User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 5 Dec 2006, 05:51   #1
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Simplistic CSS / HTML Box Problem [IE Only]

I suspect this is stupendously easy but I can't get my head round it at the moment.

So I'm horribly misusing the box model to produce a page which "draws" boxes of different sizes (in this case it's heights) depending on various stats. So imagine producing those graphs they have in the Economist comparing country sizes in population and such.

Anyway the stripped down version of the page is here :
http://www.harriscrew.com/~dante/stripped.html
http://www.harriscrew.com/~dante/stripped2.html
http://www.harriscrew.com/~dante/stripped3.html
(all the same content, just with minor changes to see examples of the same problem)

The CSS is in the page. I know this won't work in anything but IE so don't even bother, that's not the concern at the moment.

What I'm trying to do is to get the "odd box" to start a new line completely instead of being slotted in wherever it'll fit. Obviously what you see is going to depend on a range of things and just in case you don't get what I mean here's a screen shot :
http://www.harriscrew.com/~dante/shot.jpg (the bolded item is the one I've got a problem with, obviously). I presume I could force in a paragraph break (or whatever) but as this is all done dynamically I want to know if there's a way of achieving it through changing just the style sheet. Similarly, splitting them into multiple DIVs isn't really an option what what I'm doing.

You ignore the links and the underlying content, that's all generated elsewhere - which is why the HTML is a bit horrific (there's about 8k errors, don't worry about that, I've c+p most of this from elsewhere so it's not going to make much sense). I just want to create a new "row" - without creating a new DIV, if that makes sense. To use an analogy with text, I want to put in the equivalent of a <br> I guess.

Any ideas? Apologies for the incoherence, it's late etc...

Last edited by Dante Hicks; 5 Dec 2006 at 06:07.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2006, 12:37   #2
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Simplistic CSS / HTML Box Problem [IE Only]

From what I can tell, the entire problem is indeed that it's one big mess of invalid HTML; the display as you intend does work in Internet Explorer, but only in Quirks Mode, because you're setting dimensions for an inline element, which isn't allowed. Under such circumstances, it's pretty hard to give a real solution, because it's a matter of adding more bugs or faulty solutions in the hopes that MSIE will misinterpret them to provide the output you want.

The problem is likely caused because inline elements specifically do not start on a new line, so IE is trying to fit in 'columns' where it can, and the bolded one is exactly small enough to fit between two 'lines'. You could try entering an empty container in before it with a certain height, such as <div style='height: 10em;'></div>, which is a horrible solution, but would at least force new 'lines'. You may need to fiddle with the height setting to get whatever works.

Alternatively, you could use tables for displaying tabular data, which would probably work better.

Last edited by Leshy; 5 Dec 2006 at 12:43.
Leshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2006, 16:19   #3
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Simplistic CSS / HTML Box Problem [IE Only]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Alternatively, you could use tables for displaying tabular data, which would probably work better.
True.

Thanks for the help though. I appreciate what I'm doing is inherently horrible but it's something I knocked up very quickly to show someone something.

edit : To explain slightly more fully, I am trying to display multiple levels of a heirarchy simultaneously, with each object being a different size. And inside each object are a group of child objects which are similarly differently sized. I want to be able to switch between levels by selecting each object but couldn't think of an easy way of doing this using valid HTML.

Last edited by Dante Hicks; 5 Dec 2006 at 16:33.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote