has a spectacular aura aboutClunge has a spectacular aura about

I know this isn't a strategy game but GTA2 is amazing over network - me and my mate play it and it gets very addictive
Clunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2004, 09:57   #18
Chippeh
Void of Sarcasm

Chippeh is an unknown quantity at this point

age of mythology
civilization 1/2/3
any of the command and conquer series (orginal, tiberian sun, red alert 1/2, generals)
medieval - total war
Warlords 1/2/3/4
Unread 10 Jul 2004, 10:00   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippeh
civilization 3
any of the command and conquer series (orginal, tiberian sun, red alert 1/2, generals)
He said he wanted to play excellent games, not mediocre ones.
Unread 10 Jul 2004, 12:06   #20
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

red alert 2, total annihilation