User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Nov 2002, 01:00   #1
BuddhistPunk

BuddhistPunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Land of the brave, home of the..well you decide

They say you learn something new everyday, and I would say that is largely correct if you open your senses to what surrounds you. Today I learnt about UN Human Rights Treaties.

As not to hijack THIS thread, I have created a new thread to discuss parts of THIS website.

Quote:
The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) bans the use of the death penalty against those under 18 at the time of a crime. Today the USA is one of only two countries out of 193 not to have ratified the CRC. Even China, a nation renowned for human rights abuses, abolished the death penalty for offenders under 18 at the time of the crime in order to be compliant with the CRC obligations. In November 1999, the Supreme Court of the United States of America refused to hear arguments that the execution of children amounted to cruel and unusual punishment contrary to the Eighth Amendment of United States Constitution.

Since 1990, 19 people worldwide are known to have been executed for crimes committed when they were under 18. 10 were executed in the USA, the other nine were put to death in Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Yemen. The last 6 judicial executions of child offend-ers have happened as follows; one in Nigeria, one in Iran and four in the United States of America. These last four, are the only such executions known in the world in the past 24 months. So, the country that holds itself out to be the most developed society in the world condones what is now considered one of the most inhumane and cruel acts by the rest of the world. Ironically, two of the countries that have been most vociferously condemned by the USA in the last 50 years, South Africa and Russia, have both abolished the death penalty altogether within the last decade.
Not being one to believe everything I read in the internet, I did some googling and found :

http://www.oneworld.org/child_rights/child_rights.html
http://www.immigration-usa.com/teddy/unicef.html

Quote:
....the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women, which was signed by the United States 17 years ago, still has not been ratified....
So "Land of the brave, home of the...", you decide.

EDIT : Just incase you dont get it, this isnt about the death penalty, its about the Convention on the Rights of the Child and the USA disinterest in ratifying it

Last edited by BuddhistPunk; 14 Nov 2002 at 01:13.
BuddhistPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 01:02   #2
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
..worst tv in the world"

Stats, stats, stats. Inhumanity isnt just based on the death penalty blh blah blah.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 01:03   #3
BuddhistPunk

Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
..worst tv in the world"

Stats, stats, stats. Inhumanity isnt just based on the death penalty blh blah blah.
Shall we try again, its simple really, read the thread, digest its contents, make a comment on the subject matter.

Childs play
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 01:21   #4
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
bah im sorry

but the quality of reply isnt going to improve

All you are going to get
is pro american pricks
and anti american pricks
being pricks

to each other.

Theres no point, theres no medium.

And itll undoubtably be one of the biggest threads come tommorow

all fkn american threads are

Unread 14 Nov 2002, 01:38   #5
Ulysses
Impudent

Ulysses is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BuddhistPunk

Shall we try again, its simple really, read the thread, digest its contents, make a comment on the subject matter.

Childs play
They dont have many children, they are too busy executing them.
Ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 01:55   #6
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Americans have this hangup of not giving in to any nonamerican authority. Same problem as with kyoto etc really.

I suggest we let this thread die a silent death.
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 01:58   #7
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Lakhim is on a distinguished road
Oh yes, limiting people to two children per family isnt worse then applying the death penelty to people who have killed or worse

please
Know how I said I would be event DMing today? Well I was lying and instead decided to take the social life option. You'll get your DMings tomorrow, event-tually. Hohoho.
Lakhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 03:35   #8
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

The Convention of the Rights of the Child (CRC) is a typical "feel-good" UN resolution, that spells out lofty goals while providing no international enforcement. While I have no objection, in principle, to the US ratifying such fluff, I don't have any illusions that it's going to make any significant difference to the children currently being exploited in various countries around the world (including, specifically, those countries which have already ratified the CRC). And of course, any sense of urgency is completely misplaced.

The United States has, in fact, already signed the Convention and will undoubtably get around to ratifying it eventually--but I suspect the process will take many years. For example, the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide took more than 30 years to be ratified in the United States, and the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW), which was signed by the United States 19 years ago, still has not been ratified. No doubt the forthcoming Convention on the Abolition of all Possible Kinds of Injustice will require a similarly long ratification period (that last one's a joke, btw, for the humor impaired).

With respect to the provision concerning executions of minors, this conflict was also addressed in 1992 when the United States ratified the Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which also has a prohibition on the execution of minors. To address that conflict, the Bush (Sr) Administration chose to take a reservation on that specific issue, and the Senate gave its advice and consent to that reservation. This essentially means that the United States did not ratify that part of the treaty. A similar action will likely be taken when the US gets around to ratifying the CRC.

We now return you to the latest anti-US rant, rejoined in progress.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 04:45   #9
Nixjim
Commander

Nixjim is an unknown quantity at this point
The correct quote is "The land of the free, and the Home of the brave".
Nixjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 05:05   #10
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
Most lawyers are probably willing to **** Cherie Blair after getting her hubbie to make the UN declaration of HUman RIghts as well as the EU Directive Law

THA AMOUNT OF WIERD AND WONDERFUL LAW SUITS WE CAN GET IS LIMITLESS

Lovely Law #1 in the UK: Its illegal for yer skool to conviscate your walkman while listening to it in lesson due to the fact it infringes upon your human right to have your own property

Im tempted to become a lawyer
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 05:14   #11
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks

Lovely Law #1 in the UK: Its illegal for yer skool to conviscate your walkman while listening to it in lesson due to the fact it infringes upon your human right to have your own property
Nothing wrong with that at all. Confiscating things in school is stupid. If people are listening to their walkmans during class, then throw them out of the class. Simple.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 05:56   #12
Cuddley_Battleship
Luminous Flux

Cuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these parts
It's 'land of the free and home of the brave' to the ignoramus who started this thread.
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 06:49   #13
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick
and it most certainly does not apply to kids because they lack the capicity to think at some levels.
i stopped reading there.

what you are basically saying is that anyone who may have learning difficulties, or be mentally handicapped, or maybe just below average intelligence shouldnt have rights because 'they lack the capacity to think at some levels'?
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 07:49   #14
Ulysses
Impudent

Ulysses is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by the_dastardley_chihuahua

i stopped reading there.

what you are basically saying is that anyone who may have learning difficulties, or be mentally handicapped, or maybe just below average intelligence shouldnt have rights because 'they lack the capacity to think at some levels'?
That was the same point at which I stopped as well.
Ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 09:52   #15
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

in britain we have the double jeapodary rule

aka worst law ever

so i suppose we should shut up

Unread 14 Nov 2002, 10:44   #16
ReZpawner

that would be nice.
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 10:56   #17
BuddhistPunk

Quote:
Originally posted by Nixjim
The correct quote is "The land of the free, and the Home of the brave".
Quote:
Originally posted by Cuddley_Battleship
It's 'land of the free and home of the brave' to the ignoramus who started this thread.
You two have missed the point in such a dramatic style that I am surprised you survived when it flew over the top of yours heads a mach speed.

Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
in britain we have the double jeapodary rule

aka worst law ever

so i suppose we should shut up
Not for much longer
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 11:12   #18
ReZpawner

heh
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 15:28   #19
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by Ulysses

That was the same point at which I stopped as well.

Really? I stopped reading when I saw the writer was 'Rick'. It just took you guys a little longer to figure out what a waste of space his posts are.

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2002, 16:17   #20
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus

the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW), which was signed by the United States 19 years ago, still has not been ratified.
Good post.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that in the 80s (soon after we signed that crap) CEDAW (which met in Paris) went through a decade long period in which they managed to spend something like 90% of their annual budget within Paris. It was crap.

However, it has improved and was just approved in subcommittee recently. Thanks to the recent elections, look for it to get shot down come January.

In general though, just look to W's post. America doesn't like these kinds of international agreements. Hell, we never joined the League of Nations, which was created by the American president (WW).
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote