User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 25 Nov 2002, 03:05   #1
BuddhistPunk

BuddhistPunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Winston Churchill - Greatest Briton

Well after 5 weeks of television programmes and 2 million+ votes, Winston Churchill was voted the greatest briton ever.

Do you agree, do you disagree, explain your opinion.
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 08:13   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
It was obviously the only real choice, I agree with it, I don't think it needs justifying. Do you?
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 08:17   #3
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
William the Conqueror would be my choice
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 08:18   #4
vampy
bound & gagged

vampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud of
Compared to some of the others 'in the running', at least it's someone sensible.

I still don't believe they voted a fictional character in.
vampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 08:19   #5
vampy
bound & gagged

vampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by xtrasyn
William the Conqueror would be my choice
He was French
vampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 08:21   #6
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Vampy

He was French
But he died king of England
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 10:41   #7
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
I'm just relieved it wasnt David Beckham or Princess Diana or someone equally ridiculous.
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 11:09   #8
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
Dowding, but only cos i'm related to him.
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 11:10   #9
Lord Boredom

Quote:
Originally posted by Apothos
I'm just relieved it wasnt David Beckham or Princess Diana or someone equally ridiculous.
Princess Di came 3rd didn't she.. which was fairly ridiculous.
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 11:14   #10
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I wanted Brunel to win... at least it wasn't Princess Diana though.
My girlfriend was extremely disapointed that Darwin only came 4th...
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 11:18   #11
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Ste
My girlfriend was extremely disapointed that Darwin only came 4th...
As was I............
perhaps you should introduce us
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 11:21   #12
Geeza
Dances With Sheep

Geeza is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Cmdr_Cyrax

I hate to break it to you but i think he died sometime in the 19th century...

(ho ho ho)
Of godlike hardship tells me I must die
Like a sick eagle looking at the sky.
---
Zak
Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 11:21   #13
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Cmdr_Cyrax

As was I............
sorry, i think i'm as geeky as she can handle. (and i'm not that geeky!)
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 12:02   #14
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Diana only came third, which redeemed some element of credibility for it all.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 15:22   #15
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all
My favourite quote of Winston Churchill, spoken by a member of Parliament shortly after his death in 1965: It remains a fantastic description and a wonderful comment on his life. I am paraphrasing, as I am writing it from memory:

"Winston was wrong about Russia, he was wrong about France, he was wrong about America. He was wrong about Norway and about Australia and Canada. He was wrong about India and Burma, and he was wrong about South Africa. Winston was wrong about women, he was wrong about Labour, he was wrong about Empire, he was wrong about air power. He was wrong about taxation, he was wrong about welfare, he was wrong about the Arts and about the role of the government in British Culture. He was wrong about West Germany, he was wrong about food programs, and he was wrong about the future of the Monarchy. He was wrong about Gallipoli, and he was wrong in his naval program as First Sea lord.

In fact, is his entire tenure in British government, Winston was only ever right about one thing, and that was the Nazis. Mind you, if you ever had to pick ONE thing to be right about..."

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 15:35   #16
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
This is why democracy is a bad idea.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 15:44   #17
ELeeming
Cultured

ELeeming is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
What happened to Jenny?
God Told Me To Do It
Just Another Victim Of The Ambient Morality
Synchronise Your Dogmas
My site (well, kind of. Actually not at all, but it has my name on it in several places)
Aargh! Killer Bee attack! (\o/) (/o\) (\o/) (/o\)
ELeeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 15:47   #18
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
Yes well, everyone talks about his famous first term in office, when he rallied the nation, fought evil against great odds and through willpower and voice alone brought the people of britain and the government to believe in final victory even when it looked impossible, and when he stood like a bulwark against a tide which had swpt across everyone ebfore it until then...

Nobody speaks of his less famous second term in office when he tried to keep the Empire under British control, risked an assortment of wars over nothing, fell asleep in parliament and accomplished evry little...

Unread 25 Nov 2002, 15:53   #19
laputa
Xanadu

laputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to behold
Shakespeare comes to mind. Or the guys from Monty Python.

[23:33] <@Divine> hmm I think I may have a new GF aswell
[23:33] <@Divine> but dunno yet if I want a new GF so early in the round
laputa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 16:01   #20
[GAP]Obiwan

[GAP]Obiwan is an unknown quantity at this point
well churchill won my vote by the quote:

<person1-whose_name_i_forget> If i was your wife i'd poison your tea!
<Churchill> And if i was YOUR husband i'd drink it!
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
[GAP]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 19:06   #21
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
My mom is the greatest briton since she gave birth to me

and shes the only one whos alive so there
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 19:22   #22
Trevize

Quote:
Originally posted by Vampy

He was French
Dont make comments on history if you know nothing about it, ta.

I was happy with Churchill to win... dont know how Newton didnt get higher though...
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 19:27   #23
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
The fact that Diana or Lennon were in the top 10 is a travesty.

At least someone decent won.
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 19:35   #24
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
The Beatles, and especially Lennon, were over-rated.
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 19:37   #25
Vermillion
Historian

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrism
The Beatles, and especially Lennon, were over-rated.
As in 'their accmplishments and effect on the music world was exaggerated and not as significant as people think' - They were overrated? OR 'I did not personally like them' - they were overrated?

Unread 25 Nov 2002, 19:38   #26
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
I watched the "Vote for Lennon" programme, but it just said how he was a druggy. There was very little in favour of him. It doesn't stop Alan Davies being top class though, even if he supported Lennon. Jonathon Creek rocks.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 19:42   #27
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
The fact that Diana or Lennon were in the top 10 is a travesty.

At least someone decent won.
Meh.

Id say Lennon is defensible (although I wouldnt personally agree). If you accept that having Shakespeare or Dickens in the top ranks, then you cant really have a valid objection. Producing great songs cant really be called more trivial than penning great plays, or writing great books. (Not that I think all 3 actually performed these functions)
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 19:46   #28
Haer
Aquafresh

Haer has a spectacular aura aboutHaer has a spectacular aura aboutHaer has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by [GAP]Obiwan
well churchill won my vote by the quote:

<person1-whose_name_i_forget> If i was your wife i'd poison your tea!
<Churchill> And if i was YOUR husband i'd drink it!
<person-whose name I forget> Winston, Your drunk.
<Churchill>Yes, and your ugly, but in the morning I'll be sober and you'll still be ugly.

(Or something to that effect)

Haer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 19:47   #29
Chrism
Governor General

Quote:
Originally posted by Vermillion
As in 'their accmplishments and effect on the music world was exaggerated and not as significant as people think' - They were overrated? OR 'I did not personally like them' - they were overrated?
The 1st

I myself like The Beatles and many of their songs, but they are not the world's greatest ever musicians.
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 19:52   #30
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
Quote:
I think he means the latter, unfortunatly. Their accmplishments and effect on the music world was VERY significant, and it's a shame that music is goin to **** these days...the world needs another 'Beatles'.....soon
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 19:57   #31
Chrism
Governor General

Of course I like The Beatles - I'm from Liverpool you fools!
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 20:14   #32
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:

Yes well, everyone talks about his famous first term in office, when he rallied the nation, fought evil against great odds and through willpower and voice alone brought the people of britain and the government to believe in final victory even when it looked impossible, and when he stood like a bulwark against a tide which had swpt across everyone ebfore it until then...
- begin opinionated talk -
He rallied a country ready to be rallied; a great leader, like Lenin, rallies people who don't want to be. Churchill wasn't a particularly good tactitian and wasn't an outstanding speaker. He is not great in any sense of the word. Shakespeare all the way!!!
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 20:31   #33
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
heh

I find it stupid that Princess Di came third, above Darwin and Shakespeare... i mean, seriously!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 20:34   #34
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Of course I like The Beatles - I'm from Liverpool you fools!
Calm down, calm down!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 20:37   #35
Chrism
Governor General

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
- begin opinionated talk -
He rallied a country ready to be rallied; a great leader, like Lenin, rallies people who don't want to be. Churchill wasn't a particularly good tactitian and wasn't an outstanding speaker. He is not great in any sense of the word. Shakespeare all the way!!!
He was a great orator, writer, leader and parliamentarian, and amongst other talents wasn't too bad at painting.
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 20:53   #36
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Weeks

If i had of voted for him, i would of voted because of his actions rather than his music anyways.
getting shot?

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevise
I was happy with Churchill to win... dont know how Newton didnt get higher though...
Put it down to gravity

Why oh why did Cromwell come last?
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 20:57   #37
Vermillion
Historian

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
I think you obverestimate the will of the people in June 1940. The fall of France and the low countries kicked the legs out from under the British people, and there was a strong current of defeatism and desire for a negotiated peace. Churchill was an excellent speaker, his skill at rhetoric, cademce and reponsivness is astonishing. He also had a great will to him, he rallied people not just with words but with actions. A lesser man would have not been able to do this.

His grasp of military tactics was average, and his grasp of world politics was from an era 50 years earlier, but one cannot underestimate the effect he had on the British in those critial hours prior to the battle of Britain.

Unread 25 Nov 2002, 20:57   #38
Chrism
Governor General

Quote:
Originally posted by Phang
Why oh why did Cromwell come last?
He was a dictator maybe, and responsible for many of the problems that bedevil N. Ireland even today?
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 21:07   #39
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:
He was a dictator maybe, and responsible for many of the problems that bedevil N. Ireland even today?
Pish.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote