User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 30 Oct 2002, 13:17   #1
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
PHP for retards tutorial

anyone got a url for such thing (me being the retard !)

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 13:27   #2
Dudels

There's one at webmonkey.com

Covers the basics of PHP and also mySQL.
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 13:45   #3
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dudels

thank you for that. I will have a look at it today

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 14:04   #4
Cocaine

Quote:

Thats the tutorial I used to get started as its quite ace. Once you've got the basics working www.php.net has a list of all (i think) the functions that are available and how to use them \o/
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 16:55   #5
Rythms

http://selfphp.info o some similar url has quite nice descriptions for each function ..
use these and a tutorial and it should be quite easy.
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 17:06   #6
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.webmasterbase.com/
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 18:04   #7
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
can any1 tell me reasons for learning php? is it just for website design?

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 18:08   #8
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
website backend, you mean
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 19:48   #9
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by sh@dow
can any1 tell me reasons for learning php? is it just for website design?
Normally when you get a page from a website, your computer sends an http request to the webserver, the webserver finds the HTML file you want and transfers it straight down the phone line back to your PC. This is fine, except when you want the page to be dynamic, i.e. changing. At the top of the page I'm currently typing in, it says Logged in user: Miserableman - this is great for me, but would suck for everyone else. What would be ideal would be if the webserver could somehow construct the page at the time it was requested, meaning it can change the page depending on what the current state of the world is (e.g. who is the user, what is the time, etc) The webserver can do this, and one of the languages to code these instructions in is php.

Any php script embedded in a page is intepreted before the page is transmitted. So if an HTML page looks something like:

Code:
<html>
<body bgcolor=white>
<?php print("Hello World");?>
</body>
</html>
The webserver, before transmitting the page, would interpret the php instructions within. Print("Hello World"); in php is equivalent to simply writing Hello World on a line in HTML. The HTML that gets sent to your browser is:

Code:
<html>
<body bgcolor=white>
Hello World
</body>
</html>
and your browser interprets this accordingly. It neither knows nor cares whether the above was just read straight from a file or generated by php.
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 19:58   #10
Dudels

Quote:
Originally posted by Rythms
http://selfphp.info o some similar url has quite nice descriptions for each function ..
use these and a tutorial and it should be quite easy.

Not recommended if you can't read German.
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 19:46   #11
PsyDe

As stated before, www.php.net is The Resource if you have learned some PHP.
But if you want immediate answers to your questions, go to #php on irc.netgamers.org (PAnet).
Unread 1 Nov 2002, 17:02   #12
Rythms

Quote:

Not recommended if you can't read German.
ooops, sry
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 12:51   #13
BuddhistPunk

BuddhistPunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by PsyDe
As stated before, www.php.net is The Resource if you have learned some PHP.
But if you want immediate answers to your questions, go to #php on irc.netgamers.org (PAnet).
Help from an IRC channel LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL.

I wouldnt be surprised if the channel users had a script setup to reply RTFM to anything that ends in '?'

I will admit I havent been to the channel mentioned, but my judgement is clouded after way to many years on the net.

IMHO Go with WebMonkey, then use php.net as a resource - it might be worth looking up some cheap PHP book on ebay.
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 14:04   #14
Evermore
overfished

Evermore is on a distinguished road
I've been to the channel mentioned:

(chip): Ever: due to the nature of your hosting provider I am unable to provide any further support. Please find a better host.

haven't been back since.
Evermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 14:23   #15
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Evermore
I've been to the channel mentioned:

(chip): Ever: due to the nature of your hosting provider I am unable to provide any further support. Please find a better host.

haven't been back since.
It's the nature of the beast where linux users are concerned

I make 'funny' (debatable I know) remarks then provide help if possible, probably because while I know the basics (and some subjects in depth) I'm still something of a newbie

That said, I know fk all about PHP so can't even begin to help you there, sorry.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 16:08   #16
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
just as well we're so helpful in #linux !

i expect you can get php help there too if you're in need...

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 19:12   #17
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Slidey
just as well we're so helpful in #linux !

i expect you can get php help there too if you're in need...
Have to say, #linux on netgamers is probably the only linux channel I know of where it's possible to get real help without 'RTFM, n00b' comments
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 19:31   #18
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk

Have to say, #linux on netgamers is probably the only linux channel I know of where it's possible to get real help without 'RTFM, n00b' comments
This is a sign that you need to RTFM.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 19:40   #19
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by queball

This is a sign that you need to RTFM.
I always RTFM. But when you consider how out of date most HOW-TOs actually are...
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 11:23   #20
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Back on topic

I decided to have a look at PHP myself and found this tutorial, looks good for anyone new to PHP and refreshed my memory as it's been about 8 years since I last touched a C compiler...

Now to find a decent MySQL/PHP tutorial...
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 12:06   #21
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
back off topic - I know a few 1/2 decent place to go for linux help (sometimes decent anyway) try #linuxhelp on chatjunkies or #linux in quakenet, the pa #linux is arse btw

p.s has anyone read php in easy steps before? I was thinking about getting it but not sure if its crap or not

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 12:18   #22
Gayle29uk
Bitch

I'm tempted to invest in "PHP+MySQL for Dummies" as a primer, I've spent years recommending them (for dummies books) to newbies and as I'm a PHP newbie perhaps I should take my own advice
das blinkenlights!!!