User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Feb 2005, 15:57   #1
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
So.. very.. P/O'ed at the moment.

After long having given up hope of ever making it into the Beta for the game of my dreams I recieved an email today saying I had been accepted. However during the signup process it prompted for credit card details, needless to say I don't have one
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 15:59   #2
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Re: So.. very.. P/O'ed at the moment.

What are you asking of me then
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 15:59   #3
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

id do it for you in a snap... sadly i don't have a credit cards.

im sure there'll be some charitable young man here who will though.

(heh heh heh)
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 16:02   #4
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

heh, not quite what I meant, I'm more just venting frustration. I'm too morally inclined to accept a strangers C/C details for my own enjoyment.
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 16:24   #5
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

whats the game?
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 16:31   #6
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by madi
whats the game?
I didn't mention because as this is my first beta I'm not sure what the NDA allows me to say / not say.
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 17:07   #7
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

given you dont have a cc, and so cant/havent sign(ed) up for the beta, what does it matter?
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 18:49   #8
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idimmu
Madi V 0.1b
hehe
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 23:18   #9
Summanus
Banned

Summanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really nice

The GuildWars beta will be so much better dude
Summanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 05:16   #10
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
So you don't have a debit card?

Can't you just ask your mum?
credit only, debit cards not accepted, and yes I've tried the ol' girl, but frankly that's like extracting teeth with pliers.

Anyway I don't think there's any harm in the name, it was a beta account for Matrix Online.
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 09:56   #11
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Did you actually try with a debit card? Normally when places say Credit they mean either...
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 11:26   #12
djbass
mmm.. pills

It specifically says in big red writing debit cards not accepted, and it says no charge will be applied it's just for verification. I'd likely say it's more of an opt-out deal so when they officially launch in a couple months time they roll over to a charge account if you don't cancel.
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 18:18   #13
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Just play WoW and stop pissing about.
One problem.. I despise warcraft since they made it 3D, and if number three is any indication of the direction they were heading with WoW then I'll stay as far away from that as possible thankyou.
Unread 18 Feb 2005, 20:54   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
I didn't mention because as this is my first beta I'm not sure what the NDA allows me to say / not say.
I'm pretty sure they lifted the NDA on The Matrix Online a few days ago.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 19:07   #15
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

Quote:
One problem.. I despise warcraft since they made it 3D, and if number three is any indication of the direction they were heading with WoW then I'll stay as far away from that as possible thankyou.

Play it, and realise how wrong your are. WoW is a really REALLY good game.
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 19:18   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veX
Yeah, but so's WC3.
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 19:36   #17
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Warcraft 3 was your bog standard RTS though, whereas WoW (as I understand it) is not your bog standard MMORPG.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 19:42   #18
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
Warcraft 3 was your bog standard RTS though.
Damn straight, every single RTS has a hero system.
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 19:46   #19
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

It was the only thing in the game that was "different" though, and it wasn't that major a system anyway.
Unread 20 Feb 2005, 00:32   #20
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Damn straight, every single RTS has a hero system.
Ironically, that's the one thing in the game I hated, and hated enough to turn me off the entire game.

It was a 'nice' concept, but lets face it the game inevitably becomes all about the hero all the other units are just gun fodder. This does not represent balanced gameplay to me, no one unit should ever be a tank in a good rts.
Unread 20 Feb 2005, 00:35   #21
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
a good rts.
see it was with this phrase that you lost me

Unread 20 Feb 2005, 01:04   #22
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
see it was with this phrase that you lost me

heh, you haven't seen one such game that took your fancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by veX
Actually, I will go as far as to say that until now I haven't bothered to look at the features etc. Yes it looks like a mighty fine game, but I'm so over this whole fantasy theme. I'd still choose MxO over WoW anyday.
Unread 20 Feb 2005, 01:36   #23
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i hate the idea that strategy requires a few seconds to devise or that tactics are who can click first.

hence i hate the rise of rts

poor me.
Unread 20 Feb 2005, 01:47   #24
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
i hate the idea that strategy requires a few seconds to devise or that tactics are who can click first.

hence i hate the rise of rts

poor me.
Ahh.. but you see this brings me to my point, a good rts is one that doesn't suffer the above.

It's exactly the points you mention that's wrong with the modern rts.

Tactics should start at the beginning of the game and follow through to the end, this has not been my experience with anything released over the last 8-9 years.

I agree totally, the rts genre has fallen to better please the action gamers I suspect.
Unread 20 Feb 2005, 12:17   #25
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

Ground Control thanks.

p.s. Populous 3 had a hero system (1 & 2 also?)
Unread 20 Feb 2005, 12:21   #26
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

WoW is pretty sodding awesome, and i wasn't particularly overwhelmed by WC3.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2005, 12:45   #27
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

WC3 wasnt anything in particular, it was ok to play in single player because of the nice story though.

I'd have to say i agree with most posters who said that tatics usually come down to who can build/click most in the shortest space of time.

One thing about WC3 though, some of the mod maps for it are ****ing awesome, Defence Of the Anchients for example, in which you get just one hero and fa else. Hard to explain tho, play it its good

You can download it at www.thewarcenter.com

Theres other good ones like the mario party maps too, theyre always a hoot.
Unread 20 Feb 2005, 16:03   #28
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
Ground Control thanks.

p.s. Populous 3 had a hero system (1 & 2 also?)
Nothing like it, and I wouldn't call any of the Populous series rts either, more of a god sim. I know cause I spent a large portion of my childhood playing them. Some hero anyway, he amalgamates with all the other followers before throwing himself at the other gods leader like a lemming.
Unread 20 Feb 2005, 16:13   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
It was a 'nice' concept, but lets face it the game inevitably becomes all about the hero all the other units are just gun fodder.
They're really not, you know. A level 5 hero and a badly designed force will lose badly to a level 1 hero and a well designed force.

Franky, all RTS games have "tanks". It's just that in WC3, you can't make your entire army out of them.